PDA

View Full Version : New avatars.

TosaInu
11-19-2004, 12:44
Hello,

Tricky Lady put a batch of new RTW avatars together, you can find them in the UserCP.

The_Emperor
11-19-2004, 13:36
Wow, nice stuff...

Any chance for some Roman ones? ~;)

TosaInu
11-19-2004, 13:45
Not added to the database yet The_Emperor.

Basileus
11-19-2004, 13:51
kool, i was waiting for the greek ones heh, nothing like a corinthian helmet

Mouzafphaerre
11-19-2004, 16:18
-
Well done Tricky! ~:)
_

Lonewarrior
11-19-2004, 17:51
Tricky lady rules.

lancelot
11-19-2004, 18:23
I wanted a greek one too, with a big fluffy plume!

Tricky Lady
11-20-2004, 23:57
Well now let's hope they'll be used... :smiley:

Quietus
11-21-2004, 09:22
Awesome TL! I can't find them though. :huh: Is there a minimum post # required?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the faq link. :deal:

Tricky Lady
11-24-2004, 17:43
Any chance for some Roman ones?

I just checked the User Control Panel, and it seems that a first batch is already uploaded.
~:)

The_Emperor
11-24-2004, 19:08
I just checked the User Control Panel, and it seems that a first batch is already uploaded.
~:)

Ahh nice...

Thankyou Tricky Lady! :bow:

Rurik the Chieftain
12-16-2004, 03:24
New Avatars? I probably already had that choice when I joined very recently, but thanks anyway! More choice is always better! ~:)

Byzantine Prince
12-16-2004, 22:21
Where are the greek and roman avatars that some people here seem to have? I only saw barbarian, and eastern. :furious3:

Mouzafphaerre
12-16-2004, 22:45
-
You will gain access to gradually a larger pool of avatars ...cough... as your spamcount increases...ahem...cough... you contribute more to the community.
-

Byzantine Prince
12-16-2004, 23:31
Yeah i didn't know that. Kewl, Ill remeber that.

BTW, i always thought your flag looked familiar. It's the symbol of the Greek Janissary that took on The Pope isn't it?

I'm proud of my history so I read a lot about janissaries. It's fascinating.

Mouzafphaerre
12-17-2004, 00:14
-
Hayreddin wasn't a Janissary but his mother was Greek:

http://www.piratescrossroads.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=238

Cheers...

I guess you're of Greek descent too?
_

Byzantine Prince
12-17-2004, 01:57
I'm sorry i didn't mean he was a janissary. I just meant Im interested in janissaries and other converts.

All I knew was that he was a pasha.

Khayreddin Pasha, a.k.a. Barbarossa, was a Greek converted to Islam. He was corsair in the Mediterranean Sea and warlord of Algiers. Sultan Selim I "hired" him in 1519 with the title of beylerbey (Province Governor) of Algiers. In 1533, Suleiman the Magnificent asked him to reorganize the Ottoman Navy and gave him the title of Kapudan Pasha (Great Admiral). Barbarossa supervised the shipyards in Galata, where a powerful Navy was created. In 1534, he seized Tunis, Corfu and the other islands of the Aegean Sea. In 1538, he defeated the joint fleets of Charles I of Spain, Venice and the Pope. Barbarossa died in 1546, short after the siege of Nice with the French Navy. Nice then belonged to Savoy, and François I, King of France, was allied with Suleiman against Charles I.

Mouzafphaerre
12-17-2004, 07:59
-
Still, false information. ~;)

He was not a Greek convert but the son of a retired Turk soldier and a Greek native of Lesbos. Started his carrier as a merchant, transporting goods mainly in the Aegean Sea. His elder brother, Oruç (Baba Oruç → Barbarossa), took a relatively dangerus yet more profittable route (to Tripoli) and was taken prisoner by the Knights Hospitaller after a raid. He managed to escape and started privateering under Prince Korkud, brother of Sultan Selim I (yet to ascent to the throne), at which time Hızır (future Khayreddin) joined him.

Changing their patrons under various political circumstances, they finally found it secure to set sail in the Western Mediterranean and settled in Tunusia, paying tribute to the local strongman.

By the time, Selim I had descended to the throne defeating his father and eliminating his brothers. They lent him their hand in the Egyptian campaign of 1517, thus forming a good relationship.

The locals of Algiers sought their help against the invading Spanish, which gave way to their independent sultanate over there. However, the native warlords revolted and cooperated with the Spanish to expell them and -Oruç having been killed in action- Sultan Khayreddin offered his throne to the Ottoman emperor in return for help. He conquered Algeria, this time on behalf and with the support of the Ottomans, and was styled viceroy ("Beylerbeyi").

During the reign of Selim's successor, Suleyman I ("the magnifique"), Khayreddin Paşa was styled the Imperial Admiral and appointed to rebuild the navy. He did so successfully, which resulted in Ottoman Empire being a major naval power in the Mediterranean and remaining so well until the XVIIIth century, althugh they were no more invincible from Lepanto 1571 on. In 1528, Khayreddin defeated the mighty allied "crusader" navy under the famous Andrea d'Oria near Preveze, SW of present day Greece, and expelled an invasion attempt on Algeria directly commanded by Karl V/Carlos I.

In early 1540's, his "Beylerbeyi" post was handed over to Hasan Paşa, his son, himself retaining the imperial title.

He died in 1546, at the peak of his military carreer but politically pacified and fairly upset, in Istanbul.

I can say I'm quite well read about him compared to other things. All the info I've written above are directly from his narrated biography and other contemporary chronicals. Some details that I have skipped aren't in my mind, but I can look them up for you.

Cheers! ~:)
-

Drisos
01-31-2005, 11:13
Wouldn't anyone be intrested in new STW avatars, each avatar exists ten times, that's annoying!

:help:

TosaInu
01-31-2005, 16:56
Hello drisos,

STW didn't have so many portraits. There was an interest to keep things tidy (same size, style etc), so it's hard to add the other graphics around.

Disussion about avatar policy is still open of course.

I would like to see some more avatar relating to MTWVI please similiar to Ironsides more European Warrior like and Vikings of course.Thanks

TosaInu
03-13-2005, 12:19
There are over 500 already Age. A system has been requested where people making more posts get more avatars.

The system before that was that all avatars got unlocked at once at 500 posts, until then you'ld get a generic avatar depending on your postcount.

The system before that was that you'ld have to make 1,000 posts and then you might get an individual avatar.

Devastatin Dave
03-14-2005, 03:46
The system before that was that you'ld have to make 1,000 posts and then you might get an individual avatar.
3406 posts so far!!!
Too bad the old system isn't still around 'cause I'd want this one...

http://www.lejournaldemourial.com/images/articles/musique/devastatin_dave.gif

LOL!!!

Drisos
03-14-2005, 15:40
[QUOTE=TosaInu]STW didn't have so many portraits. There was an interest to keep things tidy (same size, style etc), so it's hard to add the other graphics around.[QUOTE]

I know, but i can remember at least a few others who were really nice ~:cool: .

I don't if your time is worth it for a few new, but I know some guys who would apreciate it. (me too, using roman rogues now as avatar.)

:bow: