PDA

View Full Version : Using new ui_1.PAK will result in CTD when going into battle mode?

Duke John
11-16-2004, 08:34
I hope that someone else has ventured into this, since I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have edited the interface and it works sublime in strategic mode, but when going to battle, the game loads for 10% and a CTD occurs.

So I put back the original PAK file and it works fine. Then I tested wether the PAK extractor is to blame and I extracted ui_1.PAK and packed it. The result is a CTD, weird since the PAK file only contains the original files.

It seems that the PAK extractor is doing something wrong, but why would the campaign interface work without problems. The CTD also occurs when I remove the PAK file and use normal directory structure instead (the engine will look for the files outside the PAK file if the PAK file is not present). Using the UI directory the campaign interface does work, but I get a crash when going to battle.

Has anyone succesfully edited the ui_1.PAK file which didn't result in a CTD?

Vercingetorix
11-16-2004, 20:39
When you create the new ui_1.PAK it's named the same? I'll have to look into it seems strange.

Duke John
11-17-2004, 06:55
Yes, it is named the same. As I tried to explain in the first post, everything is working fine, the new interface is showing up without problems (using the PAK file or not does not matter). But whenever I go to battle it crashes. ~:confused: Note that the CTD also happens when I unPAK the original files (campaign part works with no problems) and use them straight from the directory. It also happens when I make a PAK file of the original files (campaign works).

The only thing I can think of is that the size of the PAK is 50kB smaller even when I pak the original files.

I don't have experience with the other PAK files, only ui_1.PAK, so perhaps there are more problems.

Vercingetorix
11-17-2004, 07:16
Well I just extracted the ui_1.pak then repacked it and it was the exact same size and no problem in game. Are you sure you're doing everything right?

What I did:

1) extracted pak file
2) created .bat file in the data\packs folder and entered the following:

echo ui_1.pak > ui1.txt
dir .\data\* /a:-D /s /b >>ui1.txt
xpak.exe -cf ui1.txt

3) Save file and double click the bat file.

New file has exactly the same size down to the byte as the original. Sure there's not a missing file of some sort? By the way you should have 3466 files extracted from that pack and it should be 208,824,445 bytes large.

Duke John
11-17-2004, 07:20
I made a new dirlist yesterday, but I'll try again and make sure that the parameters are allright.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: it works now. I think the fault lies at the old BAT file for dirlist and packing for one unknown reason.

Vercingetorix
11-17-2004, 07:43
I made a new dirlist yesterday, but I'll try again and make sure that the parameters are allright.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: it works now. I think the fault lies at the old BAT file for dirlist and packing for one unknown reason.

Sure thing John glad it works. Myabe a file was accidently deleted or renamed who knows.