PDA

View Full Version : Some Japanese Recipes and Food Info

NOLA_Jay
08-31-2001, 17:39
Here a re a few Japanese Recipes and some info on Sushi.
Enjoy, may not get to post for awhile since my computer is going in the shop for repair latter today.

This recipe was made famous to by the character Ukyou Kounji in the Japanese series Ranma 1/2. You can experiment with any meat or vegetable you like.

UKYOU'S DELICIOUS OKONOMIYAKI

Ingedients
1/4 cup of flour
4 eggs
8 ounces of chopped pork (or other meat)
1 cup of finely chopped cabage
vegetable oil
4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons of ketchup
powdered seaweed or grond parsley
pinch of salt

Mix flour, eggs, salt, cabbage, and half of the meat in a bowl until you have a thick batter. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan, then pour the batter in the pan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until you see bubbles form at the edges. Place the remaining meat on top of the pancake and flip it over to cook the other side. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Mix together together the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and pour over pan cake if desired. Add seaweed or parsley for additional taste and color. Remove pancake from pan and serve.
You can mke one large pancake or several small ones.
The possible ingredients are limited only to your imagination and taste prefernces. For true Japanes-style okonomiyaki, prepare with shrimp and sprinkle with dried fish flakes (available at Japanese food stores). Other topping can be barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, sweet & sour sauce or hot mustard.

This recipe was written by James Stanley, and appearead in an old Japanese anime news letter called the Rose.

---------------------------------------------

Kasumi's Karinto (deep-fried sugar cookies)

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flower or ready-made pancake mix
1 teasspoon baking powder (omit if using prepared mix)
2 tablespoons brown or white sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
vegetable oil for deep-frying.

For the icing:
1 cup of brown or white sugar
1 1/3 cups water (less water makes thicker icing)

Mix the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Stir in the sugar, egg, milk, and salt. Now put the dough on a cutting board. Cut into 1/2 by 1/4 inch strips for long cookies, or you ca drop the dough into the oil with a spoon to get round cookies. Sprinkle the dough with flour if it's difficult to cut.
Heat the vegetable oil in a deep cooking pan 1/2rd full at 330 degrees. Once hot, begin placing the dough in one piece at a time, being carefull not to let them stick together. Rotate them for even cooking and remove when they are evenly browned. Place the cookies on a paper towel t remove extra oil.
Make the icing by heating the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir at regular intervals until it thickens. Test thickness by taking a small dollop in a spoon and immersing it in a glass of water. If it holds together in water, it's ready. You can either pour the icing over the cookies on a cookie sheet or dip them into the sauce. Allow them to cool.
Makes about a dozen cookies.
Warning: extremly addictive and very habit forming!

That is it. The recipe came from an old magazine called "The Rose" wich delt with Japanese culture. Katsumi is a character from a Japanese TV show that often is seen cooking in the show. Let me know if you try it.

"SUSHI
Many Westerners make the mistake of confusing sushi with raw fish. Sushi is sweetend rice; it might be combined with raw or cooked seafood, but it might be used plain or with vegetables alone. The forms of sushi known best in the West are nigirizushi (also know as edomaezushi), wich is hand-molded sushi with a topping added to it, and makizushi, sushi and ingredients rolled in a sheet of nori (seaweed). Other variations include oshizushi, where seafood and rice are pressed into a mold then sliced, and chairashizushi, where the ingredients are, in the Tokyo style, scattered on top of a bowl of rice or, in the Osaka style, mixed in the rice. Sushi has its origin in a Chinese method for perserving fish. Fish, salt, and rice would be packed together and fermented for two months to a year. Originally the rice was dicarded and the fish eaten. In time the rice was eaten along with the fish. In the late Edo peiod the pickling process was discarded in favor of using seasoned rice with fresh fish toppings." -Anime Companion What's Japanes in Japanese Animation, by Gilles Poitras, page 128

Koga No Goshi
09-01-2001, 03:03
Even though I make some incredibly oishii ( http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif) Yakisoba already, do you have any recipes for yakisoba Enola?

------------------
Koga no Goshi

"Hokusai"
Now as a spirit
I shall roam
the summer fields.

clink
09-01-2001, 03:04
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NOLA_Jay:

SUSHI
Many Westerners make the mistake of confusing sushi with raw fish.Sushi is sweetend rice.

Really ?
To think all this time,I've been complimenting my wife http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by clink (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by clink (edited 08-31-2001).]

Tenchimuyo
09-01-2001, 04:49
hmm... hungry already. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Hosakawa Tito
09-01-2001, 07:52
Sushi *drool*,dammit where am I going to find a open sushi bar at this time of night.

------------------
Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.

solypsist
09-02-2001, 21:18
new york city is one of the best places to find sushi, at any time of day or night (though I'd stay away from bargain sushi). I imagine california is pretty hot, sushi-wise, too.
I picked up the Iron Chef book a while back and it has some of the recipes from the show in it, pretty fun stuff; and you can cook it quietly in the kitchin without a commentator if you want to.

NOLA_Jay
09-03-2001, 03:47
I'll have to look to see what other recipes I have. I' stuck using a libary computer at the momement, so I don't have access to all my books, and stuff, unlike when I'm at home. Plus my usage time is limited on a libary computer.