PDA

View Full Version : Desync game getting back to sync?

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
12-23-2004, 00:17
With that title, I am pretty sure we got a new potential urban legend going ~:)

I played a 1v1 game yesterday with a famous org patron on gamespy.

The game went well, it was Roman vs Seleucid, 10 000/ team, huge units. Armies were fair and fun, not the all cavalry and archer kind one sees so often.

So we play the game, it was a close battles, the Greek won, although the Romans score 2800 kills and the Greek only 2100.

As usual, and true to the way of the freedom fighters ~D we chat for half an hour about how the game went what was good and bad.

Then it became obvious that although we had the same results (same victorious side, same kills), some of the moves, or our recollection of the moves were different. We saved our replays on both side.

My opponent replay was matching my story and the overall result.
My replay was matching part of my opponent story, but neither my opponent story for the end game, nor my story for the end game.

So we had basically three games in one:

1/ my recollection and my opponent replay: same kills, same victorious side, same moves, same events happening.
2/ my opponent recollection: same kills as above, same victorious side, DIFFERENT moves
3/ my replay: everything is different, up to a point events are matching my opponent recollection, but then the end is different of my opponent recollection.

Of course, I do question my opponent sanity, my opponent poor memory
and frequen lapse of reason ~D

Still it looks like my opponent played my replay version of the game up to a point, then came back to the game I was actually playing (and that my opponent replay saved), so we resynced in the end game (same kills, same results).

I was aware of desynched games, I was not aware of resynched games.

Louis,

Puzz3D
12-23-2004, 18:05
Louis,

The game didn't resync. What happened is that your replay was saved on your opponet's machine and his replay to yours, but his memory of 'his' battle is faulty as you say.

The desync does open up new possibilities for discussion such as: Is playing against a desyned human player better than playing against the AI? Does it matter if elephants desync when they are running amok? In a shootout, does it really make a difference which men in the unit die as long as the same number of men in the unit die on each machine?