PDA

View Full Version : Sigs....

JAG
11-26-2004, 20:05
Is it possible at all to let us have a few more charactors for our sigs. It seems amazing to me that while people are allowed HUGE pictures in sigs which take up a lot of room and time in loading, people who want to put a saying of more than a few lines or a short - yes short, not talking huge ones here - poem are unable to do so due to the very restrictive 500 charactors. This, may I add, is also charactors WITH spaces, not without, so it is not even as if this is as big as it seems.

Is it possible for those who want to get a point across which is just as distinct and worthy as pictures in sigs get given the chance? These also will not only take up less room than the picture sigs, which are allowed at the moment, but also will not hinder loading onto computers like the pictures. Please could we be given a bit more lee-way in what we can put in our sig - word wise.

Kaiser of Arabia
11-26-2004, 20:16
i concur, i want more than 500 chars!

Silver Rusher
11-26-2004, 20:22
Yeah, I think that if it's possible on VB it should be a limit of 1,000 with only a few small pics allowed. (I only have one pic in my sig, a banner...)

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
11-26-2004, 20:34
In my opinion, sigs are already way too lax... some topics look like slide show of sig. I'd really like the current rules about sigs to be enforced.

1 pic of very small size, and enough characters for a small poem, haiku style. No more. Make your point with limited means.

Louis,

Tricky Lady
11-26-2004, 23:59
One more reason to permanently hide the sigs. :blank2: I'm glad that this is an option.

JAG
11-27-2004, 15:52
So... Tosa any chance of more charactors for sigs?

therother
11-28-2004, 05:31
I don't think we want threads being taken up with long text signatures either. There are tight restrictions on the dimensions (not just the file size) of signature pictures; if you have a 20-line poem as your signature, it will take up much more room than a picture 150 pixels in height. I suppose there could be a line restriction on signatures, but that would work against the use of longer poems, no?

I currently have signatures on, as I have a fast connection, and I like to see them. But if they start to take up more vertical room than the posts themselves, then more people like myself will feel compelled to turn them off, which would be a shame.

TosaInu
11-28-2004, 14:08
Hello,

VB doesn't offer a line restriction as far as I know.

I think that the regulations about signature pictures are both clear and fair. Yet, we already see pictures not matching those rules, not by a small margin but 10's or even 100's k bigger.

Allowing 500+ chars in signatures will offer the ability to create sigs with both huge pictures and huge text. More people will be forced to turn off this extra dimension.

I'ld be willing to look into this if people gave some thoughts about other users.

therother
11-28-2004, 16:50
VB doesn't offer a line restriction as far as I know.Well, in v2 it was possible via various hacks, IIRC. Perhaps they didn't add the feature for the new version - can't check as the official site seems to be down at the moment. Not a great advertisement for their products!

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2004, 17:03
-
Can my query about table tags help? IMHO if we had tables pics and text could coexist in adjacent coloumns saving vertical space.

:bow:
_

The_Emperor
11-29-2004, 16:35
Wow another Sig topic to follow mine...

Personally I agree that signatures are currently rather lax. For my part I have tried to keep the file size down and the text as short as possible.

It would be great if we could have some file size restrictions though.

TosaInu
11-29-2004, 20:10
Mouzafphaerre .. the coin hits the lever ~:) Worth looking at this. Table tags are a dangerous thing for forum layout though.

Checking filesize would be nice.

therother
11-29-2004, 20:37
It would be great if we could have some file size restrictions though.It appears that Jelsoft haven't integrated that many tools for controlling signatures (both text and images) as yet.

The hacker community is still as active as ever though, and there are a number of mods for this area, ranging from fairly crude to quite elegant (and complex) solutions. This one (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63841) (home site (http://www.vbhacks.us/forum/showthread.php?t=107)) seems to be widely acknowledged as the most promising solution for restricting both signature dimension and file size -- as well as a few secondary benefits -- but it seems to have one or two known issues.

Of course, all this is dependent on a number of factors, not least the amount of time our esteemed administrator can spend on the inevitable road testing any mod before putting it live.

Mouzafphaerre
11-30-2004, 15:28
-

Mouzafphaerre .. the coin hits the lever ~:) Worth looking at this. Table tags are a dangerous thing for forum layout though.
Could limiting the table width to a certain size or a certain percentage of the allocated message be possible, they would be harmless, obedient tags.

:happyg:
_

Louis VI the Fat
11-30-2004, 18:29
... some topics look like slide show of sig.

1 pic of very small size, and enough characters for a small poem, haiku style. No more. Make your point with limited means.

Louis.
I concur.

Louis IV.

TosaInu
11-30-2004, 18:33
The problem is that table tags tend to affect the look of the forum layout (forget to use the closing tag).

Thanks for the link therother. The host will have to change the PHP configuration. I'm currently occupied with another hack. I think you'll see it soon.

Templar Knight
11-30-2004, 21:03
why do people need huge sig pics anyway? :dizzy2:

Admintestc3
11-30-2004, 22:33
Post.

Kaiser of Arabia
11-30-2004, 23:21
599.992 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneoneshift+1shift+1shift+1shift+1
OH MY GOD
-Capo

TosaInu
11-30-2004, 23:26
AdminTest is an account I use to check things. The postcount is edited.

Kraellin
12-01-2004, 00:38
i'm against large text sigs for one simple reason; every time i see a certain person's text sig, i keep thinking this is a new post, plus he already has a sig pic as well. it's just too much. most every forum i visit you are limited to one or maybe two lines and no sig pic. now, we dont have to follow the crowd, that's true. but, it does get to be beyond a reasonable amount somewhere around 4 or 5 lines, and even that's pretty generous.

also bear in mind that every sig line and pic adds to overall 'weight' of the Org and we've already had to cut posts because of some cap which seems to exist either with this board or with the server we are on. so, do you want larger sigs and see your posts cut more often, or do we use a little conservation and save the whale :)

K.

therother
12-01-2004, 05:55
During my trawl of vBulletin hacks, I found one called User Selectable Signature Line Display Limit (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69897). Which basically does what it says on the tin - allows individual users to select how many lines of signature text will be displayed. Quite handy, I would think, assuming it works as advertised.

For the sake of completeness, these are the others I found:

Quick Sig Image Size Limiter (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60354) - reportedly limits, with modification, both the file size and dimensions of signature pictures. Problem is that the changes/add-ons to the original code are in the thread and have not been collated in the original post.

Easily limit the size of user signatures (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87232) - with this one, the browser will only show the "first" x pixels in width and y pixels in height of the signature picture, and the rest will be hidden. x and y are admin definable. No file size limit though.

Signature Mod v1.0 Beta 2 (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59724) - older hack that seems to have been superseded by User Selectable Signature Line Display Limit mentioned above.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing what new feature(s) you are currently concocting for us Tosa!

Edit: Forgot one Showing signatures once per page (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=580870&postcount=4) - again, fairly straightforward: "This will cause each user's signature to be shown only on their first post on each page."

Mouzafphaerre
12-04-2004, 16:42
-

The problem is that table tags tend to affect the look of the forum layout (forget to use the closing tag).
I've just tested Simple Machines (http://www.simplemachines.org/) at their forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php). Table code without closing tag is disregarded and processed as text. There should be something identical in VB, which is a pretty expensive piece of software as opposed to the freeware SM.
_

TosaInu
12-06-2004, 22:47
I think that the regulations about signature pictures are both clear and fair. Yet, we already see pictures not matching those rules, not by a small margin but 10's or even 100's k bigger.

Allowing 500+ chars in signatures will offer the ability to create sigs with both huge pictures and huge text. More people will be forced to turn off this extra dimension.

I'ld be willing to look into this if people gave some thoughts about other users.

TosaInu
12-07-2004, 18:54
I think that the regulations about signature pictures are both clear and fair. Yet, we see pictures not matching those rules, not by a small margin but 10's or even 100's kb bigger.

More people will be forced to turn off this extra dimension.

KukriKhan
12-08-2004, 04:35
For our politeness-impaired members, allow me to translate:

The forum Admin has repeated himself (politely) twice over the past 9 days. I've known him since 2000, and never seen him double-post, much less triple-post.

Everyone should check their sig now for compliance with the stated Org standard - and spread the word that sig size and bandwidth will be scrutinized closely by staff. Voluntary compliance is preferred, of course.

Anyone with trouble bringing their sig into compliance can feel free to contact me or any other moderator - many of us have image-resizing software we can use to assist.

Duke John
12-08-2004, 07:19
So when can we start warning people for not thinking about others in a community?

Just give the call.
*finger twitches* :smash:

:wink:

Medieval Assassin
12-08-2004, 22:58
I am a 56ker... The forum is great, the page loads up and THEN the pictures and sigs appear,I can read the page before the pictures all load up...its not the size or kb, its the number of pixils.

therother
12-09-2004, 02:05
Everyone should check their sig now for compliance with the stated Org standard...Hint - there are a few in this very thread who aren't currently complying with the Org's standards. :inquisitive:

Tip for the narrowbanders: you can turn off avatars, signatures and images by going into your User Control Panel (UserCP), select Edit Options, and scroll down to Thread Display Options. You can also alter the number of posts shown per page.

Depending on the cache settings of your browser, these options could improve page loading times significantly.

Uesugi Kenshin
12-09-2004, 04:56
WOO HOO MINE COMPLIES!

I have 56k and the only real trouble I have had is tonight, probably from AIM being open and when I went to the CTW loading screens thread.... many large but necessary pictures. But the rules should definately not be made more lax because my modem would have an aneurysm!

TosaInu
12-09-2004, 18:08
I am a 56ker... The forum is great, the page loads up and THEN the pictures and sigs appear,I can read the page before the pictures all load up...its not the size or kb, its the number of pixils.

Hello Medieval Assassin,

More pixels result in a larger size of the image which results in more kb.
Normally, because there's also pixeldepth. 2 bit color consumes less kb/pixel than 32 bit color. What determines the size is number of pixels and the colordepth. A 20*10 pixel 2 bit jpeg of a white background is 336 byte, the same jpeg at 32 bit is 635 byte.

Pictures are limited to 500 pixels wide to prevent scrolling and posts becoming wider than the topic. 150 pixels high to minimize the need to scroll. 10 kb to allow fair speed to 56k users, no sound because some people use the PC to play music while browsing.

Medieval Assassin
12-09-2004, 21:24
What I'm saying is I have no problem with high KB images, just when these images take up the whole screen.

TosaInu
12-10-2004, 16:11
Thanks to therother for the link, there was something useful on page 2 of the second.
These are the settings now:

Signature box is 500*200 pixels max and provides room for one or more pic at max 500*150 pixels, 10 kb, no sound + 2 lines of text or 11 lines of 700 chars.

Please note that sigs may look cut off. Please users, update all signatures to comply to the new rules.

Mouzafphaerre
12-11-2004, 00:07
-
Shall obey. :bow:
_

Mouzafphaerre
12-11-2004, 03:05
please delete this...

Mouzafphaerre
12-11-2004, 03:14
-
test (please delete...)
_

Uesugi Kenshin
12-11-2004, 05:21
I love listening to my music and surfing the org....

Your wish is my command........thingy........sometimes...... :bow:

TosaInu
12-11-2004, 14:27
Thanks for updating it.

I see now that I explained it a bit confusing, sorry. There's room for a picture up to 150 pixels high and 2 lines of text or 11 lines of text. But any other configuration in between those is fine too.

TosaInu
12-13-2004, 01:20
-

I've just tested Simple Machines (http://www.simplemachines.org/) at their forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php). Table code without closing tag is disregarded and processed as text. There should be something identical in VB, which is a pretty expensive piece of software as opposed to the freeware SM.
_

I found something that hacks the textparser, that one may do it. Will check later. Just tried a straightforward BB code one today. It messed the forum very badly when used wrong.

Mouzafphaerre
01-14-2005, 13:22
-

I think that the regulations about signature pictures are both clear and fair. Yet, we already see pictures not matching those rules, not by a small margin but 10's or even 100's k bigger. It seems I'm the only fool to give up his signature images, work on designing new ones for precious hours to cope with the rules. :no: Private or public hintings, even open discussions in certain boards do not trigger people to decrease their signatures' image sizes. Hitting the bad post button for each and every instance and having to explain to the moderator that the sig image is too big in size isn't convenient either, and makes me feel like a police informer.:embarassed:

Apparently, showcasing their artwork is more important to most peple than conforming to the rules of this community, which I thought were applicable to everyone, not just me. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/icons/icon8.gif

:furious:
-

Gregoshi
01-14-2005, 14:51
Mouzafphaerre, I don't think that being considerate of other patrons and following forum rules is the mark of a fool. Those with large sig images either aren't aware of the rules or think they are above them (and other patrons). The former is excusable, the latter is just plain rude. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no easy way to police sig images and spot those in violation. I have to admit, right-clicking on every sig image I see is not the first thing I think to do when I'm reading threads. However, you should not feel the need to be the sig police. Having said that, should you see an illegal sig picture, your best course of action is to PM a staff member you feel comfortable with and let them handle it. Beyond that, don't worry about it and feel good that you at least are doing the right thing. ~:pat:

Hosakawa Tito
01-14-2005, 15:30
What Greg said. Being considerate of others by following the rules is not the sign of a fool, quite the contrary. :bow: Your hours of work reconfiguring your sig pics might have been tedious and frustrating, but the reward is that you also gained knowledge you didn't have before. ~:cheers:

TosaInu
01-14-2005, 18:41
Hello,

As far as my memory serves me, there were no sigs pics allowed in the forum used prior to Ikonboard, because it was a known annoyance for users when abused. Sadly enough, annoying others is a favourite 'sport' and exercised anywhere and anytime with any tool available.

I know the concerns of some people with pictures in signatures, mainly that they are too large. The dimensions can be an annoyance, but also the filesize when using a slow connection. Some people would like to see them go completely, others want a small one, others again have much to show.

Personally I think sigs are great, but I understand the concerns of other users. Thus a arbitrary rule has been set by me in fall 2002 when we switched to Ikonboard. Sig pictures are max 10,240, bytes large, signatures are not allowed to contain sounds as that's yet another annoyance (yes I know that the host uses some banners with sounds, I can't help that, but very sorry), and have width and height restrictions to ensure acceptable formatting on even 15" screens. The number of characters was restricted to 500 iirc.

People who like sigs to be removed completely can go to the UserCP and strip all sigs from all posts. The more people forced to do so, the less effective 'advertising' in sigs is (URLS, pictures).

This arbritrary rule set by me in fall 2002, yet not for my own pleasure in whatever form, never ever changed since.

I say never changed, it did a bit recently though, because of a load of oversized sigs and the request to add more text. Not visible, but each post has a signature box now -see post #33 and #38- and any dimension above that is simply cut off. The allowed dimensions of the picture/combined pictures are still the same as 2 years ago though and the number of allowed characters is increased to 700.

Any user who fails to update his/her signature before Monday 17-1-2005 12.00 AM GMT, will have his/her account updated to minimal privileges. Due to the amount of administration involved, this is an account of one size fits all dummies and many things will be gone for you.

Post any comment or question here please.

Kaiser of Arabia
01-14-2005, 21:06
um I have no clue if my sig follows the regulations...
Does it?
If not, I will remove it.

Duke John
01-14-2005, 21:12
It is 20 kB while it should 10 kB plus the size is too big.

... we really need to have the guidelines at a more prominent face. Perhaps a popup every time you visit the forum? :wink:

Oh and nice deadline, Tosa, no more Mister Tolerate, right? :2thumbsup: Hopefully it works well.

Mouzafphaerre
01-15-2005, 01:24
-
Thanks, and sorry for showing my frustration that directly. Since September 2002, when I stepped into the Sea Dogs forum to ask for some help, I have been quite active in half a dozen community forums. In most of them people -including myself- use signature pictures and animations for expressive purposes. Personally, I don't have a problem with them, I didn't have when I used to be on dialup either.

The point here is the rules/guidelines/you name it set for the community so that everybody should obey. You may disagree, you may not like, but you have to obey or go. My signature image was violating the rules, albeit with a comparatively small margin, which doesn't matter at all. After the announcements made by Tosa and moderators in this very thread, I changed it in accordance with the limits. I added the "Europa Barbarorum" lines in the same fashion. As it is, my signature hosts my flag, our brotherhood logo, our brotherhood motto, EB logos; and it is only 4.39 KB (4492 bytes), which shows that you can express something, show out some art and still keep within the regulations.

What blew up my bomb was a recent discussion in a hidden subboard. I posted in a related thread:

...these signatures are too big in file size. The allowed upper limit is 10K...
and then:

...it's the file size that has to be 10 KB maximum.
but people insisted on showing up with 60+ KB images. Althugh I believe that it's not their intention, that manner is equivalent to shouting loud "you fool!" at my face.

I'm going to post a link to this thread there...
-

Uesugi Kenshin
01-15-2005, 05:06
Maybe this will make the pages load faster for me.... Good job taking a stand Tosa, hopefully this will work and the giant files will be gone.

Herakleitos
01-17-2005, 15:48
My 'sigpic' is 10504 bytes... :embarassed: I have uploaded a smaller version of the image to the .org but don't know how to make that appear in my signature; now I just have a link to the original url...

therother
01-17-2005, 16:19
My 'sigpic' is 10504 bytes... :embarassed: I have uploaded a smaller version of the image to the .org but don't know how to make that appear in my signature; now I just have a link to the original url...I would suggest removing the picture in the meantime, and wait for your new one to become available at the Org. Alternatively, you could arrange to have it hosted elsewhere on the Web. KukriKhan has been very generously helping people comply with the signature picture regulations. Try dropping him a PM (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/private.php?do=newpm&u=4149).

TosaInu
01-17-2005, 16:25
Hello Herakleitos,

I could only find this one http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pics/A_Herakleitos.gif
perhaps you uploaded another? Could you tell what which uploader you used and/or the name of the file?

Thanks.

Mouzafphaerre
01-19-2005, 16:19
-

Any user who fails to update his/her signature before Monday 17-1-2005 12.00 AM GMT, will have his/her account updated to minimal privileges. Due to the amount of administration involved, this is an account of one size fits all dummies and many things will be gone for you.
It's 19-1-2005 3.00 PM GMT right now and there is a 89.06 KB standing right before my eye.

When a rule is not executed for every member of a community, and that rule implies a restriction, there is clear unjust behaviour against those few members who do comply with the rules.

Sorry to do this but I will not be visiting the Guild from now on, until either a way of applying the image size restriction to every member is found and executed, or the restriction is abandoned altogether.

It was great time I had here. Goodbye.

Regards. :bow:
-

Togakure
01-19-2005, 17:52
You are right about the injustice. But I think you are being just a bit silly in your reaction. Also, I think you could consider cutting the staff here some slack. They work very hard--voluntarily--to make the Org what it is (which is one of the better boards I have encountered, and I have encountered many ...).

It seems that you get a lot from this place, based on the level of participation your signature suggests. Is it really so offensive that you would give up everything else you get from here just because some dorks have big signatures?? To be honest, I'll bet some of them don't even know how to check how big their signature is! So for a few at least, it is not defiance, but simple ignorance.

It is not a man's place to tell another man what to do, but as I have enjoyed your posts and creative expressions here, I thought I'd express my opinion about this. I think context is the thing here--I understand how you feel about the sigs; I feel the same way about how many choose to behave here. But, I still get a lot out of the place, and I've learned to just ignore those that remind me of fecal matter. I mean come on--they're everywhere these days anyway--where ya gonna go that's feces free?

Your decision m8. Enjoy your beer, wherever you go.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-19-2005, 18:05
I agree with Toga, it is not helping you to leave... People will still have big signatures and the mods will still try to stop them, not much will change, except the org will lose you as a member... You should stay on and just turn off sigs until the issue is resolved..

TosaInu
01-19-2005, 18:05
Hello Mouzafphaerre,

It's not a matter of condoning it from some, it's a manual proces and it took me several hours last monday to check signatures. Any account not complying, whether it was 10's of kb or just a few bytes more than 10,240, was reset. I'm sure a couple of accounts aren't checked yet.

The check for filesize by software isn't working here afaik, if it did it would not bring much happiness, for it will most likely allow only 1 signature image.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-19-2005, 18:07
I agree with Toga, it is not helping you to leave... People will still have big signatures and the mods will still try to stop them, I doubt anybody that has a sig over the restriction is going to fix it because of your departure. I bet a lot of people don't even keep an eye on the watchtower or the announcements that have appeared all over the forum. You should stay on and just turn off sigs until the issue is resolved..

Mouzafphaerre
01-20-2005, 02:47
-
Even the slightest quarrel or conflict should be out of consideration in the holidays. ~:)

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, and sorry for dumping unto you dear Tosa. :bow:

One thing should be cleared though:

just turn off sigs until the issue is resolved

I have nothing personal against the sig pics. Even when E-mule is working hard on the background, the pages load as fast as possible thanks to DSL. My point is that if there is a rule, it must be for everyone, not just me. :no:
-

Uesugi Kenshin
01-20-2005, 03:25
Oh you have DSL? Good for you, I am stuck with dial up, fast for dial up at 52 kbps but still dial up..... And with AIM open..... Well thank god I have music to keep me from dying...

Togakure
01-20-2005, 06:17
My average transfer rate is 28.8 kbps. As far as slow connections go, I figure I prolly have among the slowest. I actually "feel the pain" when images are large. Honestly, only a few animated gifs here have ever slowed down my experience to the point that it was really annoying. Fortunately, the staff quickly dealt with the situation before I had to request it. The picture-laden threads are very slow, but I figure it's a good opportunity to fix a mug of tea while I wait for them to load. Having been spoiled by T1 lines and DSL connections in the past, it's a test of patience for me.

Duke John
01-20-2005, 08:39
Just keep on posting violators in this thread, it will at least save Tosa the time to search for them.

I have abandoned signatures already some time ago as it mostly shows how egocentric people can be and I see that enough already in real life.

Togakure
01-20-2005, 09:28
Sigs are really the only thing besides what a person writes that give any insight into the indivudual and their tastes. I enjoy seeing both the preferred art and the little sayings that people use to distinguish themselves here. I see them as little expressions of creative individuality, which I, for one, enjoy.

Egocentrism is everywhere. It's a big part of human nature. Those who revile against it are often the most guilty ... just more subtle about it than others.

If you see a buddha on the road ... .

TosaInu
01-20-2005, 11:57
Hello Mouzafphaerre,

The rule applies to everyone. To be honest: I'm thinking about adding a 10,241 bytes in my own, demote and free myself from this kindergarten.

Herakleitos
01-20-2005, 12:02
Hello Herakleitos,

I could only find this one http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pics/A_Herakleitos.gif
perhaps you uploaded another? Could you tell what which uploader you used and/or the name of the file?

Thanks.
Nope, this is it. Thanks very much. Looks better too; bit fuzzy maybe but a large (high) picture in your sig looks stupid when you write a post of just a few lines...

Mouzafphaerre
01-20-2005, 20:07
-
I like the place, the people, and I like the signatures too. I will not turn them off because of a bunch of selfish, irresponsible individuals.
-

Uesugi Kenshin
01-21-2005, 04:03
Yeah, even if I don't agree with many people in the backroom at least most of them discuss topics. Overall an excellent forum, thank you Tosa for putting in the effort to get people to comply with the signature rules. :bow:

TosaInu
01-22-2005, 13:41
This e-mail is send to the 44 users who have not updated their sigpic.

Dear forum user,

You may have noticed that your account has been changed this week. This is due to a heavyhanded action to enforce signature compliance.

The rule is basically unchanged since it was made in fall 2002 and is made to allow both individual expression and comfortable forum browsing and usage for people with less powerful hardware.

Here's the most recent topic in the Watchtower about it https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40255 .

I know your current account level is not a pleasure to use, you can send an e-mail to tosainu@totalwar.org containing your forum name and a copy of the rules for signatures as can be found in the faq https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/faq.php? Once you've read and understand the picture limits, your account will be updated again.

Thanks for your time reading this.

kankou1razor
01-22-2005, 21:43
I did received ur email Tosa but to be honest i dont understand what you are asking. Can u give me some lights in this issue??? ~:cheers:

therother
01-22-2005, 22:10
I did received ur email Tosa but to be honest i dont understand what you are asking. Can u give me some lights in this issue???Hi kankou1razor

The picture you had in your signature was larger than the allowed 10KB (10,240 bytes). As part of an announced crackdown on such pictures, your account privileges were downgraded to a bare minimum. To ensure that those who were breaching the forum rules, perhaps unknowingly, are now aware of the signature picture rules, TosaInu is asking you to email a copy of them -- along with your username -- to the email account above. Once you do this, Tosa will restore your account to normal.

Hope that helps clarify things. :medievalcheers:

The Wizard
01-23-2005, 16:14
Hello,

I have not recieved a single email from the Guild regarding this issue, but I can no longer edit and I do not see anything regarding the editing of signature in my profile in my account, nor do I see my signature anymore. Therefore, I shall assume my account has been reduced to a minimum of privileges. Therefore I wonder how in any way I should have known that I should have changed my signature to less lines of text (because when I added the sig itself, I checked the forum regulations to see if it was ok and it was), other than reading this thread.

I, for one, almost never come to the Watchtower. Why should I? Discussions over usually minor issues or issues that have nothing to do with me are no attraction to this place. So I didn't know of this deadline for the changing of sigs, although I was aware of the existence of this thread.

Therefore, I find the system used for notifying users they have a too large sig quite abominable and unfriendly, something I am not used to in this place. Perhaps a more widespread notification would have pointed out my 'violation', so I could have been spared this useless waste of time that is showing once again that I have knowledge of sig regulations. I was not aware, however, that a smaller sig than allowed still means only 2 lines of text.

Personally I find sigs a great thing, expressing one's character and interests. Egocentrism in no way comes to mind when I think of sigs. But rules are rules and breaking them on a place like this shall get you trouble and that is a waste of time and effort, and therefore I try to follow them. But if there is no knowledge of a supposed violation, than how can I follow them? If I did not know something in a store costs something and must be bought, how would I refrain from stealing?

Of course, going to this forum more often could be a solution. But, as I said, there really isn't anything interesting in here 95% of the time. So there is no reason to visit often. Perhaps a better system of notification to things decided in here would limit unpleasant experiences such as mine.

Thanks,

~Wiz

KukriKhan
01-23-2005, 19:45
On 15 Jan, I posted "please fix your sig" notices in the 6 most-frequently-visited forums. Apparently, I missed posting such a notice in the forum(s) you visit The Wizard. Sorry about that.

The Wizard
01-23-2005, 20:08
Ah, then I understand. I wasn't very active from that period up until the deadline, due to exams and other work concerning school.

That and the fact that I don't really visit such places as the Colosseum and Tavern forums.

Then the staff has done nothing wrong, as far as I'm concerned. I apoligize for my somewhat hastily constructed opinion :bow:

One question remains -- why didn't I recieve an email from the Guild detailing my violation?

Thanks,

~Wiz

TosaInu
01-23-2005, 21:28
Hello The Wizard,

Good and a fair question. The signature picture rule is made in fall 2002 and there have been various discussions about it since, not only in the Watchtower.

There are no tools available on this server to list users who exceed the signature limitations. Staff has to do it by hand, which is time consuming.

Accounts with an oversized signature, have the picture removed and get moved to the minimal options group (that account allows viewing and posting in all forums except the backroom and removes about any other candy). There's no public blacklist, only a grouping in the ACP that can be sent an e-mail using a tool that doesn't require another huge time investment. I've also posted the content of that mail here, because:

a. users may not have their e-mail updated.
b. users may not check that e-mail.
c. the server may fail to send the e-mail.

We all like to return to normal and enjoy the forums, don't we?

Sending each user a detailed mail/PM is too much work considering the amount of accounts not complying and the amount of other things I (yes, me) have to do.

Sending me an e-mail containing a copy of the sig pic rules from the FAQ and your forumnick is enough to get your account restored to normal.

UglyandHasty
01-24-2005, 21:59
email sent to you Tosa ! can i have my rights back so i can access my user CP and delete that sig ? sorry for any inconvenience or trouble :bow:

octavian
02-25-2005, 04:23
hey alrighty, i ws off the forums for a while and was unaware of this new legislation, on my way to the CP now.

Peace...

octavian
02-25-2005, 04:26
um, is there a particular reason im not allowed to do anything in my CP? im trying to remove my sig but i cant get into the menu.

octavian
02-25-2005, 05:50
me and my big mouth, didn't read all the way to the bottom of the page/email. i got an email sent out to u tosa, i think i did what u asked.

Morat
04-08-2005, 23:43
Hi

Didn't know exactly where to put this but I suppose here will do. I've noticed a few patrons with sigs quite substantially larger than 10k. One is closer to 500k. Is there nothing that can be down to stamp this out?

:help:

Shambles
04-08-2005, 23:56
Well Im afraid to tell you this,
but i visit a lot of forums,

And this problem plagues them all,

At 1 in particular When you eneterd your Sig image in your user cp It told you That it was to big,
then people Just enetred a name for a small picture, then after it had been accepted they simply went to there server and changed the sig, So they were still able to use LARGE sigs

how did they fix this you may ask?

Simply by disabeling ALL signatures,
Many people were outraged,
(mostly the ones who Had LARGE snazzy purpous made sigs "the ones breaking the rules")

But dissableing the sigs did help alot, and page loading times Were signifigantly redused for 56k users.

I like my lil sig's and Il probably make more. But Its no reall loss if they go.

Any way this is my last post for a Few hours , so c u ppl later,
:bow:

TosaInu
04-09-2005, 00:02
Hello Morat,

It's not possible here to do software checks on that. So we'll always have to react after it's done. Oversized signatures will be taken away if you PM a moderator or me.

Morat
04-09-2005, 00:32
That's a shame. Reading the thread (probably should have done that before posting, but what the hey) it is disappointing that the host does not change the PHP configuration. Is it a security thing?

tibilicus
04-09-2005, 16:12
How do you put pictures in your sig. Just wondering.