PDA

View Full Version : How to ambush

BabylonTW
12-27-2004, 21:15
i ve been tring to ambush for ever how do u guys ambush?

Ar7
12-27-2004, 21:50
I have been lucky enough once. I was defending against the Gauls, my army was two times smaller, but the terrain was perfect for a massacre. I placed my men on a flat piece of land right between two huge forests. The infrantry line was holding their position between these forests and a unit of equites was in each part of the woods. As soon as the gauls made initial contact the cavalry came :charge: and the Gauls started to route asap :surrender: This battle ended with myself suffering 30 losses and the Gauls loosing around 1200 men :skull:, considering that my starting army was around 600 against 1300 it was a perfect victory.

So I guess it all comes down to luck, whether you get that perfect terrain or not.

Basileus
12-27-2004, 23:30
Ive had a few, as long as theres no roads present its possible to but you still need to be lucky heh

anti_strunt
12-28-2004, 00:01
I have been lucky enough once. I was defending against the Gauls, my army was two times smaller, but the terrain was perfect for a massacre. I placed my men on a flat piece of land right between two huge forests. The infrantry line was holding their position between these forests and a unit of equites was in each part of the woods. As soon as the gauls made initial contact the cavalry came :charge: and the Gauls started to route asap :surrender: This battle ended with myself suffering 30 losses and the Gauls loosing around 1200 men :skull:, considering that my starting army was around 600 against 1300 it was a perfect victory.

So I guess it all comes down to luck, whether you get that perfect terrain or not.

Cool, but I think he was talking about strategical ambushes (which are supposed to be like the Teutoburger Wald historical scenario), not just tactical ambushes. Myself I have never been able to ambush an AI army on the campaign map, nor have I ever been ambushed, which is a shame since it sounds like so much fun!

Uesugi Kenshin
12-28-2004, 04:25
I have ambushed once and been ambushed once, both times to no consequence because the ambushes were discovered in time and I got time to set up and so did the comp. But on the tactical map the best way to ambush is to have a strong line, (preferably phalanx troops) take the initial charge and then flank with heavy cavalry. The Seluecids are perfect because if you can have silver shield pikes backed by silver shield legionnaries and then charge with companions you can rout the enemy no matter the terrain.

master of the puppets
12-28-2004, 05:14
i got an ambush off once by pure luck. i was germans and had conquered all the land from germany to the italian peninsula. i had the peninsula in a choke hold i had all the bordering settlements a few forts and roving armies. well some julii units try to move north by mere chance they pass and army of mine which by mere chance had stopped in a forest and was ready to ambush. it was a unit of 3 julii early legion cohorts, i had 6 units of warband and one cavalry. well when i saw the area in which i could position troops i was delighted. almost all around well it wasnt much of a battle (obviosly) i quickly killed um and it was ...uh...cool.

soibean
12-28-2004, 05:31
the only time I really was ever ambushed was when I take over Kyodona(sp?) the island to the south of Greece... The rebel army is ready to ambush and if you land to the west of the city I think they attack you automatically. I could be wrong but thats the only time in the game when Ive been ambushed.

nokhor
12-28-2004, 16:00
if you've never seen an ambush, and would like to do one just to see what its like, start as carthage, and move your army thats in the middle of sicily to the trees in the north of that island between lilybaeum and the roman territory of messana. within the first 10 turns or so, a roman stack will eventually move next to you and you'll ambush it.

interestingly enough, those trees disappeared later on in the campaign i was playing. did not realize that the campaign map actually changes over time, until then. have no idea what caused it to change though, whether it was improvments i had made in a nearby city or an eruption of the volcano or just a bug.