PDA

View Full Version : General bodyguards

Watchman
11-21-2004, 01:53
I got annoyed with the plain-vanilla, drab-looking and rather fragile "early" generals' bodyguards and fixed the matter by copy-pasting the appropriate "late" versions' stats atop the "early" ones' in the export_descr_units file. Now, this had the desired effect of turning the bodyguards into the late-model hardcases you otherwise don't get thanks to the upgrade function not working.

Then I went to the unpacked unit info folders and studiously replaced all the relevant XXX_INFO.TGA files with the appropriate late models renamed to take their place, and treated the #XXX_YYY.TGA files to the same (backuping all the originals, naturally). Then I went and edited the unit flavor texts in descr_unit accordingly (copy/paste is your friend).

To my understanding this should have converted the unit info cards from "early" to "late" models, despite the fact they still go under the "early" names.

Alas, this didn't happen - the info cards still cheerfully show the "Early" pictures and even description texts, regardless of the fact the descr_unit sections they should be referring to have been changed.

It's not actually vital or anything, as the bodyguard units work in combat without any glitches, just aesthetically annoying and somewhat puzzling. Can anyone figure out why the info cards didn't change ?

NicSO
11-21-2004, 02:14
I would say that u didnt change all necesary files or/& there is some conflict between the fact that your unit is really early general unit, not late.

Try to copy all files again. Go on search prog. In windows and find all files connected with early and late general units in game folder!!!

tommh
11-22-2004, 12:31
This is because you didn't adjust the dictionary entries. The text and pictures are linked to the unit via the dictionary. You need to mod the entries to point to your new generals. Check out my Generals mod:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15795

Watchman
11-24-2004, 13:59
Hmm, the texts seem to have sorted themselves out apparently on their own. Ah well, it's not like you saw the bodyguard unit infos all that often anyway.