PDA

View Full Version : generals... or gods?

master of the puppets
12-26-2004, 01:39
i once had a faction leader his name was "Antaganos of Sparta" i had only been playing as greece for about 50 years and i was in a brutal war with egypt. i had a brilliant idea, to one of my prized young generals i gave a full stack of soldiers, no spartan hoplites only armored, 2 archers, and 5 units of greek cavalry. i marched them onto a boat and sailed it down to the coast of libya i disembarked them and struck thebes in upper egypt i took it with a heroic victory. for the next fifty years antaganos bacame my favorite guy ever. in over 30 seiges (i counted) he defended thebes he bacame greater and greater. the following is the tale of taking thebes.

master of the puppets
12-26-2004, 02:33
ok ok ok im back (anyone care...thought not) well so antaganos of sparta was so cool in one battle he came face to face with the enemy pharoh both were stopped in the thick of battle it was only antaganos and the pharoh exchanging blows :duel: clink clang parry varios insults and the pharoh goes down. antaganos and his men raise there spears and cheer them the second wave of chariots hit all of antaganos's bodyguards are killed so its just him and three remaining chariots in the middle of the enemy city, all his men halfway across the city in the heat of battle. the chariots charge antagonos rallies (i did that merely for theatrical appearances) and made him charge he makes contact with one chariot it falls to pieces he does an about faceb and slashes another with a spray of imaginary blood they go down. the last one roughts i tell antagonos to get him long story short, he did. in panic i tell him to charge back to group of my hoplites who are close by while he is running to them there hit a unit of desert axemen and them my lone general leads a full cavalry charge into there backs. pretty soon that unit is defeated and the battle won but god damn he was spectacular.

master of the puppets
12-26-2004, 02:57
in one of the many many sieges they layed seige with a smaller force but there was a larger force to come and help them. so before reinforcements came i attacked so i send my men out en masse to crush them then i see the onajer all my men had marched forward and antagonos was standing in the back quordinating i only saw the onajer way off to the fl;anjk when it threw a flaming pot at him. it killed half his bodyguards including the one directly next to him so i was pissed and scared so i charged my general and what was left of his men and slaughtered the onajers. in a later battle antagonos is sitting in his city and an ononjer knocks down a wall. then i send out my cavalry and hoplites kill all of THOSE egyptians but with that helpful little onajer at the age of 50 something antagonos was able to end his fighting career. from then on all i did was put hoplites in front of that hole and never fixed it. whenever they attacked even if they had seige technology they would abondon it and run into the breech in the wall goring themselves on the waiting pikes. from then on antagonos just sat behind the wall and ran out to kill routed enemies or onajers. one cool thing is that he had one trait that was "conquerer" and its description read "kill one man and your a murderer, kill ten your a warrior, kill a hundred your a hero, kill a thousand and your a conquerer"

you guys got any awsome generals you would like to mention feel free to

soibean
12-26-2004, 04:38
My most famous guy was the starting Greek general on Sicily. This guy had to put up with atleast 30 sieges, just like yourself, and for the most part he held off everything with his starting forces of militia hoplites, peltasts (or whatever they're javelin guys are I forget its been awhile), and the archers.
Then once he was upgraded... oh baby it was on.
You have NO idea how satisfying it is to line your walls with archers and armored hoplites and watch all siege equipment become cut down by wave after wave of arrows... and then if one or two groups did reach my walls they'd be over run by armored hoplites before they could regroup
when I finally decided it was time to take sicily my general was expert everything, had the name Infantry commander ( I love that nickname), and all the virtues that youd want your general to have... I forget the number of stars so you'll have to forgive me
So I march the guy out of his city and besiege the city to the north of me, and one turn in he dies...
yea
I hate when that happens

Sam Adams
12-26-2004, 08:27
ive learned never to send an armies leader into the city center durring a siege assault. mine almost always die if I do.

Besieger
12-26-2004, 09:22
i prefer either put my general together with a couple of calvary units to flank to enemies or juz simply station him near the gate where e battle will b most intense....this will at least boost up e morale of e army with his presence.... :charge:

King_Etzel
12-26-2004, 09:58
I have noticed that it seems that the maximum number of stars or laurels in the details scroll is 10 but does the extra stars/laurels count?

Ar7
12-26-2004, 13:00
Right now my faction leader is a walking god! Amulius the Mighty holds the office of Pontifex Maximus, has a command of 10 and an influence of 10. There is nobody who can oppose his veteran legion and his standing among Romans. Children listen to stories about his conquest of Greece and the destruction of the mighty Macedon empire. Unfortunatly he is already 60 and living his last years in luxury that is the new capitol of the Brutii familiy - Athens.

master of the puppets
12-26-2004, 23:57
well i just read this checked into my saved game. antaganos has ten luarels ten stars and ten scrolls. in thebes the people loved him unfortunatly a week ago he died of old age, (i started this thread in his honor) but i saved just before his death (lucky huh?) his retinue has the guy who wrote "jason and the argonaughts" he had homer i mean thee homer author of the "oddesey" he had TWO high priests of ares. he had five traits that made him stronger on the battle field (confident attacker, swordsman, likes blood, no fear, legendary)
antagonops is the most kickass (sorry bought the swear) guy i have ever seen. well back to the topic after his death thebes which was once fanaticly loyal rebeled. i quickly recaptured it from the egyptians but it was still in disarray. the egyptians led ANOTHER siege which they broke off at turn 3 ~:confused: then i realized that memphis had only two units in it i ammased as large an army as i could spare from thebes (5) and attacked i lost 3 of those units, they had 2 units of archer chariots (hate those) and i had no cavalry. well i took memphis so now i owned thebes memphis and every town in africa up until carthage which was under attack (under scipii rule). while my turkish campaign was on the defensive from large sellucid armies. my whole empire seemed to mourn his loss and i was at a standstill.

th3freakie
12-27-2004, 23:17
Lucky yous...

I'm playing the Brutii on my 2nd campaign and every family member just sucks, mostly because they're so extravagant.

600k money by midgame does that...

And massive armies with all citys on low tax and daily fun don't seem to make a negative income...

of course, if I hadn't started on "normal" army size, things could be diferent...

master of the puppets
12-28-2004, 05:02
if there all extravagant get them out of the cities and put them on campaign. a little blood and a few battles usually gives any general a battle star and a little bit of worth

Somebody Else
12-28-2004, 07:22
After taking every single Roman town, bar three, Hasdrubal the Conqueror hit the age of 62, and kicked the bucket. Having completed what his father Hanno started, by wiping out the last vestiges of Rome - a small, elite army - no longer affiliated with any faction, but with two great leaders - previous faction leader and faction heir to the Senate itself.
His loyal armies of Iberian light infantry and Round Shield light cavalry were no match for the Roman lines, yet the tactical genius of Hasdrubal won through - an expert with cavalry, well capable of pulling off an ambush and undefeatable in defence. A sole unit of elephants, provided the needed force to strike quickly at the Roman towns, catching their field armies off guard.

All this on VH/VH as well as the RTR 4.0 mod. I was quite pleased with myself.

Arrowhead
12-28-2004, 13:52
It was a hilly custom battle with no wind and a wooden walled fort bang in the middle of the terrain. I was defending (playing as gauls) and lined up two units of elite forester warbands with 3 silver chevrons each,silver defence and bronze attack outside the walls with one unit of warhounds and more foresters behind the walls with a group of druids and two groups of chosen swordsmen.

At the other entrances there were similar troops.Slightly behind the main line in my fort was my general, totally untried.The enemy rolled up, mainly consisting of legionary cohorts and roman cavalry but one unit of preatorians.

They got within range of my archers outside the fort then 23 people died on first volley! ~:eek: ~:eek: ~:eek:
I let slip the Hounds of War and sent them charging into the roman lines with thier handlers behind them. :charge:

Then the roman infantry, their ranks thinned, came marching up to the centre gate killed my Foresters :sad2: But not without a fight :duel: Sorry, but to be continued...

You have NO idea how satisfying it is to line your walls with archers and armored hoplites and watch all siege equipment become cut down by wave after wave of arrows...

~:cheers: yes I do.

Arrowhead
12-28-2004, 20:31
I'm back!!! I hope you missed me! I bet you did (not) ~:eek:

Where was I... oh yes, my foresters moved backwards behind my chosen swordsmen and continued firing, The Romans broke down the gate with a battering ram and then a period of fierce hand to hand fighting ensued :duel: in which I just stared at the screen ~:handball:.
Then came a crash and the romans smashed into my swordsmens flank starting a rout.
WHAT TH...!? Then I realised. The roman's battering ram smashed a hole in a wall beside my swordsmen allowing romans to pour in. I quickly sent my general and my foresters up to wait for reinforcements, leaving my druids to fight a hopeless battle beside the square.
I sent the swordsmen from the other gates but when I come to my left entrance, roman cavalry and men were destroying the remnants of my small band of warriors. :furious3:. I then sent for all the other foresters to come to the square. So five units of forester warbands,five units of swordsmen including a salvaged group of half-strength swordsmen, and a general were surrounded by hundreds, the foresters firing steadily, and the general urging his troops to fight on. It was like something out of a movie.My swordmen were cut down, and I was forced to retreat into the square. :help: I knew I had to make one last try.The foresters drew their swords and charged with the general desperately. The general cut a swath through the roman army routing FOUR units and killing the opposing general.The salvaged group of swordsmen who I had kept back gave a warcry and smashed into the wavering lines of the roman troops. It was a incredible sight to see. An army so big routed in a few seconds. Of course I had jumped out of my chair doing a dance of victory before I noticed theremaining group of roman cavalry still standing in the confusion. They noticed my general at the same time I did. The general,who had lost 3 bodyguards,was in full charge and I sent them charging toward the roman cavalry, thinking that I would slaughter them while they were standing still but, in my moment of glee I forgot they could charge as well.The two cavalry units clashed and one of them broke and ran. It was the roman cavalry. What a guy that general was.

Dark_Magician
12-29-2004, 09:43
WHAT TH...!? Then I realised. The roman's battering ram smashed a hole in a wall beside my swordsmen allowing romans to pour in. I quickly sent my general and my foresters up to wait for reinforcements, leaving my druids to fight a hopeless battle beside the square.

Man, here I thought you are surely done..

My swordmen were cut down, and I was forced to retreat into the square. I knew I had to make one last try.The foresters drew their swords and charged with the general desperately.

I had to fight tears reading this.

The salvaged group of swordsmen who I had kept back gave a warcry and smashed into the wavering lines of the roman troops.

My goodness, this was close!

An army so big routed in a few seconds.

I finally was able to breath out.

Arrowhead
12-29-2004, 18:41
Man, here I thought you are surely done..

I had to fight tears reading this.

My goodness, this was close!

I finally was able to breath out.
In order, my replies are:

So did I! :sick:

I was feeling pretty shaky about the loss of my faithful foresters. ~:mecry:

It certainly was. :sweatdrop:

~;)

The Stranger
01-16-2005, 01:00
man had so many of famous generals iwith the gauls i dont no where to begin
but every one that was on the bridge those men were defending became gold chevron generals with almost every possible war trait possible
man it was so spectecular i even gave the bridge a name

SKULL BRIDGE

23 HEROIC VICTORIES
39 VICTORIES

over 70,000 dead roman soldiers
just between 5000-15000 dead brave gallic warriors

in just 60 years
what about that

TinCow
01-16-2005, 02:16
I had one fellow while playins as Scipii that single handedly pushed back the Egyptian hordes in North Africa. In the Libyan desert, he repeatedly defeated massive stacks of Egyptians and notched up a ridiculous number of V&Vs. He actually went through FIVE name changes within the span of 10 turns. Four of those names were marked with great battle markers. It was interesting seeing four of his names in the desert one after the other in a small cluster.