PDA

View Full Version : war worship

solypsist
08-23-2001, 09:22
From Barbara Ehrenreich's Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passion of War, Three Cases of War Worship chapter

Public education, which reached 90% of Japanese children by 1900, included military training for boys and the systematic inculcation of militarism and emperor worship for both sexes. Arithmetic classes did calculations based on battlefield situations; science class topics included general information about searchlights, wireless communication, land mines, and torpedoes.
Can anyone add thier opinions to this statement? I'm not looking for affirmation or negative rebuttal, just elaboration or even anecdote.

NOLA_Jay
08-23-2001, 14:40
In a book I have called Secret of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan, by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook. The mention that after the Meiji Restoration militaristic teaching and Emperor worship were increased to an a fanatical level, in order to strengthen Japan and make it more of a modern power. The leadership at this time deemed that this was the quickest and most effective way way to make a strong modern Japan. They give a very good amount of information on this in the beginig of the book, as I recall offhand.
Eventualy all non non-military organizations were organized and run like military ones, due to the success of the teaching programs.
Kind of has me thinkig of the statement.
In peace, prepare for war, - in war, prepare for peace.
I'll have to dig out my old Political Science books, to pull up more information. As a former Political Science student, one of my course was on the the Poltics of China and Japan.

Koga No Goshi
08-23-2001, 16:30
The growing militarism of the Japanese in the buildup towards WWII was absolutely no different than the fanatical preparation I believe JayDee (could be wrong) pointed out in between the two Mongol landings in Kyushuu. Japan saw, all too clearly, what western powers had done to China (certainly not the only thing but a good example was the intentional mass-introduction of opium so that Great Britain could reverse the tea trade deficit) as well as colonialism (i.e., we are France, we now own this port city, French citizens may now commit crimes against Chinese and will not be tried in Chinese courts, if Chinese commit crimes against French nationals they will be judged by our authorities). Japan was determined not to let this happen to them.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
Since time began
the dead alone know peace.
Life is but melting snow.

Devil_Hanzo
08-27-2001, 07:00
I know it's a bit off-topic, but can anyone here tell me a bit more about what actually happened in China?

When did European powers take control of what Chinese cities? How did it happen? Where there any other wars than the Opium war? One would expect that the Chinese emperor would try to resist the "takeover" of Chinese cities?

Wasn't there opium abuse in China before the Europeans started selling it? Did the British have some sort of monopoly? What exactly was the Boxer rebellion?

And finally; why (and when) did Britain agree to give Hong Kong back to China? Was it because they felt it was wrong to keep colonies? Was there pressure from the international society or threats from China?

Khan7
08-28-2001, 14:15
Well, my quick 2 cents for I get to bed:

China at the time of colonialization was weak, decadent, corrupt, and feudal. In other words, there was no effective central power, so hell if he could do anything to effectively resist. Also, having all levels of government being weak, decadent and corrupt and unchained by the feudal nature of the country made it very easy for the westerners.

------------------
Khan7

Minamoto Yoritomo
08-28-2001, 22:36
After the Opium Wars the European powers started grabbing territory in China (the Germans in Shandong, everyone in Shanghai, etc.). England largely was looking for trading bases and was not primarily concerned with expanding territory (though that was not true of all of them). Many imperials did try to resist European encroachment, and many more were too busy getting rich off of it. When there were riots and anti-European uprisings (the Boxer Rebellion), the Empress Dowager Cixi supported them.

There was indeed opium abuse in China before the British, but it wasn't quite as widespread. The British believed in trade at all costs, and because of the imperial edicts forbidding the sale of any Western goods in China, the traders used opium to balance the flow of silver. Oddly enough, the amount of silver flowing into China before the rise of opium smuggling was creating a terrible amount of inflation in China. Of course, at its peak, the opium trade was pulling a fair amount of silver out of China.

Water was the reason the British chose to pull out of Hong Kong. The island of Hong Kong was ceded to them permanently after the Opium Wars. Kowloon and the New Territories, however, were granted to them on a lease to alleviate the problems they had getting sufficient water on Hong Kong Island. Without water from across the harbor, Hong Kong could not support even a fraction of its population. Furthermore, even if the island could have bought water from the Kowloon side after the lease expired, it would not have been expedient. The two sides of the harbor were too inextricably linked to be effectively seperated again. Oh, and China didn't seem likely to renew the British lease on the New Territories.

Well, that's my take on matters, at least.