PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Subforum Name

Tamur
11-11-2004, 00:04
Let's get the most important item stared first --- what do we call this place?

'Research'? 'Game Research'? 'De Machina'? Suggest away....

Maltz
11-11-2004, 00:09
If it is for Research... I guess we can call it "Academy" or "Academia" as in Latin? ~:)

Akka
11-11-2004, 00:20
Isn't the game itself giving us a hint ? ^^

I vote for "Ludus Magna" or "Scriptorium" :)

Sin Qua Non
11-11-2004, 01:11
Ludus Magna is also the first thing that came to my mind. Another vote for Ludus Magna.

therother
11-11-2004, 01:50
I suspect the academic buildings are going to be popular choices. One thing I would say is that, AFAIK, these buildings were generally teaching establishments, whereas this forum is for research.

Medieval Assassin
11-11-2004, 03:10
The Senate

Serious discussion about serious topics.

Sin Qua Non
11-11-2004, 03:17
How about the Lyceum? Either Aristotle's academy, or a public speaking forum? That has a public, research oriented feel to it.

Tamur
11-11-2004, 05:25
Although a point in favour of 'Ludus Magna' is that ludus is Latin for 'game' as well as 'school' ...for anyone who enjoys obscure puns.

MiniKiller
11-11-2004, 05:48
How about "The Senate" considering we are researching stuff and making decisions as a group. just minus the whol assasination attempts ~:cheers:

Quillan
11-11-2004, 05:58
Forum Romanum

Silver Rusher
11-11-2004, 08:30
Senate I say

Or Academy

They are good choices.

Ludus Magna may be a tiny bit too obscure, as well as Forum Romanum.

sapi
11-11-2004, 08:33
'The senate' would imply arguement, which hopefully wont happen :)

vote for Ludus Magna

Somebody Else
11-11-2004, 09:37
Campus Martius?

Although, one would think that would be more suited to a multiplayer room.

One thing that would be interesting would be to rename all the rooms along a similar theme - say temples or something.

Leet Eriksson
11-11-2004, 09:55
most things that are researched are on units and tactics basically, so i'm guessing something related to a "war room" would be better, where generals and commanders plan for campaigns and such... it would be better if there was a latin equivelant of course.

Captain Fishpants
11-11-2004, 11:33
"The Praetor's Tent", outside of which stand the original Praetorian Guard?

Rosacrux redux
11-11-2004, 11:40
Allthough "Forum Romanum" is an old favorite of mine, I'd vote for Ludus Magna. It's gamey, in-game, completely relevant and carries a deeper meaning (ok, a deeper pun really ~;) ) for those interested.

Octavius Julius
11-11-2004, 11:49
I like the idea of Forum Romanum.

How about calling it Curia.

The Curia was the Roman senate house.

The name of this forum should deffinitely be Roman as the game is about Rome. Lets stay away from any Greek or other culture names please.

*Ringo*
11-11-2004, 11:55
Gotta be one of the Academy line buidings for me also! Although Captain Fishpants' tent seems like an interesting place! :rolleyes3:

*Ringo*

R'as al Ghul
11-11-2004, 13:50
Since we try to maximize our knowledge about deep game mechanics
in contrast to questions which are easily answered by the
(not-so-complete) manual (like "how do I sap walls?" :wall:),
we should go for an academy like title.
Using one of the in-game building-names might even be self-explaining.

R'as

Tamur
11-11-2004, 17:20
We're all ears still, and will probably make a decision tomorrow morning (GMT). Just to sum up, we've got:

Ludus Magna - 7 votes
The Senate - 3 votes + 1 Florida baloteer
Academy/Academia - 2 votes
Campus Martius - 2 votes
Forum Romanum - 2 votes
Curia - 1 vote
Lyceum - 1 vote
The Praetor's Tent - 1 vote
... plus 2 indirect votes for Academy-line building titles

Medieval Assassin
11-11-2004, 17:52
*walks in with disguise on*

The Senate!

Catiline
11-11-2004, 19:03
The senate and Forum Romanum aren't erally appropriate. Ludus Magna lookthe best bet to me.

Sociopsychoactive
11-11-2004, 19:24
Yet another (late) vote for ludus magna, while many others are good suggestions this one tells you all you need to know.

MerlinusCDXX
11-11-2004, 21:55
most things that are researched are on units and tactics basically, so i'm guessing something related to a "war room" would be better, where generals and commanders plan for campaigns and such... it would be better if there was a latin equivelant of course.

As posted right before, Campus Martius would be the closest Latin for "war room" campus= camp, Martius= of Mars, so Mars' camp, ie war camp.

so to sum up, add another vote for Campus Martius :duel:

Medieval Assassin
11-11-2004, 22:32
Whats the pun with ludus magna. . . ?

Silver Rusher
11-11-2004, 22:37
I think Ludus Magna has pretty much won already, might as well make it that.

Tamur
11-11-2004, 23:58
Whats the pun with ludus magna. . . ?

hi MA -- see my post above (#8 I think) -- it's a pun in Latin rather than in English, and so rather obscure.

Due to the large run on votes for "Ludus Magna", we'll be going with that name. For any who have reservations, you may want to check this page (http://www.cavazzi.com/roman-empire/tours/rome/ludus-magnus.html) quickly, and then Google-search for Ludus Magnus and read up. It actually has a good tie-in in many ways to this forum.

Purists may wince at the "Magna", but we'll go with the game's naming convention. Thanks everyone for the input!

therother
11-12-2004, 00:02
Ludus Magna it is then. Thanks for the input everyone. May our collaborative research efforts produce glorious fruit!

As this thread has now run its course, it will be closed. Our thanks to those who participated!

Somebody Else
11-12-2004, 01:44
As posted right before, Campus Martius would be the closest Latin for "war room" campus= camp, Martius= of Mars, so Mars' camp, ie war camp.

so to sum up, add another vote for Campus Martius :duel:

Ehh.... if my memory serves, campus means field. The Campus Martius was a field outside Rome, where young citizens learned the craft of war. I think it was also the closest a returning general could bring his army before surrendering his command (unless he had a Triumph - OT: little videos of Triumphs would have been a nice touch in the game). I think the legions used to be raised on this field as well - but I could be wrong.

*edit*

Hmm, started writing in the RTW 2 sub-forum, finished in the Ludus Magna...