PDA

View Full Version : A question on unit size

th3freakie
12-27-2004, 03:50
keeping it simple and straightforward - the engine of RTW is supposed to support 10k units (individuals) n the field right?
And the pics we see in the official site show really big units (groups of men)...

Then... why can't I build a unit with more then 41 guys in it, and consequently can consider myself lucky if 5 full-banner armies fighting means 2.5k men?

~:confused:

before I'm flamed - yes, I did search for this in the stickies. ~;)

son of spam
12-27-2004, 04:32
You have to adjust it in the options menu. Change the unit scale from "normal" to "huge" for bigger units.

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
12-27-2004, 09:14
And campaign games are unlikely to result in that kind of huge clashes.

To see 10 000 soldiers, try to play a custom battle with 5 AI players and huge size unit.

Good luck... I can get 9000 with some loss in framerate but stil bearable. Beyond that it's a slide show for me.

Louis,

KiOwA
12-27-2004, 10:33
It's somewhat related to the campaign AI, in that the computer does a poor job or massing its armies, instead preferring to trickle small bands at you. Sometimes I really miss the epic battles of MTW, where a single battle between several thousands on either side could take hours.

th3freakie
12-27-2004, 22:52
Thanks!

I thouhgt that was only a graph thing...

Oaty
12-28-2004, 22:50
Well to be more precise you will find it under advanced settings in the graphics menu, if you have'nt found it already.

As far as max SUPPORTED total troop count I'm guessing that would be 2400 men. Largest unit on normal troop size 60-62 men wich allows up to 1200 me per army. Using large or huge units would be a luxury and not supported unless it's found to be a problem on the programming side.

Now I can get 10,000 non-missile troops on a 1.49 GHZ processor in a battle with minor lag. Some other units will also cause too much lag for 10,000 men such as anything using phalanx. If I go for a mixed army I ca'nt go over 6000 troops.

Pericles
12-28-2004, 22:52
It's not the size of the unit that matters; it's what you do with it that counts. ~D

Oaty
12-28-2004, 23:23
It's not the size of the unit that matters; it's what you do with it that counts. ~D

So wich is better amassing a large army and penetrate deep into enemy territory or keep on sending in waves and slowly work your way deep into enemy territory