PDA

View Full Version : Unique Units for the Romans

DemonArchangel
12-01-2004, 23:17
This is an issue that seems to be troubling me somewhat.
I mean, so far, the mighty legions of Rome seem downright well... boring?
This has to be remedied, otherwise the central focus of Rome: Total War (which is the Roman Empire) will be turned boring.

Here are some unit suggestions:

Equites Sagitarii (Post Marian): Roman Horse Archers. Historically used against the Parthians and Sassanids.

Equites Contaraiorum (Post Marian): Roman Cavalry wielding long lances and wearing heavy armor.

Palestinian Clubmen (Post Marian): Aurelian used these guys outside the timespan of RTW, but there's no WAY these guys should be left out, they look far too cool.

http://aandaminiatures.com/details.asp?code=mir16&desc=Palestinian%20Clubmen

Auxiliary Slingers (Post Marian): A good complement for the auxiliary archers. Give them staff slings to make them different.

Heavy Sword Auxilia (Post Marian): Heavy sword Auxilia. Do as you will with them.

Anti Elephant War Wagons: Basically mobile spiked barricades drawn into place by soldiers.

Property Free Legions (Pre Marius Only): In cases of desperation, men without property or slaves were recruited. Because they were used only in an emergency, they were probably alot worse than regular legions.

Arsonists (Fun unit): In a city where buildings are flammable...

Rioters (angry mob): Another "Fun" unit, good for plebian rebellions.

eadingas
12-01-2004, 23:37
I was thinking of separate 'sappers' unit. It's a real shame sometimes to need to waste your precious legions or phalanx to go underground...

Oh, and the war wagons were as silly as burning pigs - they were used once and didn't work :)

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-01-2004, 23:52
Palestinian Clubmen (Post Marian): Aurelian used these guys outside the timespan of RTW, but there's no WAY these guys should be left out, they look far too cool.

Arsonists (Fun unit): In a city where buildings are flammable...

Rioters (angry mob): Another "Fun" unit, good for plebian rebellions.
Coolness or fun has nothing to do with the EB project. We thank you for your imput, but no one-time surrealistic units will be incorporated in the MOD.

alman7272
12-02-2004, 00:06
Who'd of thunk that a game wasn't meant to be fun

PSYCHO V
12-02-2004, 00:10
"Palestinian Clubmen" !? WTF? ...

Ranika
12-02-2004, 00:11
Aymar didn't mean it was not meant to be fun. I believe he meant, fun alone does not warrant the addition of a unit. Units are to be historically correct. Historically correct units can be plenty fun. However, fun alone (coupled with laziness on the barbarians) is what made so much of the game historically inaccurate.

chemchok
I still think we should add an Atlantis faction.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
Who'd of thunk that a game wasn't meant to be fun
I meant it in a pejorative way and you know that.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-02-2004, 00:13
Aymar didn't mean it was not meant to be fun. I believe he meant, fun alone does not warrant the addition of a unit. Units are to be historically correct. Historically correct units can be plenty fun. However, fun alone (coupled with laziness on the barbarians) is what made so much of the game historically inaccurate.
Preciselly that, but I'm too tired of explaining it to so many other people so many times...

PSYCHO V
12-02-2004, 00:19
I still think we should add an Atlantis faction.

..don't forget the Greek pantheon...and the ... ~D

Steppe Merc
12-02-2004, 01:10
Romans are boring. That why they are boring in the game.

~D

sharrukin
12-02-2004, 01:34
Romans are boring. That why they are boring in the game.

~D

Romans are not boring, it's just that you have cavalry on the brain and the idea of a people relying on infantry alone strikes you as heresy.

Most of the units in the original post come from later in Roman history, not the period we are working on.

alman7272
12-02-2004, 02:14
Sorry :(

Parmenio
12-02-2004, 15:04
I wonder whether the Rome factions should be allowed to 'train' allied troops rather than auxillaries. The post-Marian troops in the game look more Early-Imperial than Late-Republican, while pre-Marian Allied-Italian troops are missed altogether.

I imagine this may have already been discussed somewhere. But should the Romans be restricted to raising Legions at their capitals PreMarian, and in the Italian Peninsula PostMarian, while allowing local allied troops (such as Gallic Cavalry or Allied Hastati) to be trained in their respective cultural centres once under Roman occupation? And indeed should this idea be extended to other factions such as the Successors and Carthagians?

PROMETHEUS
12-02-2004, 19:33
'sappers' unitno

Romans had this ability and where trained to do this , I would instead remove it from other non romans units since they didn't had such a training.....

DemonArchangel
12-02-2004, 22:14
I would suggest heavy auxiliary sword, and auxiliary slingers to be utilized as they seem historically feasible in this time period.

Also Property Free legions in the Pre-Marian era sound good too.

Arsonists/Rioters should appear as rebel and brigand units for the Romans.

Steppe Merc
12-03-2004, 02:49
Romans are not boring, it's just that you have cavalry on the brain and the idea of a people relying on infantry alone strikes you as heresy.
Exactally. ~D :charge:

Urnamma
12-03-2004, 02:52
We'll work on some new Roman units when the other factions are done. This started as a barbarian mod, dammit.

PSYCHO V
12-03-2004, 04:39
Here here... and I for one won't be too happy if we start including ahistorical "Palestinian Clubmen", "Hamas Suicidals", "Al Qaeda Fanatics" or any such tripe.

DemonArchangel
12-03-2004, 20:55
The clubmen are historical, as are fanatics in the area now known as palestine.

Ever heard of the Sicarii?

Mr Frost
12-05-2004, 11:01
Yup , it's true ; they could be found in nightclubs throughout Palistine during the period tanked up on lager and chemicals of dubious origin spoiling for a barney ! ~D

He has a good point about the slingers . Try getting them like the Archer Auxillia only using ordinary slings {making staff slings and trying to somehow doctor a way for the skeleton animation to fit would be a huge undertaking I think} . Both an early slinger {like the RTR mods created with the Funditores} and a late one are needed and should both preceed the Roman Archer types in the tech tree and build faster {the Roman archer typres should take twice as long to simulate the limited use Rome made of non-mercenary archery during the period of the game} ; perhaps be cheaper too .

PROMETHEUS
12-05-2004, 13:47
I think we should adda faction for Hebrews too , they had some special units not included ingame like....

Sicarii

Herodian guards

mounted Nabatean camelrider...

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-05-2004, 22:14
He has a good point about the slingers . Try getting them like the Archer Auxillia only using ordinary slings {making staff slings and trying to somehow doctor a way for the skeleton animation to fit would be a huge undertaking I think} . Both an early slinger {like the RTR mods created with the Funditores} and a late one are needed and should both preceed the Roman Archer types in the tech tree and build faster {the Roman archer typres should take twice as long to simulate the limited use Rome made of non-mercenary archery during the period of the game} ; perhaps be cheaper too .
Roman Archers are not in the EB MOD anymore. Rome never used archers in any significant way until later in the Imperial period. And then they were always auxilia hired from eastern provinces.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-05-2004, 22:16
Show me excerpts from historians of that age, like Polybius or Livy, and I'll consider it.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-05-2004, 22:19
I think we should adda faction for Hebrews too , they had some special units not included ingame like....

Sicarii

Herodian guards

mounted Nabatean camelrider...
Does this post has pics? I'm unable to see them...

DemonArchangel
12-10-2004, 03:27
Sicarii=Those dudes with the itty-bitty knives.
Oh, if you're talking about being totally in period, get rid of the legionaries wearing the Lorica Segmentata.

PSYCHO V
12-14-2004, 14:43

Ever heard of the Sicarii?

Yes, heard of the Sicarii..but NOT Palestinian clubmen. Palestine didn't exist in this period. If you want to call something Palestinian, you may as well add Austrian , Dutch, Turkish, Jordanian, Algerian, Moroccan, Iraqi, United Arab Emirates ...etc etc ad infinitum to unit titles.

Prom: found a pic of Republican Centurion, he's the guy in red. So you going to redo all the Republican tunics in white?

https://usera.imagecave.com/PSYCHO/scan.jpg

PROMETHEUS
12-14-2004, 17:30
That states what I supposed , Centurions used in the early time the same armour but had the greaves and the coloured shoulder pads.... But was looking better with the cuirass tough wich in some cases could be dressed even.....

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-14-2004, 17:52
That states what I supposed , Centurions used in the early time the same armour but had the greaves and the coloured shoulder pads.... But was looking better with the cuirass tough wich in some cases could be dressed even.....
Make them exactly like they were. Later Centurions can get the metal cuirass treatmement.

PROMETHEUS
12-14-2004, 18:13
Make them exactly like they were. Later Centurions can get the metal cuirass treatmement.

later centurions used lorica plumata , some mail , but mainly the the first...

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-14-2004, 18:54
later centurions used lorica plumata , some mail , but mainly the the first...
No problem. As I've said: Make them exactly like they were. The Legatus or Tribune will be the only ones having the metal cuirass.