PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Invictus Thrax
12-28-2004, 00:11
Yo all,

Say you're the Romans, (any house), and were facing a huge wall ofPikemen in Phalanx formation with archers behind and infantry behind them. What the hell am I meant to do? This is where i get massacred, I panic and send my men to attack all at once, and lose. I try sending infantry up, they either get mowed down by the cavalry on the flanks, or they are caught up in the spears. WHAT THE HELL!?!?!? Stuck, death, massacre, anger. ~;) Please help.

~ ~ ~ Invictus Thrax

AquaLurker
12-28-2004, 10:38
I think I had faced the same situation against some guy twice using Germanian and Gauls couldn't remember his name right now. He is really good with phalanx maneuvers, even with fast and hard hitting infantrys units, I struggle to get his flanks and rear. Lost both game but it was fun ~;).

I guess you cannot engage their front but and throw pilum at them when they are in range and harrass the flanks with fast infantry skimishers and cavalry... ~:handball:

Aelwyn
12-28-2004, 19:22
You have to win a flank. If you concentrate your units on one flank, and your opponent has a lot of units on the other side they're not using, then you have the advantage. I'm not saying bunch all your units up, and attack 1-2 units with 20. But get around one flank, and attack the flank units from multiple sides, then when they route follow along the line and do the same thing.

AquaLurker
12-30-2004, 03:00
Hi some question from a newbie here. :help:

:book: When you create your armies for multi-players games, do you upgrade your units?

What are the most important upgrades and how each upgrades actually affect your unit performance on the battle field?

Please help me out here cos I am really confused. :dizzy2:

CBR
12-30-2004, 03:13
That does depend on how much money you have. But generally its better to buy the best units first and only then worry about upgrades.

The experience upgrade gives +1 attack/defense to a unit as well as increase its morale. And adds to missile attack too.

Weapon upgrade gives +1 attack and also gives missile units higher attack.

Armour upgrade gives +1 armour (which adds to defense too) so it does make the unit better versus missile.

Im pretty sure there is some bug with the armour and weapon upgrade so they actually give twice as much as they are supposed to. So until thats fixed in a patch it might be the best to get just weapon and armour upgrades if you have money to spare.

CBR

Shocka
12-30-2004, 03:22
Hail CBR of Mizus. How you doin, this is Daman, now SilentShocKa. It's good to see a familiar name around here. Here is our new site if you would like to poke around Silent Assassins (www.team-sa.org)

CBR
12-30-2004, 03:41
Hi Daman. Not doing much really except some Samurai Wars for VI ~:)

CBR

AquaLurker
12-30-2004, 04:26
Thanks CBR, really appreciate your help. ~:)

Ok I guess that experience upgrades are more important. I wonder how many upgrades players usually give to their units in 12.5 and 10k games. I had some experience where my allies had more troops than me, I think the reason is he didn't really max up his upgrades but they are more resilent in combat while mine seems to route quite easily compared to his...this is really puzzling. ~:confused: I think I will try it out again later. (both of us using roman armies)

So if I give my archer weapon upgrades, will it make their arrows more powerful or will the upgrades just make my archers better in melee? :duel:

CBR
12-30-2004, 04:32
No problem ~:)

A weapon upgrade will make an archer better and same thing with experience.

If I play a 10k battle I wont buy any upgrades and I would say the same with 12.5K. It depends on what faction of course as some barbarian factions might not have good/expensive units enough to spend all the money on.

Units like Urban Cohorts, Praetorian cavalry or Cataphracts is a quick way of spending all the money heh

CBR

AquaLurker
12-31-2004, 06:26
Once again, thanks CBR. ~:)

I realise how effective and deadly archers can be with the appropriate upgrades. Lots of archers can really destroy barbarians armies quite easily. ~:eek:

Aelwyn
12-31-2004, 09:38
Upgrades with factions like the Romans can be almost not at all necessary. Even if you have 15k, you can get a Roman army that is very strong with almost no upgrades. The army I'm talking about is:

5 Praetorian Cavs
5 Urban Cohorts
5 Praetorian Cohorts
5 Archer Auxilia

You can upgrade just a bit, iirc. I usually give my first 3 Prae cavs 1 weapon upgrade, and I think thats it. Thats a strong army imo, even with almost no upgrades. There are some factions that can't even compete with armies like this (little upgrades) while having many many upgrades of their own. The Thracians are one example. Certain units, even when upgraded and very much more expensive, can't compete with units that aren't upgraded at all. Strange system. :dizzy2:

CBR
12-31-2004, 13:24
Certain units, even when upgraded and very much more expensive, can't compete with units that aren't upgraded at all. Strange system. :dizzy2:

No more strange than MTW really. Upgrades are more expensive than just buying a better quality unit and lots of units were not worth to buy. For STW/MI the upgrades were too cheap and caused problems like the super ashigaru.

Thats why I prefer to play at lower money levels of less than 10k as you are forced to buy some of the lesser units as well as giving the weaker factions a chance too.

But from what I can see so far it seems the elite units are a tad too cheap: From Hastati to Principes you get 2 extra combat points and pay 50 denarii while Praetorian cohort to Urban is same price difference but Urbans are 3 combat points more as well as +2 morale and 2 better missile attack. That just doesnt sound right.

CBR