PDA

View Full Version : Touring Japan

Zen Blade
09-24-2001, 21:04
hey guys,

I am planning a trip to japan this coming Summer and of course want to check out some of the cool historical sites.
I'm planning to hit Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo as of right now, but definitely want to check out other places.
any recommendations?

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
SHS Core Member

whyidie
09-25-2001, 05:46
Well for starters make sure you DON'T get on any game shows especially, "Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show ". That one will be the death of you. I've heard that "America Town" has some really good western cuisine so you might want to give that one a shot.

Koga No Goshi
09-27-2001, 06:30
Zen,

I haven't been to Japan yet, though I Plan to go next year, but I know tons of people who've gone. Kyoto, Tokyo, and Oosaka are definitely places NOT to miss, but they're VERY VERY "Americanized" cities and very crowded and everything is expensive. Make some time to hit some of the more out of the way places where some of the history is more intact. I'd recommend Okazaki in Aichi Prefecture (Tokugawa's home castle when he was just lord of 2 provinces), Kumamoto (in Kyushu), Odawara Castle in Odawara (On ToranagaSama's recommendation), and of course please please please don't go to Japan as a fan of history and NOT go to Himeji Castle, it's just a little ways from Osaka anyway.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

"Hokusai"
Now as a spirit
I shall roam
the summer fields.

Toranaga sama
09-27-2001, 06:41
In Kyoto you should make it a point to visit Kinkakuji (golden pavilion). I didn't really enjoy the silver pavilion (not really silver.. long story) but you should go see sanjusangendo, and kyuumizudera. Kyuumizu is within walking distance of Gion, and it's worth a shot. It's a very gaijin-friendly city, so you shouldn't have trouble. I don't think I waited 10 or 15 minutes for a bus.

Zen Blade
09-27-2001, 08:32
toronaga,

please forgive my ignorance, but....

where and WHAT are the last names that you gave me.... (everything after the silver pavillion/palace)???

: )

actually, I was already thinking about Himeji... I also heard... about Matsu(moto)? in what once would have been Shinano (nagano now I think)...

and does anyone know if the old Asai clan-related things are in visiting fashion? Obviously not Odani castle, but the Anegawa or other places...

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
SHS Core Member

TosaInu
09-27-2001, 19:15
Konnichiwa Zen-Blade san,

Nice. I wish you a lot of pre-holiday fun for now.

Yagyu Jubei
09-28-2001, 00:12
Don't forget to add Nara to your trip m8~ there is a lot to see all within walking distance of the bus or trains station. A must see as it was the capitol for many years. Feed the sacred deer, See the largets all wooden structure in the world and the biggest Buddha in Japan.

------------------
Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu! Ganbate!

jskirwin@yahoo.com
09-28-2001, 03:34
100th post. Yippee I'm a hero. Wait til I tell mom...

As Toro said, Kyoto is very gaijin friendly though the Osakans are more fun to drink with.

I suggest Arashiyama in the West (can hit by bus after visiting Kinkakuji). It's summer, and Mushi-atsuii - buggy hot. Grab a few beers, sit along the river near the Imperial Villa, and watch the boaters make idiots of themselves. This is a definite must if you are visiting during O-Bon (mid Aug). You can also climb "Monkey mountain" and hang with some Japanese Macaques. The Asaba family which cares for them are extremely friendly to foreigners. It's a good way to spend a day.

Also, consider the hot springs. About 1 1/2 hours by JR Kyoto there is Kinosaki on the Japan Sea. Just be sure you go to an establishment which accepts foreigners. It's not exactly very historical, but nothing beats a good steaming bath in Japan - especially on a cold winter night.

------------------
I take refuge in the Buddha.