PDA

View Full Version : Changing Character Names

ImperatorSulla
11-18-2004, 00:07
I've been trying to discover a way to edit the Character names in the Roman factions for some time now.
Thus far, i've tried editing the files with 'name'(there's two of them) in them along with the descr_strat file to change the starting characters.
I get a CTD as soon as I try to load. My guess is there's a file there that i'm not editing which I should be.
Can anyone help?.

Encaitar
11-18-2004, 02:48
The name related files are:
Data\descr_names.txt
Data\text\names.txt

How it works is thus:
1. Game reads a name tag in descr_strat.txt under a particular faction
2. Game goes to descr_names.txt and looks under the relevant faction's names list, and under the relevant name type (characters/surnames/women). If it doesn't find what it's looking for, you will get a CTD.*
3. If it does find what it's looking for, it then goes to the names.txt file for the 'localised' translation of the name. Note that in the tags in this file, all whitespaces should be replaced with underscores. (e.g. "of Sparta" has a tag "{of_Sparta}"). If the loc text for a name cannot be found, you will get a CTD. If the loc text for a surname cannot be found though, the game seems to manage, and just gives the character a blank surname.

There is another name related file: Data\descr_names_lookup.txt. This contains a list of all the tags in descr_names.txt, with whitespaces replaced by underscores. However this file doesn't appear to be used. As long as it exists with a filesize greater than 0 bytes (i.e. there is at least something in the file), the game seems to run fine and names are all displayed correctly. It the file doens't exist, or has a filesize of 0, then you'll get a CTD. As I said, the file doesn't seem to be used, but to be on the safe side, it can't hurt to add in an entry for any new names you use.

*My guess is this is where your problem is. Make sure that the faction you've used the new name for in descr_strat.txt has the new name listed under its useable names in the descr_names.txt file.

ImperatorSulla
11-18-2004, 04:05
Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply. I think what the problem may be is the names.txt I was only entering in descr_strat, descr_names and names_lookup.
Was using underscores ets, however, do you know if using a period in the character name could cause a CTD?
(ie L.Cornelius Sulla_Felix - first name being L.Cornelius; second Sulla_Felix)
Thanks again for your help. I'll try that out when i get back from work.

Encaitar
11-18-2004, 05:01
It's possible the period could cause a problem (not sure though, haven't tested it). The safest way to do things is to use a very basic version of the name in descr_strat and descr_names. (i.e. no accents or unusual characters, so in your case you might just go with "LCornelius"). Then in the names.txt localisation file, you make the name precisely what you want to appear in-game.

And yes, if the game cannot locate the localisation of a name from the names.txt file, then you will get a CTD. So that sounds like a good guess for the source of your problem.

dclare4
11-22-2004, 15:22
Is there a way to know w/c names are assigned to w/c faction?

Clare

Encaitar
11-23-2004, 01:18
the decsr_names.txt file defines what names are available to each faction.

dclare4
11-23-2004, 11:44
Thanks very much!

best regards,
Clare

~add_money""
03-07-2010, 18:40
Didnt want to make a new thread so i am reviving this one.

I am looking to add names to a certain race so that when, in game, i recieve a new officer or general he couldd be called the name i have inputted e.g. Joe Van Bloggs...

I am looking for decsr_names.txt file but i cant seem to find it, does anyone where i can find this file?

Thanks for the help.

~add_money""
03-07-2010, 18:50
Oops forgot to add that this is for Medieval Total War II, i was just searching for solutions on google and this forum came up, didnt realise it was for Rome...

The system must still be the same in Medieval, unless they have revamped the general generating system???

Philadelphos
07-15-2011, 14:41
Due to your account the easiest way to change a character name would be to leave it as is and simply change the localised translation in names.txt. But this doesn't seem to work, since I still get the . Neither does the system you suggested. I tried everything, but there must be more, because I didn't succeed in adding any new name. Ideas?

Philadelphos
07-19-2011, 20:23
I confirm, that my idea was right and now I got it working. The problem was that the game loads the file names.txt as one of the first and you need to restart it completely to see your changes (restarting a new game from the game choice template won't be sufficient).

I have changed the Egyptian names and now I got almost the entire Ptolemaic dynasty with stepsons, wives, daughters etc. The only thing missing is the fact that they married their sisters (I don't know if that would work, but I think it won't). But there a even some well known characters such as Pothinus and general Achillas, the murderers of Pompey the Great.

Here is the text. If your starting characters are still the original ones and you copy it below into your names.txt file it should work for you too:

{Hekhemmut} Ptolemy Soter
{Khnumhoptep} Ptolemy Philadelphos
{Nakhrankh} Ophellas
{Ptahhotep} Ptolemy Keraunos
{Ptahotem} Ptahotep
{Wah} Patroclus
{Ahmose} Ptolemy Euergetes
{Heruben} Magas
{Isetnofet} Isetnofet
{Khasekhem} Kiya
{Khu} Khu
{Kiya} Meleager
{Neferet} Neferet
{Neferetiabet} Ahmose
{Nakhti} Philitas
{Miwsher} Lagus
{Meryre} Lysimachus
{Menmaatre} Meryre
{Mutnodjmet} Theodotus
{Pamiu} Pamiu
{Pasebakhaen} Pothinus
{Akhaenniut} Achillas
{Rameses} Rameses
{Tutankhemwy} Tutankhemwy
{Amunmose} Amunmose
{Sekhemwy} Sekhemwy
{Akhoris} Ptolemy Andromachou
{Amasis} Amasis
{Amyrtaios} Amyrtaios
{Apries} Apries
{Djehutimes} Djehutimes
{Nekho} Nekho
{Nektanebo} Nektanebo
{Philippos} Philippos
{Psammetikhos} Psammetikhos
{Psamuthis} Psamuthis
{Ptolemy} Ptolemy
{Ramose} Ramose
{Shabaka} Shabaka
{Shabataka} Shabataka
{Tanutamun} Ptolemy Philopator
{Thutmose} Thutmose
{Taharqa} Taharqa
{Teos} Teos
{Soter} Soter
{Arrhidaeos} Arrhidaeos
{Philadelphos} Philadelphos
{Euergetes} Euergetes
{Philopator} Philopator
{Epiphanes} Epiphanes
{Philometor} Philometor
{Neos_Philopator} Neos Philopator
{Neos_Dionysos} Neos Dionysos
{Philopater} Philopater
{Auletes} Auletes
{Kasaros} Kasaros
{Helios} Helios
{Ankhesen} Agathoclea
{Hebeny} Berenice Syra
{Cleopatra} Cleopatra
{Euredice} Eurydice
{Nepherites} Nepherites
{Piye} Philotera
{Pepi} Lais
{Bebi} Berenice II
{Hetepheres} Hetepheres
{Aneksi} Arsinoe II
{Bet} Bet
{Satsobek} Berenice
{Senbi} Cleopatra II
{Tepemkau} Lysandra
{Wosret} Stratonice
{Ahankh} Eirene
{Tiy} Thais
{Teti} Teti
{Pedibastet} Arsinoe III
{Netikerty} Netikerty

Let me know if you got it working and if you're satisfied or if you want to suggest other changes. Soon I will do similar works for the Carthaginian faction and others and then I'll post it here.

I forgot: Html doesn't know tabs. So they were lost and as a consequence the file won't work unless you insert three tabs between the names in brackets and their translations. Maybe you can do that easily by using the substitute function of your text editor: Simply substitute all "}" by "}+3tabs".

terell221
09-04-2011, 02:41
hello I am trying to find an active list of character names so that i can change the traits on them for medieval total war 2. does anyone know where I can find this?