PDA

View Full Version : Comment on EB and a question.

lt1956
12-28-2004, 08:12
First off the comment.

I would like to say that your community MOD is impressive! I really think you guys are going to put to shame CA. lol well atleast its designers, skinners, modelers. lol

Some of what I read and seen is amazing. I just wanted to let you guys know that I think your work so far is great and cannot wait to see the results.

Now the question. On the terrain modifiers in the units file for snow, forest etc. Are those modifiers for points for defense or attack? and does it equal 1 point or is it a percentage?

Example would be a -6 in forest would minus 6 points in attack or defense in forest or 60% etc.?

Thanks,

Lt

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-28-2004, 18:50
I'm glad that your MOD is apreciated and praised by such comments. :bow:

As for you question regarding terrain modifiers, in my own experience, it concerns attack (first weapon stat) and defensive skill (second defense stat). If you give a terrain modifier bonus of +1 to a unit, in a particular terrain, that unit will have +1 attack and +1 defensive skill if fighting in that terrain.

lt1956
12-29-2004, 10:36
Thank you ~:)

I knew someone around here would help, TWcenter has lost alot of old time modders of the game and with all the real good guys working on EB and other mods, they dont have a lot of time to post. lol

I am surprised anybody liked my mod. lol Infact if it wasn't for the few who really liked it, I probably would have kept it for myself. Sicne my whole purpose was to make the game better for the way I like to play.

P.S. I worked out an Excellent balance system with the units, Infact I am having it Beta tested right now. The untis are balanced good and battles LAST a long time without Reducing swing rates, infact I increased them to 0. Now they swing away like mad men.

Hastatii actually rout where Princepes hold the line against the same troops and when they break against better troops the triarii step in. I can't believe it worked out so well. If you guys can use any of this stuff feel free. It took me several days and Many hours to work out a balance system from scratch and make the battles last 4 times as long! The only problem is the AI doesnt use Phalanxes to their full, but when I human does the balance is perfect! Hopefully CA's patch will fix AI issues and maybe they will form their phalanx right!

Lt

Thanks a bunch for the help. ~:cheers:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-29-2004, 21:09
Thank you ~:)

I knew someone around here would help, TWcenter has lost alot of old time modders of the game and with all the real good guys working on EB and other mods, they dont have a lot of time to post. lol

I am surprised anybody liked my mod. lol Infact if it wasn't for the few who really liked it, I probably would have kept it for myself. Sicne my whole purpose was to make the game better for the way I like to play.

P.S. I worked out an Excellent balance system with the units, Infact I am having it Beta tested right now. The untis are balanced good and battles LAST a long time without Reducing swing rates, infact I increased them to 0. Now they swing away like mad men.

Hastatii actually rout where Princepes hold the line against the same troops and when they break against better troops the triarii step in. I can't believe it worked out so well. If you guys can use any of this stuff feel free. It took me several days and Many hours to work out a balance system from scratch and make the battles last 4 times as long! The only problem is the AI doesnt use Phalanxes to their full, but when I human does the balance is perfect! Hopefully CA's patch will fix AI issues and maybe they will form their phalanx right!Well, we're making all of our stats alterations based on historical data and so far it has worked pretty well. We still have to do a lot more changes in stats and recruitment/upkeep cost, but we're getting there. Real historical behaviour is what we're looking for and we'll have a good balance soon. Regarding your offer I would like to thank you. I would like to see the alterations you've made. Where is you stats alterations available? At TWC? On what name?

Thanks a bunch for the help. ~:cheers:No problem... ~:)

lt1956
12-30-2004, 08:32
Hello Aymar,

I sent you a private message with the download link.

Alos if you curious of whats going on with the beta and the settings the thread is over at TWCenter. Its says Beta. lol

I found that Hastatii will rout with swordmen and then princepes can counter them, then Chosen will get them and triarii can step in and hadle them. Plus Battles last very long I cant stress that enough, funny I almost gave up it was so difficult at first to get a balance right, Horse chariots etc. The only thing is Armour upgrades and Attack upgrades are useless, no noticeable difference, I'm sure there is some difference but so slight, unless someone knows how to edit the percentages for the Armor upgrades>?

Please let me know what you think about the longer battles, I know some will not like it, but its more real and with the slower movement you can get to point a to be in time and watch how your lines are doing.

Use rtr movement modifier or your own, I didn't include it with the Beta file because the testers are using an older verion of my mod.

Lt

P.S. I really like your guys work, some of it makes me drool! I hope after you release it you will allow some of us at trivium to use some ideas, since I like realism but I have an Idea your mod is ULTRA Real. ~:)

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-02-2005, 00:18
Hello Aymar,

I sent you a private message with the download link.Got it.

Alos if you curious of whats going on with the beta and the settings the thread is over at TWCenter. Its says Beta. lolOK. I'll check it.

I found that Hastatii will rout with swordmen and then princepes can counter them, then Chosen will get them and triarii can step in and hadle them. Plus Battles last very long I cant stress that enough, funny I almost gave up it was so difficult at first to get a balance right, Horse chariots etc. The only thing is Armour upgrades and Attack upgrades are useless, no noticeable difference, I'm sure there is some difference but so slight, unless someone knows how to edit the percentages for the Armor upgrades>?We have approached our stats tunning with historical data in mind. Some of it is still in discussion, but so far we've had some good results in gameplay balance, specially regarding elephants and chariots.

As for the armour upgrades, we feel similar to your impressions. Our battles are lasting about 3-4 times longer than in vanilla and the armour and weapon upgrades are influenciating affairs far less than in vanilla (as it should be). We feel no need to increase the influence of them in the MOD.

Please let me know what you think about the longer battles, I know some will not like it, but its more real and with the slower movement you can get to point a to be in time and watch how your lines are doing.Will do. I'll compare it to our kill rate.

Use rtr movement modifier or your own, I didn't include it with the Beta file because the testers are using an older verion of my mod. We have our own too. No need to change that for now.

P.S. I really like your guys work, some of it makes me drool! I hope after you release it you will allow some of us at trivium to use some ideas, since I like realism but I have an Idea your mod is ULTRA Real. ~:)You're a Trivium member? We are cooperating with Trivium now. Just contact Burebista at TWC (Callatian at the ORG) and me (through PM) if you want to exchange more ideas.

BTW, our MOD is nothing but ULTRA real... :yes:

lt1956
01-04-2005, 12:19
Aymar I emailed you the file.

Dont forget to remove the standards and new units or the game will CTD. lol

I'm glad to hear we are on the same page on Battles lasting longer. See I like the idea of your mod, because it will allow me a chance to see what it REALLY was like in Rome at that time. And for me that will be fun, even though I like my mod for Big battles gameplay, I would enjoy learning from a realistic mod.

Are you guys adding the unified Rome mod, I hope not because I feel thats not realistic, since CA doesnt have the best method of representing it, doesnt mean the three factions should be removed, if anything they should be enhanced. I feel it adds to the instability of rome at the time with Powerful Senators etc. So what if they are called families, you can change the texts and call the smurfs. lol

Anyway let me know what you think and I am curious to se if battles are longer in my adjustments or yours.

Lt

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-04-2005, 16:04
Aymar I emailed you the file.Got it. Thanks. ~:)

Dont forget to remove the standards and new units or the game will CTD. lolSure. I will investigate your changes prior to testing your stats.

I'm glad to hear we are on the same page on Battles lasting longer.Well, the battles having to last longer is an obvious thing. Vanilla RTW is ridiculous. Battles that should have lasted hours are solved in 5 minutes. It's like every soldier produces a atomic blast aura. :wall:

See I like the idea of your mod, because it will allow me a chance to see what it REALLY was like in Rome at that time. And for me that will be fun, even though I like my mod for Big battles gameplay, I would enjoy learning from a realistic mod.I have a surprise for you. The EB MOD stats are being regulated for Huge unit size. So, it will be more realistic to play in that setting. However, even with that size, armies are still about 1/10 to 1/20 of the proper realistic size.

Are you guys adding the unified Rome mod, I hope not because I feel thats not realistic, since CA doesnt have the best method of representing it, doesnt mean the three factions should be removed, if anything they should be enhanced. I feel it adds to the instability of rome at the time with Powerful Senators etc. So what if they are called families, you can change the texts and call the smurfs. lol We're working on a more interesting and realistic solution for it. :wink:

Anyway let me know what you think and I am curious to see if battles are longer in my adjustments or yours.I will test it. It's going to take a while though, because I'm finalizing the Alpha 0.4 test version and I need to concentrate on that for the next week or so.

lt1956
01-04-2005, 23:05
Ok I understand. lol Its busy times working on a mod, especially an historical accurate one.

I appreciate the help you have given me and if there is anything I can help on I will gladly do so, after all you guys are part of Trivium.

Lt

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-05-2005, 00:30
I appreciate the help you have given me and if there is anything I can help on I will gladly do so, after all you guys are part of Trivium.

LtWell, you could join EB... :wink: After all some of the Trivium guys are already working with us: Callatian/Burabista, Alin, Webbird, etc...

lt1956
01-05-2005, 11:04
What can I offer to your team that you dont already have? Besides just joining, what would I do to help?

Lt

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-05-2005, 13:51
Well, we still need people to test and implement technical solutions in the txt files that some of our historians suggested. Regarding the strategical map, etc... Some of it needs to be tested for compatibility. You can also cooperate on the new sound editing and music groups.

lt1956
01-05-2005, 20:10
Sounds interesting, sounds like a QA type task.

PM me some more details dealing with the Map stats etc. What type of implimentation are we speaking of.

Also If I join I need to know all the guidelines and rules, I wouldn't want a any misunderstanding or mistakes. lol ~;)

Lt