PDA

View Full Version : Carthage: blood, gold and desert sun.

SwordsMaster
11-16-2004, 19:30
Ok, couldnt resist the temptation: Anyone interested in a Carthage campaign?

Here are the rules:
- Youngest heir inherits
- medium battle difficulty (dont care about the campmap)
- no mods installed
- full reign (ie, till the leader dies)
- 1 elephant per stack.
- large unit size

Anyone interested?

Chimpyang
11-16-2004, 19:41
I'll certainly play.....

econ21
11-16-2004, 22:48
I'm interested - time permitting. Not sure about "youngest heir" inherits - that seems to be maximising the length of each reign, when they are going to be twice as long as MTW anyway. Why not just let the player choose the best candidate for the job? (with not being too old a criterion?). Or if you want to be dynastic, oldest son of faction leader?

ChaosLord
11-16-2004, 22:59
I'd be up for the game, but i'll have to second Simon. We need some way to restrict the length of the reigns. I say we make it so the heir is choosen from the faction leaders immediate family (sons first, then brothers, then uncles, then cousins) and it is choosen at age 50. Age 50 will also be when said ruler retires and gives the save to the next player.

Storywise the ruler can be dead or just having stepped down. In game nothing had to necessarily change to show this besides making sure the choosen heir is selected. Oh, and I think saying noone over 40 or under 20 years old would be a good restriction on choosing heirs. Thats a 60 turn reign at max, and a 20 at worst. I'd imagine most will be somewhere in the center. Its a little more then MTW but it should play about the same.

Just my ideas, and i'd like campaign difficult to be very hard, and battle difficulty hard. The +4 attack bonus is just like assuming the AI has decent generals for any given stack, which is the same assumption you could make with a player. Anyway, tell me what you think.

Eidt- And I forgot to say, the first reign would be exempt from the retire at 50 rule and heir choosing rule since they already start older then that I think. First player would just play first reign, then the heir up to age 50.

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 00:38
okay, reconsidering the age, as in most cases the leader will be still alife at 50, the next player will pick the heir as he/she prefers it.

And, after the leader steps down from the throne, he cant participate in any battles except when you cant help it, (i.e, when you fight close to a town where he is the governor, or the town is besieged).

If possible-affordable, bring him to the capital.

Difficulty Hard/Hard is ok? I dont want the AI overpowered so that 4 hastati stand a charge after charge and dont break... And in the other hand carthage has to invest a fair amount in armies right at the beginning so the campmap should not be so harsh either....

Thoughts?

ChaosLord
11-17-2004, 01:44
Sounds good, i'm not exactly sure what very hard campaign map difficulty does besides make auto-resolve tougher. Plus Carthage is supposed to be a harder faction anyway. So just tell me when its my turn.

econ21
11-17-2004, 02:19
Chaoslord - how would the retirement at 50 thing work in terms of game mechanics? I know you can disinherit an heir, but can you stop a general being your faction leader? If not, I guess you'd have to get him killed, as I don't suppose the game allows you to dismiss his unit.

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 02:40
He won´t stop being your faction leader. But you stop using him as a faction leader, and use the heir instead.

By heir I mean the guy with the other shield besides his picture, not some random heir, so just stick to one.

Usually, the leader will die before the heir, so you can pick another one with no prob.

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 02:41
Sounds good, i'm not exactly sure what very hard campaign map difficulty does besides make auto-resolve tougher. Plus Carthage is supposed to be a harder faction anyway. So just tell me when its my turn.

Gives you less money to start with me thinks.

Sorry for spamming.

ChaosLord
11-17-2004, 04:19
Well, if we really want to kill them off theres a console command to kill a character. The only problem is you have to dl some unlocker and it only works if you have a nocd, so it'd be alot of trouble to go through. Theres also just tossing him on a bireme and sending against the many fleets going against us, take probably 2-3 years to finish him off.

I think all we need to do is take the faction leader once he hits 50 and toss him into the country side, then build a fort. The AI has a reluctance to attack forts to begin with and even if they do its not like he matters anymore. So we invent the 'retirement home' a couple thousand years ahead of time. :P

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 13:56
We can just "retire" them to somewhere, a city or a fort or even send them in a one last glorious cavalry charge or something.

So if everyone is ok with the rules, we can kick off tomorrow or maybe even tonight....

Anyone has special interest in playing the first reign? (time constraints, just likes the starting situation, etc....)

Otherwise I´ll take it.

Regards.

econ21
11-17-2004, 14:32
Sounds good. I think you should take the first turn, Swordsmaster, to get things going along the lines you'd like to see followed.

Anyone tried locking the camera to the general's point of view? I was reading the iron man rules thread in the Colosseum and it sounded interesting - maybe especially from a PBM/role-playing perspective.

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 15:43
Hmm...dunno about that, if I find it too easy i might try.... but everyone can fight as they want.

Ah, BTW, last thing I forgot to say: NO RELOADS. I,e, if you do something wrong, its done.

I'll start the first one, then

SwordsMaster
11-17-2004, 23:18
Ok, My hegemony is finished. It was certainly shorter than expected, only 2 years, but well....

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/carth_swordsMastr.rar

there is the download for the saved game, altho I couldnt go too far....

I´ll make the writeup in the near future.

Who´s next?
Chimpyang?

Good luck.
Ah, I picked the faction heir early as the leader was quite elderly...

Chimpyang
11-18-2004, 18:40
Righty ho.....I'll get onto it tommorow.....

SwordsMaster
11-21-2004, 14:11
Guys do you want me to post the writeup here or upload it to the org?

econ21
11-21-2004, 23:20
Might be best to make a separate "story-only" thread to post it in. That way people don't have to wade through admin stuff just to get to the write-ups.

SwordsMaster
11-22-2004, 01:03
Good idea, Simon Appleton.
"A Tale of Carthage" is born.

I suggest only one post for everyone. If you have to add something, edit the old post.

Regards.

econ21
11-22-2004, 22:54
Nice start to the story, Swordsmaster - leaves me wanting more.

SwordsMaster
11-23-2004, 01:00
Cheers Simon, updated with the next turn. :charge:
updated again

Chimpyang
11-26-2004, 18:10
Unfortunately I ahvent had much time to play recently and probably wil lnot do until mid dec at least...so can the next person take my place and i'll go last....? please?

econ21
11-27-2004, 00:27
OK, I'll pick it up. Swordsmaster - I would be interested to hear how your story ends.

SwordsMaster
11-28-2004, 23:46
Yep, sure, I've been away the last 3 days, couldnt get PC time, sorry about that.Will do tomorrow.

econ21
11-29-2004, 00:54
OK, I've done my reign - it's uploaded as Carthage254.zip. I've also posted a writeup in the companion thread. Screenies will take time to be uploaded.

I believe ChaosLord is next. I played out my king's reign in full - he came to power at 48, so retiring at 50 seemed premature. ChaosLord, your king is 37, so you could retire him if you want, although playing out the full reign is so much more satisfying for story telling.

SwordsMaster
11-29-2004, 22:34
finished the story. BTW Simon, I cant see the screenshots theres only a red "x".

econ21
11-29-2004, 23:08
Thanks, Swordsmaster, screenshots fixed. By the way, our stories mesh fairly well! ~:cheers:

SwordsMaster
11-30-2004, 12:41
Yeah, that'll give it some fluency and continuity. Good work m8! I like your style! ~:cheers:

SwordsMaster
12-06-2004, 01:25
hmm, its not that Im worried or anything, but how is the campaign going?
there hasnt been much activity here for a week or so, so Im just curious...

ChaosLord
12-11-2004, 02:41
I'm sorry to do this to you guys, but I don't have time to play right now. I've been trying to play the game but things keep coming, you know how holidays are. I probably won't have any time until after the new year. I had thought my turn would come around sooner when I signed up, this is just a busy month for me. So kick me to the end of the line or whatever if the game goes on long enough for me to get another shot.