PDA

View Full Version : Camera Hack(zooming galore)

Enrique Orduno
11-14-2004, 03:22
I just completed my Camera Hack script for Rome:Total War. It allows the user to easily break the Camera limits to zoom in and out as much as wanted, tilt and all.

It's a rather simple script(about 2kbs big) that works fine both for campaigns and battles(Historical ones already have their own scripts tho, so one needs to tweak the old script).

To use it, you need to press P(the pause button) during a battle(if the script is in the battle/campaign's folder and running) and the camera will move to a different position on the map, then you can just zoom out or in, tilt(+/- keys on numpad) or rotate as usual. You'll quickly notice that the limits are gone and you can zoom out until you reach the sky and zoom in until you are at ground level.

For installation details as well as the file, just check here (http://area42.wildfiregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137).

EO

TigerVX
11-14-2004, 04:25
This sounds great, but a few questions.
1. Can you apply this to custom battles?
2. When you edit descr strat, does it also apply to the battles during the campgien? Since I cannot find descr battle in my campgien foldor.
3. I'm a little confused on how to enable it, you press pause and you can zoom however you want?

Again, this sounds great, its just your instructions are a bit vague.

Enrique Orduno
11-14-2004, 05:02
1)To use it in custom/historical battles, you need to go in each of the battles' folders(they are located either in world\maps\custom\battle\ or world\maps\battle\custom) and edit descr_battle.txt(at the very end, add the two lines), but note that historical battles already have a script, so you must edit their current script and add some parts of the StartupScript.txt in them(the monitor_event and what comes after I think) ).
2)Aye, it only applies to the battles actually and not the campaign map. As I mentionned above, descr_battle.txt is only found in historical/custom battles.
3)Yes, when you press the pause button, it sets the camera to such an angle/position that the camera limits do not apply anymore so you can play normally with no camera limits. If the camera goes back to normal limits, you'll have to use pause again(it happens sometimes).

TigerVX
11-14-2004, 05:10
Still don't work! I put the script in the foldor for the Macedonian ruins map. I then I did what you said to C&P the script.

scripts
{
}
script
StartupScript.txt

And thats what it looks like. So I then pause it in game, but nothing happens!? Can you please help. I'm a skinner, not a coder :dizzy2:

Enrique Orduno
11-14-2004, 05:48
Have you tried removing scripts { } ?

TigerVX
11-14-2004, 06:45
Can you please provide the lines? I keep trying but nothing appears to be working! I have put the script in the appropriate places and everything, but nothing seems to work. I also tried it with the campgien, but that didn't work either! This really sucks, I wanna use your script but I'm obviously doing something wrong >>;;;

Enrique Orduno
11-14-2004, 07:35
Well, it seems it doesn't work for the custom battles(Custom/Quick) because they do not load scripts, but it works fine for the other modes(Historical/Campaign). I'll write a thorough guide later, but until then:

Add the two specified lines to the end of a descr_battle.txt or descr_strat.txt. If the file already contains a "script" part(historical maps are like that), change the last line to StartupScript.txt(ie: descr_script.txt => StartupScript.txt ). Also add the StartupScript.txt in the same folder. Those two steps must be repeated for each battle/campaign. Oh and don't forget to press the pause button(which is the P key) on your keyboard during a battle to activate it.

TigerVX
11-14-2004, 07:50
Ah, that explains it. I've been trying to get it to work for custom battles the whole time =P.

Enrique Orduno
11-14-2004, 23:46
I have updated the Hack. There is now a newer version that is much easier to install and more convenient to use.