PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Method to kill everyone!

Arrowhead
12-27-2004, 19:57
What is everyone's favorite unit and why.

BTW, Siris your Spartan Hoplites would not stand against my 4/6 archer army! :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer:

ShadesPanther
12-27-2004, 20:25
Poeni infantry

Can fight as a phalanx or as a legionary type stance if needed (usually on flanks as Iberian infantry just don't cut it)

Arrowhead
12-27-2004, 20:39
Sorry forgot to mention. Also post tactics.

Akka
12-27-2004, 21:37
Armoured hoplites. Front meat-grinding wall of spears.

They look good, phalanx formation looks powerful, a wall of lance looks impassable, and they fight with style.

I suppose I'm shallow ^^

Arrowhead
12-27-2004, 21:55
They look good, phalanx formation looks powerful, a wall of lance looks impassable, and they fight with style.
They look cool, looks powerful, and fighting with style?

They annoy me because I can't slaughter them with arrows. :furious3: :help: :thinking: But I can slaughter them with cavalry :idea: :wiseguy: :charge: :smash: :beam: ~:cheers:

Proletariat
12-27-2004, 22:09
They annoy me because I can't slaughter them with arrows. :furious3: :help: :thinking: But I can slaughter them with cavalry :idea: :wiseguy: :charge: :smash: :beam: ~:cheers:

...I'm not sure it's supposed to work like that...

Baiae
12-27-2004, 22:23
Don't you hate it when people use too many smilies?

LordKhaine
12-27-2004, 22:55

Spear walls may be impressive against horse, but in RTW it's an easy matter to beat them with cavalry. Flanking is an obvious one, and leaping over the spear points appears to be another. And if that fails just wait until the phalanx moves an inch, when half the guys will lift their spears up letting your cavalry charge in.

But at least Armoured hoplites are pretty arrow proof, so they're fairly immune to the main phalanx enemy.

Proletariat
12-27-2004, 23:13
I only remarked because cavalry seems an odd 'go to' device against phalanx units, not that it was impossible. Maybe I read too much into it.

Count Belisarius
12-27-2004, 23:29
Cataphracts: immune (practically) to arrows, too fast for skirmishers, and death to non-phalanx units. CRASH!!!!!!

Uesugi Kenshin
12-28-2004, 04:31
Against archers and cav phalanxe box or other shape and by the way my spartans can take archer fire any day. and if they break the line hit em with cavalry and infantry stashed inside the formation. Or for a double header put archers inside and have them shoot at long range targets to avoid FF. great to see the pride of rome bashing against my formation whilst only a few of my men get shot in the back!

P.S. you can also put a box inside a box inside a box and put troops at corners!

Arrowhead
12-28-2004, 11:24
Don't you just hate it when somebody uses too many smilies

(off topic) Sorry

(on topic) I meant flanking :charge:

They are faster than skirmishers

I think they are I full charge but not while walking :charge:

leaping over spear points

That is not historically accurate

P.S: Can somebody find that tread that talks about leaping over spear points

Somebody Else
12-28-2004, 11:41
Any siege equipment for me - sieges are my thing really - this game revolves around them as far as I'm concerned - avoiding field battles and going for the cities is pretty much my strategy. So siege towers (even the silly overpowered ones), onagers - great in field battles too, the lowly battering ram is useful... the ultimate siege device (especially for wooden walled settlements) is the elephant - smashes open gates, knocks down walls, and in narrow streets? Nasty, especially with cavalry coming down the other way.

Mikeus Caesar
12-28-2004, 19:38
I love cataphracts, because they look like robots!!! But i like spartans even more, because they are unstoppably good!!

mfberg
12-28-2004, 20:07
Egyptian bowmen, 1.5x the unit size of normal archers.

mfberg

Arrowhead
12-28-2004, 20:35
I play with Baiae's mod witch has normal size pharoah's bowmen.

The Stranger
01-07-2005, 05:21
i would go forr the foresters or the urban cohorts

EGO
01-07-2005, 06:05
I like Wardogs..... lots and lots of Wardogs. Upgraded gold Wardogs are even better. The tactic I use is to use one unit of Wardogs in a straight frontal assault and then use another set on the flank. Even heavly armoured units don't like it too much.

Haven't tried it against elephants yet. Hmmmmm... ~:) That should be interesting.

derF
01-07-2005, 11:57
I only remarked because cavalry seems an odd 'go to' device against phalanx units, not that it was impossible. Maybe I read too much into it.

When you consider that the Phalanx is especially effective against cavilry it does seem odd. But the Caviltry IS the best weapon against phalanx.

The phalanx weaknesses is that it has poor mobility and that its sides are rear are exceptionally weak. Solution: Cavilry rear/side charge.

:rtwyes:

rebelscum
01-07-2005, 14:10
Oh I see, a favorite unit post disguised as a favorite method to kill everyone post. Very sneaky. I was going to say my favorite method to kill everyone is by using the seige (bug) method. Wait for stupid romans to attack en force your walled city. Just make sure you have enough archers . As soon as they seige, attack them on strat map, this means they haven't got any seige equipment ready! In the battle they usually rush the walls, sit back and watch your archers butcher them. This is really quite lame and I hope they fix it in the patch, mainly because I cannot stop myself doing it! Why doesn't the AI just sit out of range and wait for you to leave the castle. Then if any archer units appear, charge them down with light cav and rush back out again.

Arrowhead
01-07-2005, 18:12
Oh I see, a favorite unit post disguised as a favorite method to kill everyone post. Very sneaky. I was going to say my favorite method to kill everyone is by using the seige (bug) method. Wait for stupid romans to attack en force your walled city. Just make sure you have enough archers . As soon as they seige, attack them on strat map, this means they haven't got any seige equipment ready! In the battle they usually rush the walls, sit back and watch your archers butcher them. This is really quite lame and I hope they fix it in the patch, mainly because I cannot stop myself doing it! Why doesn't the AI just sit out of range and wait for you to leave the castle. Then if any archer units appear, charge them down with light cav and rush back out again.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha HA! Got you, rebelscum! :laugh4:

doc_bean
01-07-2005, 19:32

They don't always do this, usually they'll do it the first time, when their numbers are far higher, but will sit back if you sally again (on the same turn).

I did have one very amusing moment were I put archers on the walls and the enemy (Gaul I think) didn't charge, I just let one unit of town watch go outside the gate. They rushed towards them, I quickly let them back in, closed the gates on time and watched the slaughter :duel: