PDA

View Full Version : Resources Poll

eadingas
12-03-2004, 23:26
Okay, now that it has been unanimously decided we want new resources, I think this poll might be a good way to choose which resources are best to add. I have listed, I hope, all propositions that have appeared so far, and some that I've invented along the way.
You can choose multiple answers, so please select those you feel most important, but you can choose all of them if you feel like it. I'm not sure what will be decided after this poll is over, it will depend on results - if some ideas will get only few voices, I suppose this will mean they go to trash...

*) - this means that a trade value is added to an already existing resource

Steppe Merc
12-03-2004, 23:44
I'm for them all except for dogs, stone, gemstones, mercury, and asphalt.
I'm espically for the horse one. :charge:

Dead Moroz
12-05-2004, 01:16
Voted for fibers, fish, gemstones, papyrus, salt, ivory, horses and medicines.

Some resources that shouldn't be added:

1. Alcohol except wine. Beer iirc was regional good in antiquity. It would be very strange if beer could be imported, for example, from Britain to Rome, 'cause Romans did not drink beer.

2. Asphalt/Bithumen. It's also regional resource. It can be used only by Romans or ancient inhabitants of Mesopotamia.

3. Granite or simply Stone. I don't think that trade of this resource was too large and had global scale.

4. Slaves. Slavery was always the result of military campaigns (of course, there was debt slavery but I don't think it could be real source of slave trade). It's well performed in RTW: you conquer the city - you have the source of slave trade. We shouldn't create constant "slaves" resource. Better to make some hardcore changes and reconstruct the MTW system of prisoners of war which can be slaves now. This will be the real simulation of slavery and one of the best features of our mod. :deal2:

Steppe Merc
12-05-2004, 01:18
I do think that it would be better if we could have POWs. I know many steppe tribes who's main source of money were inslaving their enemies or rasoming them back. This was one part that I really missed from MTW, the ransoming prisoners. But we should have the slave rescource until we get a better system, in my humble opinion.

Colovion
12-05-2004, 02:23
I only voted for teh Stone to be tradeable because I thought it might make some of the "Barbarian" tribes be able to build bigger walls or advanced roads....

chemchok
12-05-2004, 02:46
Couldn't you just assume that every province that can build a port will have fish as a tradeable resource?

Oh, and I voted for

-gemstones, livestock, papyrus, perfume, salt, elephants, and horses.

Ranika
12-05-2004, 11:20
How do we decide which resources are actually added from this list? Those that get over 10 votes or what? Something similar or no?

eadingas
12-05-2004, 11:21
Voted for fibers, fish, gemstones, papyrus, salt, ivory, horses and medicines.

Some resources that shouldn't be added:

2. Asphalt/Bithumen. It's also regional resource. It can be used only by Romans or ancient inhabitants of Mesopotamia.

Not so. Nabateans, Palestinians, Babylonians, Egyptians, and North African people, they all used and traded it. In fact, the bitumen resources should be the main resource for Arabia Deserta instead of incense, which was imported from Arabia Felix. See how often 'lakes of asphalt' appear in Herodotus and other ancient writers, whenever they get a chance to mention it. It was exported to Greece and Rome for various purposes, from building to medicine...

4. Slaves. Slavery was always the result of military campaigns (of course, there was debt slavery but I don't think it could be real source of slave trade). It's well performed in RTW: you conquer the city - you have the source of slave trade. We shouldn't create constant "slaves" resource. Better to make some hardcore changes and reconstruct the MTW system of prisoners of war which can be slaves now. This will be the real simulation of slavery and one of the best features of our mod. :deal2:

I was thinking mainly of the 'outskirt' regions of the map, where other people than in-game factions wage wars and provide slaves: Sahara, northern and eastern border provinces. There were slave routes and caravans going from sub-sahara north to the 'map world' in ancient days that gave enough profit to support great kingdoms of Black Africa.

Ranika
12-05-2004, 11:27
I was actually thinking of the slave resource more as places where slaves were imported and exported from, not necessarily a single surplus of slaves in a region, but a region which transports a great deal of slaves to other markets, as well as sells many slaves which are imported to that place, which would bring money into that region.

eadingas
12-05-2004, 11:27
How do we decide which resources are actually added from this list? Those that get over 10 votes or what? Something similar or no?

I was kinda going to wait and see how it all works out :) I think depending on how many votes will be in the end, either those that get less than 5 or less than 10 will have to go...

Silver Rusher
12-05-2004, 11:42
I vote alcohol fish livestock salt

Ranika
12-05-2004, 11:42
Sounds good then, was a bit confused since the beginning of the poll just how that was supposed to work out, since no hard numbers for what was to be added were offered.

eadingas
12-06-2004, 12:44
Shall we give it a wrap, now? I'd say we add all resources that went above 5 votes - which means no dogs, asphalt, granite and mercury (shucks, I really liked the mercury and asphalt ideas...) Version two - 10 or above - makes: fish, gemstones, livestock, salt, ivory, and horses... unless somebody quickly votes for those four that have 9 points :)