PDA

View Full Version : Mythical times...

Kraxis
11-26-2004, 22:54
If some of you remember I have previously mentioned that I wanted to work on a MOD where all the factions are mythical to an extent, while not including mythical beasts. The intent is to be rational about it, like where did the Centaurs come from? Well isn't it likely that some Greeks saw horse archers from a people that more or less lived in the 'saddle'? And so on...
Not all the factions have to be from the same period, but in general we are talking about the period around 1200BC, in other words the period of the Trojan war.
It is still in the planning stage, so things might get added along the way.

In bold faction name: (cities, italic is change in name or added province/city)
[special units so far] All factions should also have more conventional units, but that can wait for now.

Greece: (Sparta, Corinth, Athens, Thermon, Larissa to Thebes, Lesbos
[Myrmidons] Swordsmen, Heavy, Very Hardy, Elite, big round shield
[Greek Heroes] Chariots, Javelins, Elite
[Nobles] Chariots, General, Javelins, Elite (the same unit as the Heroes)
[Sirens] Based on the screeching women, same effect
[Centaurs] Horse archers, short range (like slingers)

Troy: (Nicomedia to Troy, Byzantium, Pergamum, Sardis, Ancyra)
[Trojan Heroes] Chariots, Javelins, Elite (heavier than Greeks)
[Royal Guard] Cavalry, General
[Thracian Allies] Cavalry, light, fast, javelins
[Household Archers] Long Range, Elite, Armoured]
[Apollonian Guard] Cavalry, Heavy, Elite, big round shield

Minoan Empire (Kydonia, Halicarnassus, Rhodes)
[Marines] Very heavy javelineers, fast, Elite
[Royal Archers] Long Range, Hardy, Fast, Elite
[Pirates] Hardy, Fast, Javelins
[Cretan Archers] Long Range, Elite
[Minoan General] Chariot, archer, Elite
[Minotaurs] Swordsmen, Heavy, big horned helmet, undisciplined, Superior

Aenid Dynasty: (Rome, Ariminum perhaps cutting Umbria in two, keep southern, Capua)
[Romulans] Swordsmen, Heavy, Big round shield
[Remusans] Axemen, Heavy, Big round shield
[Noble Chariots] Chariots, Generals, Elite
[Martian Guards] Cavalry, Elite

Thrace: (Tylis, Bylazora, Porrolissum, Campus Getae)
[Chieftain Warband] Heavy Peltasts, Pelte, heavy armour, javelins, Very Hardy, Elite
[Thracian Cavalry] Cavalry, fast, javelins
[Scouts] Cavalry, very fast
[Getai Slingers] slingers, fast, hardy, pelte

Albion: (Londinium to Avalon, Deva, Eburacum)
[Royal Cavalry] Cavalry, Heavy, Elite
Cavalry, General, Heavy, Hardy, Elite
[Heavy Cavalry] Cavalry, Heavy, undisciplined
[Raiders] Cavalry, light, javelins

[B]Hittite Empire: (Mazaka, Tarsus, Sinope, Antioch)
[Heavy Chariots] Chariots, Heavy, Hardy
[Nobles] Chariots, General, Heavy, Hardy, Elite
[Sea People Infantry] Swordsmen, Superior

Egypt: (Thebes, Memphis, Alexandria to Giza, Jerusalem)
As it is more or less... ~D

Etruscan Hegemony: (Arretium, Upper Umbria, Patavium, Segesta)
[Early Hoplites] Spearmen, Javelins (if impossible with spears, then swordsmen), Heavy, big round shield

Assyria: (Hatra, Seleucia to Babylon, Palmyra, Damascus)
[Assyrian Horse Archers] Cavalry, archers, fast
[Assyrian Heavy Chariots] Chariots (four horses if possible), archers, General, Elite
[Assault Infantry] Spearmen, heavy, Elite, big square shield

Phoenicia: (Sidon to Tyre, Salamis, Carthage to Kart Hadasht, Cyrene, Curduba to Gades)
[Phoenician Sailors] Archers, Fast

I have also got a few factions I haven't gotten set up properly.
The Celtica faction, which is more or less Gaul, just more eastern, to reflect they haven't made the entire trek westwards yet.
The Nibelungen faction, more or less Germania, but more eastern and southern.
And then there is the Emirates (Arabs).

I would love to get feedback on the ideas, and get ideas for the factions themselves. Especially the more regular units.

Eastside Character
11-27-2004, 00:13
Nice idea for a mod Kraxis. I remember I once asked Gerosia whether they would make an expansion with mythological beasts and heroes. They didn't want to do that.

So I'm looking forward to see something more about this mod.

What do you think about Olimpic God unit for Greece? A guy throwing burning missiles like Zeus his thunders? That would be a cool little thing I think. ~D
The God units could be as small as possible, even a one man unit.

Regards,
EC

Kraxis
11-27-2004, 00:25
No, no mythical beasts, that includes gods.

See it this way, how would the world be if these factions existed. So in a sense it isn't mythical but rather a historian's view on them, a pragmatic view sort of.

Problem is I have no factions for the Caucasus, Russia or Spain.

I have dabbled a little with a Samnite faction in the south of Italy, but that would leave the Aenids a bit hemmed in compared to the other factions. Yet it feels strange that Sicily and southern Italy should be rebels only.

King Yngvar
11-27-2004, 01:19
Aenid Dynasty: (Rome, Ariminum perhaps cutting Umbria in two, keep southern, Capua)
[Romulans] Swordsmen, Heavy, Big round shield
[Remusans] Axemen, Heavy, Big round shield
[Noble Chariots] Chariots, Generals, Elite
[Martian Guards] Cavalry, Elite

Aeneas did not leave Troy until after it was destroyed, kind of wierd to put Rome in it.

Kraxis
11-27-2004, 13:55
Yes, I know, but as I said in my first post not all the factions are from th same time. It was a compromise to get a Roman faction in. Remember there wasn't a Rome at the time really so I had to find another name, and calling them Latin Tribes simply isn't good enough as then I would have to do the same with all kinds of tribes. Something had to made special about them.

If you notice then Albion is more or less Camelot, and the Etruscans are too early, they didn't come to Italy until about 8-700BC. But those are compromises to make the game fun. And there most certainly wasn't a Thracian faction.
If I had to follow the times completely then we would only have factions to the very east, not fun in my mind and would leave certain faction with great chances by just going "Hey guys, screw you were are going west." And who could stop them?

Kraxis
12-10-2004, 01:23
Nobody have any comments on my units or any ideas to add new ones?

Remember, no mythical beasts. This is meant to be a 'realistic' interpretation of a hypothetical situation.

Mabbott
01-24-2005, 06:46
awesome ~D

maybe you could add the norse they had alot of mythology
like skoll and hati which could be a pack of wolves
or also the fire demon Surt, that could be like a trebuchet that fired flaming missles
even grendul, like a large beserker

ShadowStriker
01-25-2005, 03:31
theres a lot of similar mods.... :balloon2:

Mabbott
01-25-2005, 03:57
theres a lot of similar mods
sorry if you weren't talking to me
but i figured you were, considering there is a viking mod under development(which i am looking forward too btw) ~:cheers:

i was thinking more of an age of mythology approach where rather than dividing all the faction into sub-factions ie:norse= norway, sweden, denmark etc, but norse, greeks, egyptians, albion, etc

like you could build a temple to one of the gods and once it got upgraded enough it would unlock a new "myth unit"

Mabbott
01-25-2005, 04:00
but norse, greeks, egyptians, albion, etc

:furious3:

but rather the norse vs greeks etc

rather*

BassV2
01-25-2005, 07:36
this mod looks great :) if you need help i'm ur man :) i have skills in photoshopping (not very good) and basic 3d modeling.

anyways:
sounds great, need a bigger unit list though...

Bwian
01-25-2005, 10:03
This is going to be interesting :)

It's the complete opposite of my Mythology Mod, but just as fascinating. I wanted to build fantastic creatures, so I am focusing on the Myth aspect.

This however, is looking at the possible / likely reality BEHIND the myth. A lot of opportunity for creativity!

Anyway...I must get back to making some more Hill Giants and some more Trolls :D

ShadowStriker
01-26-2005, 04:35
but norse is only an ancient religion

BassV2
01-26-2005, 07:03
i like the mymerdons :), i want to make some hehe,