PDA

View Full Version : Children Born rates/Modifiers?

dj jones
11-18-2004, 21:45
anyone know anything about the rate/mods which children are born?

playing as Julii, I had a lot of kids.

Playing as Bruttii - its now 239 bc - I have *yet* to have a single child. My youngest 'wife' is 34 years old, and all but one of my generals (I have 6, all married) are over 45 - I even gave *everyone* the Fertile traits and the ancillary (physician) that 'increases changes of having children".

Nothing.

Since child rate doesnt seem to be dependent on how many generals you have (I had over 25 in my last game as Julii and had about 10 young kids when I stopped playing) is it faction dependent? what variables effect it?

thanks

Alexandr III. Biges
11-19-2004, 16:10
Hey, it's quite fun, I have a member with "infertility" trait, 37 years, three children so far. And another one with the oposite trait, which has in 41 years only one baby. These are really SOME calculations :)
An advice: If you are in dire need of members, try to briber a rebel/enemy army with a member. It may be expensive, but you have a new general/governor that way :)

dj jones
11-19-2004, 21:17
Hey, it's quite fun, I have a member with "infertility" trait, 37 years, three children so far. And another one with the oposite trait, which has in 41 years only one baby. These are really SOME calculations :)
An advice: If you are in dire need of members, try to briber a rebel/enemy army with a member. It may be expensive, but you have a new general/governor that way :)

I can get generals easily by bribing - I am not concerned with getting more, but am trying to figure out how the game calculates *when* it gives you one. For instance - in the description for the Brutii, it says 'generalship will be important.' - and sure enough, those Brutii dont seem to have too many kids, while the Julii have them like mad!

tommh
11-20-2004, 07:23
Well you can look through the VnVs to find out what you want to know. A few things though:

A general can only have four kids. Thus if all the slots are full you won't get any kids until the next gen grows up. Dense trees are worse then sparse ones then since rate is based on individuals.

Looking at the VnVs and the desc_strat:

Brutii don't have a fertility temple which adds to your characters fertility. So they will be fertile or infertile based on chance. They have three familys one of which is full and the other two have only one slot each. Until their are some marrages your chance of kids is relativly small.
Also your oldest unmarried daughter is only 12, and you have only one elegible male. The next oldest is 14.

Compare this to the Julii:

8 available slots in all four families. So double the chance right there. Same number of children but the Jullii have a huge edge because they have more families. They also have an Elegible male.

Hope that helps explain it some. Of course chance plays a big part as well.

Alexandr III. Biges
11-22-2004, 15:27
I can get generals easily by bribing - I am not concerned with getting more, but am trying to figure out how the game calculates *when* it gives you one. For instance - in the description for the Brutii, it says 'generalship will be important.' - and sure enough, those Brutii dont seem to have too many kids, while the Julii have them like mad!

Yes, I already understood your question. It's not the first of it's kind, there are many around trying to find out how is calculated this and that (economy, AI...) , but without greater successes so far. Guess we will have to wait 'till some info from the authors leak out :)

dhague
11-26-2004, 07:15
I have a "testbed mod" that I use to try modding ideas (super-Macedon). It has a fully populated 4-generation family tree (64 boys at the bottom). I made a family VnV that included fertility at Prolific (fertility=3) and had no new kids even after the bottom kids had been married for 20 years. Getting a bit crazy, I started running games with massive jumps in Fertility. At fertility level = 6, I got about 2 kids. At fertility level = 12, I got about 4 kids. At fertility leve = 16, I got about 7 kids. At fertility level = 32, I got about 14 kids. At fertility level 48, it went back to no kids. Fertility looks broken to me. I almost suspect that we modders need to figure out how to add a fertility trait to the wives as well as the men. Hope someone has some ideas!!!

Szun
11-26-2004, 14:59
well I did add a +20 to a priest of jupiter and made him 100% to occure.
So all generals had a fetiliy 20, I observed a strange behavior.

with only a few provinces it took some time to get children, but when 1 children would be triggered I normaly got like 4 in 1 turn.
after the family tree was full , as in 4 kids per couple, nothing happend for a long time.
After a few kids got married, no new birth happend. Not until I either:
- conquered some provinces
- some older members died

then again I had a children rush of 4-6 per year (2 turns)

This leads to 2 factors for haveing a big family:

- the bigger your terretory the bigger the family can get
- the young generation gets kids when the old one dies

Also I did edit a family tree of 1 grandpa 4 sons and 16 grandsons
after the gradsons had children the game crashed...
wich is kinda odd but i belif my teretory was to smal and the starting family was to big and boom.

also at the end I added +20 to every priest in game for every faction and no faction runs out of members quick.

dhague
11-26-2004, 21:13
-Snipped

Also I did edit a family tree of 1 grandpa 4 sons and 16 grandsons
after the gradsons had children the game crashed...
wich is kinda odd but i belif my teretory was to smal and the starting family was to big and boom. --end snip

I had no CTDs when the rare 5th generation kid was born. However, I did have a CTD on kid "coming of age" which was tracked down to a spelling error in a custom trait trigger in the effects section. It would appear that the built-into-game "error checking on startup" can miss problems internal to the trigger scripts until that script section is actually executed.

Steppe Merc
11-27-2004, 18:56
Is their no way to let generals have a lot more kids? The Eastern kings had many wives, and some had about 50 kids... Needless to say, 4 kids isn't cutting it.

dhague
11-28-2004, 01:58
Is their no way to let generals have a lot more kids? The Eastern kings had many wives, and some had about 50 kids... Needless to say, 4 kids isn't cutting it.

Early in my mod experience, I tried adding more than 4 kids per father in the family tree. While I've forgotten some of the details, it caused lots of problems. It would always mess up the "family tree display". Another error was messing up passing the heir status on leader death. There were also unpredictable CTDs that may have been tied to births and/or coming-of-age.

For now consider it to be hard-coded at 4 kids per father.

While the "root-father" of the faction has to be alive in descr_strat.txt, he can be very old (70-90) appears to be OK so you could add family generations. I started one leader at 70 and he survived as high as 85 (the last 8 years in a plague town, of course the HaleAndHearty trait may have helped there). However: While the typical survival time at age 70 would be 6-10 years, sometimes the leader would die on the first or second turn.

Steppe Merc
11-28-2004, 02:51
Darn. Yet another stupid CA descion limiting us. :furious3: