PDA

View Full Version : Do you want new resources?

Dead Moroz
11-30-2004, 11:01
If I understand right everybody agree to add some more resources into the game. But I made this poll to be completely sure in this question.

It's not about the list of resources to be added. It will be discussed later in restricted area (of course, if the majority of us agree to make new resources).

khelvan
11-30-2004, 19:18
Yes, with the caveats being that we find a 3d modeller for quality work, and that we carefully monitor the results and, most likely, reduce income in other areas when the new resources (read: new sources of income) are added to the equation.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
11-30-2004, 21:44
Yes.

BTW; nice shave DM!!! :grin2:

Silver Rusher
11-30-2004, 21:54
I can't see why not.

Ranika
11-30-2004, 22:33
I've already stated my opinion on this before, totally agree.

Steppe Merc
11-30-2004, 23:42
Yes. I one of the many things I loved about the BKB mod is that later on he added a lot of trade goods. These included slaves (already in), and most important for me, horses. This can let the steppe peoples get more trading (since they were very big on trading, and bred some horses soley for trading), and may also evantauly be exploited to represent the ideal horse training country. Perhaps a building that can only be built in "Horse" land that gives a bonus to all horses built their?
But I'm babbling.

BTW; nice shave DM!!!
No! Short hair is evil... ~;)

Colovion
12-01-2004, 02:46
once again, Steppe speaks my mind also. It would be wonderful to have trade be a real aspect of the game and not just a money-making thing. It should be possible to stop the trade of one faction with another and it will weaken them both, not only in monetary ways but in substantial ways like not being able to build cavalry units or not being able to give their units armour because of lack of iron.

Ranika
12-01-2004, 02:49
I like the horse thing, just repeated in the resource thread, had not read this. Sorry. Either way... I'd have the horse resources mostly in the steppe, and in a few isolated regions representing where a faction's best cavalry came from, with a 'trainer' or similar structure there, that'd provide an experience bonus, allowing superior cavalrymen to come from those regions.

Dead Moroz
12-01-2004, 10:46
The question about horses is not so easy as it seems. Yes, there were a lot of horses in steppe. But in all times the majority of steppe herds consisted of small ugly shaggy horses, almost ponies ~:) . They were not as beautiful as famous modern Arabian horses, for example. But they were very enduring and reliable. And - that was also very important - unpretentious at food and maintenance. I don't think that these horses really were trade resource.

Elite horses were rare. And it's not clear where they really were from. In all times almost all elite breeds of horses were grown by settled nations. Maybe ancient nomads had their own elite horses, maybe not.

eadingas
12-01-2004, 12:03
The Berbers and Tuaregs of North Africa bred horses that were direct forefathers of the 'arabian purebred'. But I don't know anything about them trading.

Steppe Merc
12-01-2004, 21:34
They were ponies actually. But they were excellent horses, and while they were kind of shaggy and short, they certaintly did train between the tribes. And certaintly the "border" states would have had traided with steppe peoples to get their horses: Armenia, Parthia, perhaps Selcuid.
Besides, the steppe peoples horses were superior to anything anyone else had at that time. The Romans horses were jokes, and the Celtic and Germanic people had steppe like ponies as well. The Macedonians probably had similar horses to the Thracians and Illyirians, who also probably traded with the Steppe peoples. And the Persians certaintly would have used a great deal of steppe horses.

Colovion
12-01-2004, 22:21
Well the Gaulish tribes and the dominant Germans and whatnot - weren't they all migrated from teh Steppes? So they were really just bringing their STeppe horses into that area?

Steppe Merc
12-02-2004, 01:26
I really am not to sure, but I think your right. The Caucaus area (Caucasians) is I think where the Indo Europeans started out. The Celts, Germans and Scythian peoples are Indo Europeans, but I'm not to sure about the whole thing. But they are related, I do know that.

Ranika
12-02-2004, 01:34
Even if they had taken steppe horses, they would've done so thousands of years earlier, so the breeds would alter over time. So, Germanic/Gallic horses would not be similar to steppe horses, they would look different, from grooming habits, diet, etc. So, they would raise their own horses, not bring in steppe horses (except for some ponies and a as 'exotic' gifts for njobles). While they possibly originated from a similar strain, the horses would be different by 270 BC. Germans probably imported more steppe than Gauls, who possibly had some large horsebreeding operations (probably tied to Epona worship).

Urnamma
12-02-2004, 02:55
Pomeranians and German Shepherds originated from a common ancestor. Think about that and you'll have your answer. Indo-Europeans probably started out somewhere in Central Asia, btw.

Steppe Merc
12-02-2004, 23:25
Aren't the Caucaus mountains in Central Asia? I'm not sure though...

sharrukin
12-03-2004, 01:00
Aren't the Caucaus mountains in Central Asia? I'm not sure though...

Caucaus mountains are just north of Armenia. Between the Black sea and the Caspian sea.