PDA

View Full Version : Anime

Brown Wolf
09-13-2001, 01:22
Is there any anime that does not contain nudity and a slew of profanity?

------------------
The White Wolf clan will conqouer all of Japan!

White Wolf Clan (http://www.geocities.com/iron_wolf81/whitewolf.html).html[/url]

Ii Naomasa
09-13-2001, 04:32
Lots. Anime covers such a wide spectrum of animation from Japan that you could probably fill a book on the films that don't include nudity or profanity. Granted, a good portion would be children's stories, but there's adult ones too.

Mononoke-hime, or Princess Mononoke, is perfect example, as it's one of the few anime to actually make it to the mainstay. Despite what may have been pushed by the western media (who can't believe animation is for anyone buy kids), it's a story worthy of an adult, even if it isn't the best anime can offer (it's good, but not everyone's cup of tea).

The Dagger of Kamui is a 19th century ninja story that doesn't contain nudity (if it does, it's a brief flash, but I don't remember it having any). The story is slow paced, but its fun, and it includes a trip to America and even a run in with Samuel Clemens.

Although the original series that they're based off of has nudity, the Robotech series (the American re-writing of the Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada series) is a great series with a lot of action and transforming mecha that avoids swears and nudity.

What little I've seen of the Escaflowne series, it is a good anime that either doesn't have nudity or it has been edited out in the American version.

That's a starter list. There are some I'm pretty sure don't have any nudity in them, but can't remember for sure and don't want to recommend something and then have you come across a typical shower or disrobing scene.

It's true that what seems like the vast majority of anime has profanity or nudity (and of course, violence). One must remember that a lot of anime is considered adult fare and that's why includes things that young males seem to enjoy in great abundance (probably the reason most anime that is brought over in video includes such is because they know that's just as true here as over there, especially among the fan boys who are the primary market). The Japanese have less a problem with nudity than the US has, and that's why a upper body female shot seems almost mandatory.

It is a shame because there's a lot of good tales that one cannot share because you can't show kids or show your more uptight friends. I've never had a problem with nudity, violence, profanity, or sex when it's important to the story, but all too often it's gratuitous and distracting. But its a different culture. You can easily find yourself as distracting by naken people in some European films, while their nakedness is not there for that very purpose.

I do not keep up with anime as much as sometimes I should like, so others will probably have more detailed lists off the top of their heads.

NOLA_Jay
09-13-2001, 05:52
Lots of them do as someone allready pointed out. I used to run an anime club. For some reason most shops want to carry the high profanity, violence, and nudity ones. I all ways seem to be able to find those, but that is only a very small percentage of the anime that is out there.
Have to dig out my anime tape list and post some titles.

jomni
09-13-2001, 09:01
I'd suggest Runouni Kenshin. It's a samurai anime who's setting is the Meiji Restoration. Really interesting.

Ii Naomasa
09-13-2001, 09:40
jomni, is that related to the Samurai X stuff I've seen? I haven't had the chance to see any of it, but have been curious about them from the boxes. I wasn't sure what it was like, though, and not willing to take the chance and pick it up.

I was over at a friend's house who has the ridiculous cable packages and one of the channels is nearly all anime for a good portion of the day. The little I watched over there confirms my belief that (edited or not...although in many cases, it didn't seem edited) you CAN watch six hours of anime straight without one nipple, bouncing breast, or naughty word (I didn't watch six hours straight, but I was helping him with a home repair project and we'd catch the shows on breaks or as we passed by the tv and nothing even remotely related ever came up).

Looking over the anime I have unboxed since my last move, Area 88 is a pretty decent (great if you love 80's war planes) anime series that has at worse minor profanity and no nudity in all the episodes I've seen. It's basically a tale of a mercenary group of pilots working out a Middle East airfield and the main character was tricked into signing up with them and is desperately trying to leave the company.

jomni
09-13-2001, 11:02
Rurouni Kenshin is the Japanese title of Samurai X. There is miniminal sexual content in that anime as far as i know. Although there might be some suggestive instances, rest assured they are not vulgar.

Brown Wolf
09-14-2001, 02:58
Hmm....I might need to check out some of those. I don't know a whole lot about anime, just that sometimes it is imported (edited) here.

------------------

White Wolf Clan (http://www.geocities.com/iron_wolf81/whitewolf.html).html[/url]