PDA

View Full Version : the silliest siege

ibejeph
12-29-2004, 01:28
undefinedundefinedundefined
This has got to be the silliest siege I've ever been a part of. I am playing a Seleucid campaign and my main army was down in the Sinai fighting the evil Egyptians and to their rear was Jerusalem. Egypt had garrisoned it with a unit of skirmishes and 2 units of spearmen. All I had near Jerusalem was a unit of militia cavalry, so for fun, I laid siege to the town.

On the very next turn, the Egyptians sallied forth to rescue the city. First came the skirmishes, followed immediately by the spearmen. The skirmishes ran toward my militia cavalry but the spearmen walked. It was a mistake. I plowed my militia cavalry directly into the skirmishes who immediately routed. They ran right towards the cities gates.

The spearmen made straight for my cavalry but I ran around them in a semi circle, coming in between them and the city gates. At this time, the routing skirmishes had just reached the gates, which were left open as they ran through. I charged my militia cavalry straight into the gates and they were mine! The Egyptians could not pass.

I saw that the spearmen were racing to the eastern city gate, so I ran my cavalry to it first and locked them out. I did the same with the western and southern gates. I had locked them out of their own city! It was so damn silly, I just sat for a few minutes laughing. The next turn, the two units of spearmen just left, walking back to Egypt. They didn't even bother to lay siege. I took a well garrisoned city with one unit of militia cavalry. Anyone have similar stories?

Didz
12-29-2004, 02:34
Presumably this was a city with basic wooden walls, nice trick though. ~:cheers:

My silliest siege was one which occured before I turned the battle timer off. My army had captured the city centre, the enemy had less than 10 men left and I had about 500 and the timer was counting down towards zero and inevitable victory.

3,2,1,0....Queue victory screen.

Hang on!

Whats this YOU HAVE SUFFERRED A CLOSE DEFEAT?

With that my entire army picked up their weapons and marched out of the city. I can only assume that the 30 minute timer ran out seconds before the countdown completed.

That was the final straw for me and I downloaded TiLiN and turned the damned thing off.

Ar7
12-29-2004, 12:36
Well that was the easiest conquest of Jerusalem in human history, good job, gave me a laugh too ~D

Emren
12-29-2004, 12:51
Hmmm. In my recent game as the Julii, one of my towns were sieged by the Germans. They had brought 17 of their phalanx-type infantry, two sword-inf and 1 unit of screeching women. Three rams. Two of the rams were operated by the sword infantry, the third one by the women. ~:confused: I was defending with four units of hastati, one general and two cavalry, so odds were bad, and I didn't expect to win.

Well, one of the rams got shot by one of my arrow-towers. The other two proceeded to knock on the wall and the main gate. I charged the two cav out another gate, and charged the ram that was knocking the wall. :charge: That disrupted the unit, and made them stop battering. Before I could charge the final ram, my cav units were dead. Oh well. :help: So the women knock down my gate, and I had placed my four hastati in a semi-circle right at the entrance, hoping to create a pocket where I could kill whoever entered. And then --- nothing. The entire German army just sits there and do not enter through the gate. ~:confused:

So the timer runs out, and I manage to keep my town. Please fix this! I should have been run over, but it turned out to be more of a staring contest than anything else.

The_Doctor
12-29-2004, 13:42
Mine has to be the epic siege of athens (Total Realism mod, nor/nor). 2 Roman armies had landed and besieged athens. They attacked with 2 sets of ladders, a ram and over 5,000 men (Huge units). I had about 900 men. 1 general, 3 archers, and 4 athenain hoplite(same as normal hoplite, just with different skin).

The assualt begins. I put my archers on the walls with 3 units of hoplites. I left one in reseve with my general. The romans' 2 armies start on opposite sides of the wall. The northen army has the ladders and ram, but is smaller. You can guess what. The ram on fire. Two units coming up each ladder then getting overwhelmed to the top. Every one else stands around the gate and gets killed. The other army marches around next to the wall and dies.

They tried it again a few years later and the same happened. Then they seiged athens for the third time, but then with most of their forces away, I stuck at them and took their last 2 cities in one turn. Their armies around athens turned to rebels and I bribed them. Now one of them is the governer of athens.

th3freakie
12-29-2004, 14:21
The entire German army just sits there and do not enter through the gate. ~:confused:

So the timer runs out, and I manage to keep my town. Please fix this! I should have been run over, but it turned out to be more of a staring contest than anything else.

Happened to many often, and is my problem an on-going no-time-limit campaign. I don't wanna have to sally just because the atackers are too coward...

Didz
12-29-2004, 14:45
Happened to many often, and is my problem an on-going no-time-limit campaign. I don't wanna have to sally just because the atackers are too coward...

Personally, I think it was a shrewd move. Having tried to take a city through an open gate I can vouch for the fact that it isn't a good idea.

As for the time issue, quitting a battle when your troops are in a city should result in a draw. So, there is no need to sally out at all.

th3freakie
12-29-2004, 18:09
Personally, I think it was a shrewd move. Having tried to take a city through an open gate I can vouch for the fact that it isn't a good idea.

As for the time issue, quitting a battle when your troops are in a city should result in a draw. So, there is no need to sally out at all.

Good to know ~:)

And thinking about my exp with open gates (spies) I gotta give it to you and the AI - it's virtualy suicide.

Emren
12-29-2004, 19:35
Well, if I hadn't sallied with my cav, the second ram would have knocked a hole in the wall, which might have caused the Germans to attack me through the two openings. But I am glad that you have experienced it as well! ~:cool: