PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Samurai

FwSeal
07-25-2001, 01:29
Here are a few more lesser-known sengoku period figures...

HORIIE KAGETADA
d.1576
Kagetada succeded his grandfather Kagezane and was a vassal of the Asakura. He led 1,000 troops in Asakura Norikage's attack on Daishôji in Kaga Province in 1555. Kagetada grew in power within the Asakura retainer band and drew the suspicion of Asakura Yoshikage, who in 1567 accused Kagetaka of treasonous behavior. After a military confrontation between the two families, peace was made and Kagetada went off to Noto Province in retirement. He returned to active life and Echizen in 1574, when that province was in the throes of an ikko-ikki insurrection. When Oda Nobunaga regained control of Echizen (which he had taken from the Asakura in 1573), he accepted the services of the Horie and gave Kagetada's son a fief. Nobunaga changed his mind in 1576, however, and ordered Kagetada and his son to commit suicide.

KYOGOKU Wakasa no kami TAKATSUGU
(1560-1609)
Takatsugu was the heir of Kyogoku Takayoshi, a nominal vassal of the Asai of Omi. Takatsugu first served Oda Nobunaga, whose niece he married. At the time of Akechi Mitsuhide's rebellion against Nobunaga in 1582, Takatsugu attempted to take advantage of the situation with an abortive attack on Nagahama Castle in Ômi Province. Mitsuhide was soon destroyed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi at Yamazaki, however, and Takatsugu found himself isolated. He therefore sought the protection of Hori Hidemasa, who conveyed him into the service of Shibata Katsuie. When Katsuie was defeated by Hideyoshi and commited suicide in 1583, Takatsugu fled to the estate of Takeda Motoaki (who was married to Takatsugu's sister). Motoaki was killed soon afterwards on Toyotomi Hideyoshi's orders, but Takatsugu was given a fief even as his sister was to taken as a concubine to Hideyoshi at Osaka Castle. Perhaps due to this connection, Takatsugu enjoyed great favor by Hideyoshi and his income was progressively raised from 2,500 koku to 10,000, 28,000, and finally 60,000-koku and Ôtsu Castle in Ômi Province. In 1600 he sided with Tokugawa Ieyasu and as a result was besieged by a 'western' army of 15,000 men. After a few days fighting he surrendered and fled to Mt. Kôya, though he was later granted a 92,000-koku fief in Wakasa Province at Obama.
His sons included Tadataka and Tadamasa.

OBATA NOBUSADA
(1540-1592)
Nobusada joined the Takeda around 1560 after fleeing his lands in Kôzuke Province. He had his old fief restored to him by Shingen the following year and proved to be one of the latter's most dependable generals. He led large forces at the Battles of Mimasetoge and Mikatagahara and was very useful in the Takeda's Kôzuke campaigns. He commanded somewhere around 500 men at the Battle of Nagashino for Takeda Katsuyori. When the Takeda fell in 1582, he joined first Takigawa Kazumasa and then the Hôjô, finally ending up with Sanada Masayuki (1590).

ODA NOBUSUMI
(d.1582)
Nobusumi was the son of Oda Nobuyuki, Nobunaga's younger brother. Despite the fact that his father had been killed on Nobunaga's orders, Nobusumi continued in his uncle's service and was given Ômizo Castle in Ômi Province. In 1578 he was stationed in Osaka, and remained there until his death four years later. He accompanied his cousin Nobuo on the 1581 inasion of Iga Province and the following year took part in the invasion the Takeda domain, this time under his cousin Oda Nobutada. He was to join his cousin Nobutada in a projected invasion of Shikoku, but this was cut short by the death of Nobunaga in June 1582. As Nobusumi was married to a daughter of Akechi Mitsuhide, Nobutaka doubted his loyalty and when they were preparing to join Hideyoshi's army to attack Mitsuhide, Nobusumi was murdered on his cousin's orders.

TAKEDA Gyôbushôyû NOBUKADO
1529-1582
Nobukado was Takeda Nobutora's 3rd son and a younger brother of Takeda Shingen. While not known as a great captain, he was an avid painter (examples of his work survive to the present day, including portraits of his mother and father) and a man of learning in general. He also acted as his brother's double from time to time. After Shingen's death, he served as an advisor to Katsuyori and fought at Nagashino (1575). He held Takato Castle in Shinano until his nephew (and in fact son-in-law) Nishina Morinobu came of age and took over the position. When Oda Nobunaga invaded the Takeda lands in 1582, Nobukado attempted to flee but was captured and beheaded by Oda troops at the Zenkoji in Shinano province. There is a theory that Nobukado, as opposed to Shingen, had in fact been the one to fend off an attack by a lone Uesugi horseman in the course of the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima (that horseman being either Uesugi Kenshin himself or a Uesugi retainer by the name of Arakawa).

YOKOMICHI Hyogonosuke
d.1570
Hyogonosuke was a retainer of Amako Yoshihisa and distinguished himself at the Siege of Gassan-Toda Castle. When the castle was surrendered to the Môri, Hyogonosuke went to Kyoto and at first took up with Matsunaga Hisahide. When Hyogonosuke learned that Yamanaka Shikanosuke was raising an army to restore the Amako, he hastened to join him after obtaining Hisahide's permisson. Before he left, Hisahide gave him a suit of armor and sword and saw him on his way. In battle with the Môri in Izumo Province, he fought bravely and killed Awaya Matazaemon and Tado Saemon. Unfortunatly, he was stabbed by an assasin sent by a rival within his own party. He is considered one of the 'Ten Heroes' of the Amako family.

jskirwin@yahoo.com
07-25-2001, 01:44
Nice post on some of the "supporting characters" from this period.

------------------
The Buddha is a gyoza. If you find the Buddha, eat him.

Zen Blade
07-25-2001, 08:10
Seal,

if I remember correctly...
Kyogoku was married to Asai Nagamasa's 3rd daughter.

One was to Ieyasu's son, one to Hideyoshi, and one to Kyogoku.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
SHS Core Member

FwSeal
07-27-2001, 12:29
Quite right, Zen - bit of an oversight on my part. Kyogoku, all things considered, lived a charmed life - due in part, one must assume, to his beautiful sister, whom, as mentioned, Hideyoshi became quite taken with...

Shuko
07-30-2001, 21:07
Have just started reading "The Life of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu" by A.L. Sadler. Will try to post more of the more interesting bits here for this forum.

FwSeal
07-31-2001, 02:57
Sadler's book is one of my old favorites (I've had the same dog-eared copy for about ten years now). I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Ieyasu and the 16th Century in Japan. While I'd say it is not a very objective book (Ieyasu appears without warts throughout the text, and some of the facts presented seem the stuff of Edo Period - and thus pro-Ieyasu - spin-doctoring http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif, 'The Maker of Modern Japan' is a great departure from the two extremes that mark modern western takes on the sengoku period, those being the scholarly texts of Stanford, Harvard, ect... and Turnbull. Whereas the scholars tend to downplay the military aspects of the sengoku period, and Turnbull tends to over-state them, Sadler's book is a well-balanced and very well-written balance.

Koga No Goshi
07-31-2001, 14:44
Shuko,

Glad you are reading the book I recommended. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif FW Seal, I agree the book is pro-Ieyasu, but I believe in the introduction and then in the later parts of the book the author writes that he is basically designing the book to be an "answer" to the long history of both Japanese and Western historians to "over-idealize" the Western/Toyotomi regime and "over-villify" the Tokugawa regime. Basically he argues that thinking Tokugawa was "bad" simply because he was the winner and that the western side was "good" simply because it was the underdog is a simple case of thinking "the grass is greener on the other side." MOST movies, books, anime, etc., that refer to this period of history at all depict Tokugawa and Oda as selfish, evil tyrants, while it depicts Toyotomi as the people's hero. If anything, all three were selfish evil tyrants. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
Since time began
the dead alone know peace.
Life is but melting snow.

Shuko
08-01-2001, 20:50
Will let you know my views on the book later.

Are you guys interested in some real fun ? Please check out the combined SP Campaign that Maltz and thirteen others are playing. Everyone will get a turn in battle for the clan http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP Campaign/.

Grim
08-08-2001, 14:01
FWSEAL:

txs a lot, I really like these "obscure generals" theme (I print and keep everything I can find on Japanese SJ period).

Koga:

In your opinion, would you say it is because of Toyotomi's humble origin (about the way he is depicted in anime)

Koga No Goshi
08-08-2001, 16:33
I would say it's that, yes. Also, Hideyoshi was something of a radical in that he was flamboyant, festive, loud, etc. He definitely "stands out" in that way. You could see his brightly costumed processions coming from a mile away. He was unique, if eccentric. Tokugawa was very well known for keeping a small, quiet retinue in his processions. He mentioned countless times throughout his life that any extravagance on his part came out of the people's ability to eat that year, and strictly reprimanded extravagant behavior among his retainers.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
Since time began
the dead alone know peace.
Life is but melting snow.

CEWest
08-21-2001, 09:54
I found this 'obscure samurai' pretty interesting:

BANDAN YUEMON
(1567-1615)
Yuemon originally served Katô Yoshiaki of Iyo. He served Yoshiaki during the Korean campaign and was appointed general of Yoshiaki's gun regiment. He served bravely, distinguishing himself, and was given a fief of 350 koku. Yuemon had a falling out with Yoshiaki after the battle of Sekigahara, and left the Katô clan. Yuemon tried to join up with various Daimyô after this, including Fukushima Masanori, Matsudaira Tadayoshi, Kobayakawa Hideaki, and others, however this was prevented by interference from Yoshiaki. Yuemon spent time at the Miyoshinji temple in Kyoto as a monk, and when the call came for Ronin to fight for the Toyotomi in Osaka, he joined under Ôno Harufusa. He fought in both the Winter and Summer sieges, and was killed during the Summer battle.