PDA

View Full Version : Different victories?!

Ar7
12-30-2004, 10:53
Whats the difference between what victory type you get e.g. heroic, clear, close etc. I haven't noticed any impact they have, a victory is a victory or?

Didz
12-30-2004, 12:11
I'm also curious what criteria is used to warrant a memorial marker being added to the map showing the location of a great battle.

Sometimes I think I deserve one and don't get it and other times I get one and can't work out why the AI thought it was so special.

The_Emperor
12-30-2004, 12:25
I think the difference is worked out by the AI taking into account battle kill ratio, starting troop numbers and starting troop quality.

The Crossed swords markers only appear on the landscape for a "Heroic Victory"... Very often a battle where you eliminate the enemy far beyond what the AI estimated the outcome would be.

Uesugi Kenshin
12-30-2004, 17:47
I believe that if you get a huge number of kills and lose very few men it will also count as a heroic victory. I have also noticed that when I am out numbered and still win and get a large amount of kills I sometimes get heroic victory maybe it also relies on how many valor points your troops gain.

Ar7
12-30-2004, 20:18
Yes, but what is the difference between them, I mean clear of heroic, is there a reason to care?

mfberg
12-30-2004, 20:36
Yes, but what is the difference between them, I mean clear of heroic, is there a reason to care?

Not unless you want to sea the lands and seas littered with the crossed swords (and remains of your enemies).

mfberg

Sin Qua Non
01-01-2005, 20:45
I wouldn't be surpprised if the difference in victories changed your generals promotions and virtues/retinue. A general with 10 heroics and 0 losses may be more decorated than a general with 5 Heroics and 5 close victories. Does RTW silently record your generals W/L record, like in Shogun?

Akka
01-01-2005, 20:51
The Crossed swords markers only appear on the landscape for a "Heroic Victory"...
No, IIRC it's only the number of troops commited on the whole that is important. The twelve biggest battle in the game are marked with the crossed swords (with the smaller being replaced while even bigger ones are fought).

Ar7
01-01-2005, 21:26
Not possible, during one turn I fought two battles, one of them involved around 2500k of troops and the other one was rebel slaughter ( around 200 vs 200 ), the rebel one got the marker.

Akka
01-01-2005, 22:56
Hu ?
I've never experienced such a thing, and I'm pretty sure it was a developper himself that said this thing about the sword marker.
Too bad the search function is down.

Sinner
01-02-2005, 00:15
You can get a marker with even a one-unit-vs-one-unit battle if you kill all the enemy for no losses. It doesn't have to be a massive fight.

I get them all the while when rebel hunting with since I primarily use archers for that, rarely having to use my line infantry or cavalry except for skewering routers.

KiOwA
01-02-2005, 10:40
Heroic victories should also have a more tangible reward for the victorious general than a simple marking of swords in the sand. Perhaps a virtue that will add morale to his men?

Mikeus Caesar
01-02-2005, 13:47
I think you only get heroic victoy if you manage to kill the entire army. Not chase them off the field, but kill every single on of them.

HicRic
01-02-2005, 13:54
I think Captains getting Heroic Victories give you a high chance of the option to adopt them. Getting bad defeats tends to give your general bad traits, like 'weak attacker', for example. I think the better victories like Heroic tend to give your general better traits, but that's just going by what I've experienced, no scientific testing or anything.

I most commonly find I get a Heroic Victory after winning when the odds are against me with few casulties and large enemy casulties. If the odds are in your favour to begin with it seems almost impossible to get a Heroic victory, and more often is simply a Clear victory.