PDA

View Full Version : How do you slow down troop movements?!

Simovek
01-02-2005, 05:14
The walking speed is fine but the running speed is ridiculous! Units run so fast I have to literally pause every 15 seconds just to stay up to speed with the game. I've played STW and MTW since they came out and am pretty good at them but this is just crazy. How does anyone keep control during these battles when units run so fast? One second they are an archers bowshow length away the next second they are in hand to hand combat. Not enough time for me to select multiple units and tell them what I want to do.

Exodus
01-02-2005, 09:14
use groups or the ctrl commands (ctrl+c for calvary, ctrl+i for infantry. m for missile etc)

try to limit the number of times u pause or dont pause at all.... its confusing, more fun and realistic. you dont get to pause in real life eh...

HicRic
01-02-2005, 13:49
use groups or the ctrl commands (ctrl+c for calvary, ctrl+i for infantry. m for missile etc)

try to limit the number of times u pause or dont pause at all.... its confusing, more fun and realistic. you dont get to pause in real life eh...

But in real life, your fully-armored troops wouldn't run 100m in ten seconds or stay standing in one direction when they're being charged from another without being ordered. That's why we have a pause. ~;)

Simovek, try downloading the "Total War Realism" mod for RTW, you should be able to find it hereon the .ORG easily enough. It slows down movement and killing speeds, I'm told.

Simovek
01-02-2005, 17:07
Thank the lord I'm going to check that out right now :)

CBR
01-02-2005, 20:12
You can edit the values yourself and its quite easy actually. But unfortunately you cant edit run speed only, so the changes will effect marching speed too. I believe the Realism mod has done it the same way.

Locate the txt file descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers in the Total War\Rome - Total War\Data folder.

climate default

grass_short 1.0
grass_long 1.0
sand 1.0
rock 1.0
forest_dense 0.75
scrub_dense 1.0
swamp 1.0
mud 1.0
mud_road 1.0
stone_road 1.0
water 0.6
ice 0.5
snow 0.75

By reducing these numbers you will reduce the overall movement of all units. A 25-30% reduction will make the runspeeds more like the STW/MTW run speed.

Make a backup of the file and edit the values until you found something you like.

CBR