PDA

View Full Version : Not ANOTHER one

Arrowhead
12-28-2004, 19:44
I am quite new to rtw (but I have played extensively the rest of the warchest) and to the guild and I am wondering if anyone had a least favorite bug. If so put here.

The_678
12-28-2004, 20:24
For me that would have to be the Phalanx bug. I haven't even played a phalanx nation yet because that bug is so garbage to me. It's very closely followed by the crazy Friendly fire though.

djsway
12-28-2004, 20:42
For me that would have to be the Phalanx bug. I haven't even played a phalanx nation yet because that bug is so garbage to me. It's very closely followed by the crazy Friendly fire though.

What is the Phalanx bug?

The_678
12-28-2004, 21:38
It's where for some reason whenever a phalanx is fighting the whole unit shuffles/dances/moves to the right, which in turn totally exposes their flanks and just totally ruins fighting as a phalanx for me.

Oaty
12-28-2004, 23:13
Most annoying and most pleasurable at the same time. The comp takes 2-6 units and besieges 10-15 elite to semi-elite units I have to go through the whole mess of assembling my army and as soon as my army is close to them they go Aye crockee and run away, but because of the withdraw bug they get wiped off the face of the earth.

SpencerH
12-28-2004, 23:15
It's where for some reason whenever a phalanx is fighting the whole unit shuffles/dances/moves to the right, which in turn totally exposes their flanks and just totally ruins fighting as a phalanx for me.

I didnt find the phalanx dance to be too bad, certainly no reason to not play the selucids. Friendly fire is the biggest 'bug' but there are lots of other 'non-bugs' that bug me more.

FURRY_BOOTS
12-29-2004, 11:01
whats with the ships that get beached & are no longer useable, i had a full stack got beached, couldnt destroy them, & were costing me like money each turn, pretty annoying :help:

Krusader
12-30-2004, 00:00
Phalanx bug is annoying. Not that funny when entire battleline of phalanxes moves to the right and gets hammered by enemy cavalry.

Kraxis
12-30-2004, 00:29
Phalanx bug is annoying. Not that funny when entire battleline of phalanxes moves to the right and gets hammered by enemy cavalry.

Agreed, but I don't find the entire line shifting to be bad, at least the entire line is intact, and any flankers have to deal with your flankguards (any sensible commander will guard his phalanx).
But the drift will most certainly ruin any intermixing of units, you simply can't have a unit of Eastern Mercenaries (lets just imagine you are in early game with only Militia Hoplites) in the middle of your line, it will get messed up very badly. And if you keep it on the left it will get isolated, possibly even get so far away that the enemy can flank your phalanx. Bad situation.
But it gets directly silly when you fight in cities or at bridges. To see a unit of pikemen or hoplites pile into a wall as they drift or to drift into a river and drown is beyond reason, so far in fact that what my eyes see my brain can't comprehend and it all becomes a blur. :dizzy2:

Stinker
12-30-2004, 00:56
Is the phalanx bug actually a bug? I believe in reality the fact that each man in a phalanx formation held his shield in his left hand therefor protecting the man on his right. So the tendancy for the men was to drift right toward the protection.

Kraxis
12-30-2004, 01:16
Is the phalanx bug actually a bug? I believe in reality the fact that each man in a phalanx formation held his shield in his left hand therefor protecting the man on his right. So the tendancy for the men was to drift right toward the protection.

It is not a bug, but rather failed attempt to copy reality.
What you say it true enough, hoplites tended to drift to the right, it was used time and again to settle battles fast. But the problem here is that the hoplites (and pikemen who never drifted) drift in melee, of which there is no account of, while they march streight on, which was in fact the place of the drift.
But all in all the drift, even if it was changed to the march is simply an anoyance that limits the game. It is similar to if the battlelines actually disengaged and rested for a while after a clash... How disrupting for the gameplay wouldn't that be? But at least it would be correct... At times things need not be added and the drift of the phalanxes is one of them.

The Ronin
12-30-2004, 05:48
I haven't played enough to notice a lot of the bugs people talk about here but the "friendly fire" is just brutal. Since you can only do battle replays with custom battles, thats about all I do with the game. You have to micro-manage so much that a regular campaign battle just isn't that fun. At least with a custom battle I can fight it out with a lot of pauses but then replay and watch it from so many different angles it really makes the battles a blast. Back to the subject though, I was playing a custom Illyrian battlefield, Julii vs Dacia. It had rained for most of the battle and I had already turned the Dacians into full retreat BUT my lines were getting hammered by flaming arrows. It was so bad I thought I was being attacked by someone but couldn't find any enemy units firing on me. Then I backed up to my archers and couldn't believe it. They were just drilling my guys in the back...and the Dacians were half way down the hill. The guys my archers were drilling weren't even in pursuit!!! The other time was against the gauls in the gallic countryside. I had my lines in guard mode with calvary sweeping all over the field. When the gauls hit my extreme right flank held by auxilia spearman, my archers killed about half of them. Killed a lot of gauls to but if it wasn't for calvary close by my own archers would have knocked my own line out??? I know it is a common occurence in war but this is beyond common sense. :furious3:

Puzz3D
12-30-2004, 14:21
Historically, I think the phalanx drift happened mostly when it was moving forward, but RTW has it happening when the unit fights and not when it's moving forward.