PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in adding a new province.

komninos
11-15-2004, 12:56
Hi all,

I spent most of my time during the week end to figure out how to add a new province. I started using the RTR v.3.0 files in the campaign folder.
I followed the instructions in the guides and added splited Peloponnesus and made a third area in the west. Named id Messinia, gave to color that did not exist, made a village of 800 people close to the statue of Zeus put an army and a commander with a name that did not exist in the start file and deleted the unwonted files. ... when I enter the game, I select my new campaign, I select faction, and the next screen puts me back to the select provincial campaign menu.

What is the problem with it ... I have cross checked the files for errors a million times and they all look good, coordinates, colors units, names ... what is it with this thing???

Duke John
11-15-2004, 13:47
You are trying to do too much at once. First only add a province, if that works add an army. Your fault may very well be caused by the new army.

When adding a province:
split province with new unique RGB colour, add a city (port is not necessary so do not bother). Make sure that the city is not on a river, mountain range, etc.
add the province entries (be it names, cities, population, etc) in the same format as existing provinces in (assuming that you are editing a "provincial campaign"):
\Data\Text\CAMPAIGNNAME_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
\Data\world\maps\campaign\CAMPAIGNNAME\descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
\Data\world\maps\campaign\CAMPAIGNNAME\descr_regions.txt
Use the correct new RGB colour.
That is all for the first run! Do not bother with assigning it to a faction, if you do you are trying too much at once and you're just asking for an unexplainable CTD. If it works then you can start on fleshing it out; resources, owner, mercenaries, techtree development. And do it all one thing at a time.

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 15:34
I've had that error loads of times. Make sure you are running the game with the show_err extension and when you quit the game there should be a message telling you what your error is.

Duke John
11-15-2004, 15:51
Ah of course! I read it wrong, I thought you get a CTD. But whenever you get set back to the menu, always use -show_err. You will 99% of the time get an accurate error message when you quit the game. When a CTD happens this is not the case.

Anyhow, when modding the campaign make a shortcut like this:

"E:\Rome - Total War4\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -ne -nm -strat:sengoku

With Sengoku being my campaign, change it for your own one. This shortcut will load the campaign straight from the desktop without the movies or menu. Very handy when alternating desktop and game every 5 minutes.

komninos
11-16-2004, 08:57
Thanks for the help guys,

I have since built Messinia, Elis, Boeotea and Knossos.
I will make a better Asia Minor and divide the large regions in the desert and in the nort East. The Italian peninsula is also in my scope. Most probably my map for 600BC and Bronze Age will be ready by the end of the week.