PDA

View Full Version : Comp not attacking?

Uesugi Kenshin
12-28-2004, 04:50
I just played two very similar battles. In each the enemy was the Britons I was Greece in each I had two hoplite units. The enemy had 1 warband in one and one group of swordsmen in the other. In both they refused to assault my line and instead stood like 20 feet away just staring at me. Eventually I moved and engaged them but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I want the comp to send the unwashed barbarians against my line if they attack me, not stare across the road and moon me!

Ar7
12-28-2004, 11:50
I had a similary weird battle once, two equal armies, me and the Macedon, met. First we both walked around the map until finally setting up our battle lines against each other. Then the Macedons send forth one unit of lancers, they get slaughtered, and the rest of their army just turns around and begins to walk away. Naturally my equites follow them and kill them off one by one....I have no idea why decided to quit it, my guess is the AI just does such weird things froom time to time.

Spino
12-28-2004, 18:35
It happens ALOT. It's especially frustrating when those units are the same types as the ones you mentioned; possessing the 'Impetuous' variable and a morale/stat boosting special ability such as 'Warcry' and yet they still stand around as if they're waiting for a bus or someone to kick them in the pants so they will attack. When they pull that indecisive crap in front of your main battle line they often get nailed by retreating skirmisher units who have now taken up new positions behind your infantry or worse, any pilum armed troops within range. You wind up just sitting there and yelling at them for not attacking! This isn't new to the TW series though. I recall the AI doing the same sort of thing in Medieval but with less frequency. And at least in Medieval the AI would attempt to march and countermarch its entire army to gain a superior angle on one of your flanks while deploying its cavalry in wide sweeps to further improve its position. I could also swear that in Medieval 'Impetuous' units were far more impetuous than they are in Rome.

What's even more frustrating is when non-light/skirmishing infantry units (especially the phalanx variety) become obsessed with splintering off and chasing down your light troops and cavalry and completely ignore your main line of infantry. They usually never catch who they're chasing and ultimately hurt their army's overall chances of success.

The_678
12-28-2004, 21:42
The funest thing I've seen like this is once I had an elite pre-marius 20 man roman army and was fighting some crappy army (forget who or what only about 5 units) they formed up their defence on a very steep hill. I set my battlelines grouped and marched towards them. Once I got close they marched away. I thought they just wanted a new position but they actaully just marched off the battlemap. It seemed like they just saw my army and said "F**k this, we're outta here!" I just thought that was really cool.

Oaty
12-28-2004, 23:19
I do'nt mind it when it's melee Vs melee as much but the A.I. should charge in most cases for the bonuses. Although when I have archers the comp should do a quick calculation...... ok we just got nailed by a volley...... do we have archers/slingers to return the favour.......If no charge home.

Ar7
12-29-2004, 12:26
Another fun thing the AI does is walk up towards my line while getting shot by archers, then they stop while getting shot by archers....then they stand while getting shot by archers....then they try to reform their line once again getting shot at by archers.....and then they route and run away, you guessed it, once again getting shot in the back by archers.

Uesugi Kenshin
12-30-2004, 18:08
The strangest part about what happened to me was my hoplites were set up on one side of a road and the enemy walked to the other side so my pikes were reaching halfway out into the middle of the road and nobody was doing anything. Just standing on both sides of the road looking across at the enemy...

Spino
12-31-2004, 22:47
The funest thing I've seen like this is once I had an elite pre-marius 20 man roman army and was fighting some crappy army (forget who or what only about 5 units) they formed up their defence on a very steep hill. I set my battlelines grouped and marched towards them. Once I got close they marched away. I thought they just wanted a new position but they actaully just marched off the battlemap. It seemed like they just saw my army and said "F**k this, we're outta here!" I just thought that was really cool.

Yes, I will admit that the AI's decision making process regarding when to fight or take flight is a welcome addition to RTW. The only problem is that many of these retreating units marching off the field are alarmingly vulnerable to cavalry charges (provided you can reach them in time). Since fighting retreats seem a little out of the question I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the AI if it was programmed to run like hell as soon as its units get within bowshot of the red border line!

Uesugi Kenshin
01-03-2005, 04:20
That would be nice.
Come men walk calmy along, Billy test our range! Ah Ha the magical red border is close enough, RUN LIKE HELL MEN< IF YOU WANT TO LIVE RUN!!!