PDA

View Full Version : May I help?

Kristoff
12-28-2004, 13:09
After reading this forum I decided to register, because I found your mod incredible. I just hope it will fulfill all expectations. Myself, I'm gonna wait with playing RTW till you finish EB, because niether vanilla RTW nor any mods suit me. I'm a historical realism freak ~:)
Just want to ask if you need any help. I've got no idea o graphics or coding but could do some research on factions, units ect.

The biggest problem of EB an all mods I see now is a setup of Rome. Of course, that's CA fault. The 3 families + Senate model is an absurd, because it just wasn't this way, even in times of triumvirate (I mean families in a total control of certain provinces). But unified Rome isn't good either. Who is the player then? Rome is SPQR, but the player is niether populous nor senate. God, some "invisible hand of history"? The best Roman setup I've seen so far was in a game Pax Romana, if you know what I mean. Sure, the game itself was so buggy and visually awful that it end up as a marketing catastrophe. Nevertheless Senate - patrician families model was very good. Crappy but better than RTW would be even some model like this - you are a kind of grey eminence controlling whole nation, but can't declare war, make peace or recruit troops without Senate's permission. But I'm sure CA won't do anything about that. So do you have any new ideas for Rome in EB or you just stick withe current 3 families + Senate system?

eadingas
12-28-2004, 13:29
Hello, fellow Varsovian ;)
We have some interesting ideas for Rome, but you'd have to become a member and get into password-protected thread for that, as it's all going to be a big surprise :) (not to mention we stil can't decide which option to choose ;)
In the meantime you can help by voting here, if the poll is not closed yet:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40673

What's the setup in Pax Romana? I don't believe I've seen that game...

Kristoff
12-28-2004, 14:52
Hey, always nice to find a countryman!
Well, the Pax Romana model was in short something like this:
There are ca. 8 influentian patrician families (the player chooses one of them). You have family members and family's land in different provinces given you by Rome - thus some annual cashflow (after taxes) ect. Every family has certain level of influence, depending on position in Senate, holding offices ect. You use cash to invest in your family's farms ect., gain votes in Senate (members of Your family + bribed ones) and so on. On every session of Senat you can propose a lot of things (rising consular legions, declaring war, proposing peace, some social ect. reforms) and there are elections for republic's offices. Whether Senate passes your proposal or chooses your cousins for public posts depends on result of voting (every family has Senate members). So you can raise and command armies i.e. only if Senat i.e. decides to declare war on Gauls, to raise legions for this purpose and make a member of your family a consul for a wartime. Of course, if other family has a consul and yours not, you can just observe what happens in war. For your family's deeds to Rome you gain land (=cash), offices in Rome or provinces and of course more influence. So it's all about clashing of many families interests. For example, barbarians invaded some defenceless border province. To repulse invasion Rome needs more troops. So many senators propose raising new legions for this war. But invaded province is a stronghold of your family's biggest rivals (they have there i.e. most of their farms, hold governor office ect.). Then, if you have enough power in Senate, you can block proposal to raise new legions ~:) Of course, such things can't be common cause afterall SPQR protects your family and its wealth. If you backstab republic and your rivals, when hard time comes to you, they will do the same. In this way, much realism is achieved. Families are interested in expansion (chances for more land, glory, offices, wealth). OTOH internal clashes, weakening the republic, are in place also. I'm not sure about civil war, but probably you can challenge the republic i.e. when as a consul you refuse to dissolve legions under your command after the war (if Senate wants it) and march them on Rome. Of course, if you're popular enough to keep the legions loyal to you.
Surely, it can't be done in RTW, because it would need a completely new engine or code, whatever. And, to be honest, CA makes such a bad AI in TW games, that it just couldn't handle such complicated system.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
12-28-2004, 18:57
May I help?Yes, you may. Just PM me to talk about it.

Nice to see that you enjoy our efforts... ~:wave:

Forgus
12-30-2004, 12:07
Hi Folks,

I'we been watching your efforts for a while, and I can assure you that I'm greatly impressed.
Since now I seem to have sonme extra time decided to offer a helping hand...
Where do you need it? I'm no techie, or rather I'm no professional. Ican research, write and so...
So, if you are interested... ~:cool:

ah_dut
01-01-2005, 01:59
PM aymar for a job application....

blz
01-03-2005, 00:38
hey
first of all id like to say i love yer effort.this mod seems to have a lot of potential.keep up guys :)

im a musician.if you guys interested in makin yer own original soundtrack for the game and happen to have no musicians so far in yer team, im givin you some links ( sorry,quite old stuff coz i havent got the time lately to make some new stuff - busy with commercial stuff) to some of my probes.
if you find this stuff interesting, i would love to work with you on this mod.
writing some themes or whatever(original soundtrack?)

http://blz.emiasto.com.pl/blz_-_of%20sand%20and%20fog_-_prologue.zip
http://blz.emiasto.com.pl/probki.zip

keep up good work guys and take care!