PDA

View Full Version : Amazed by seige tower

Besieger
01-02-2005, 06:29
Hi all....Happy New Year!!!! A couple of days ago while i'm still playing germania attacking the roman pennisulla....i am suprised by a sight when i seiged the epic stone wall of the roman city with a strange looking and larger seige tower :book: ....that is the first time i saw e tower and wat amazed me is that when e tower start approaching e wall which is defend with lotsa enemies....IT suddenly start SHOOTING MISSILES ~:eek: at the defenders and almost all of them was killed before i could land any troops on the wall.....am i the onli few who experience this or are there anyone too seen it bfore....pls feel free to share any info u know abt e seige tower with us....thanx alot!!!

IrishMike
01-02-2005, 07:24
Yup, those towers appear with the epic walls, because the walls are so big. I guess activision thought people might need a extra hand to beat an epic wall so they added the balista part to it. Kinda handy against the walls if you ask me.

Mikemyers64
01-02-2005, 10:17
all of the siege towers have missles. just the bigger ones have ballistas. its fun to sit in front of the wall and let them use all their ammo before you assault the walls

KiOwA
01-02-2005, 15:24
It's funny that the arrow towers don't use flaming arrows to burn up the siege towers, which they definitely should. This would force the siege towers to close the distance ASAP instead of just standing off and sniping the defenders, which is totally unrealistic IMHO.

Shahed
01-02-2005, 16:06
I had an online multiplayer battle just for fun. My host, chose the Rome map. I took some Heavy OWNagers and used flaming missiles on the huge towers. Once on fire they start to crumble and people are falling out of the sides. It's really well done, they look far better when on fire :D .. and eventually they collapse. Eye Candy FX Extraordinaire !.

Just in case you are wondering the FPS was not that bad for two full armies and buildings aflame, battling it out in Rome.

Akka
01-02-2005, 19:10
It's one of the problem I have with the game. Siege towers shouldn't be upgraded automatically to fit the wall, especially with something as powerful as the machinegun-ballista. It makes epic wall harder to defend than plain stone wall :dizzy2:

There should be three kinds of towers that you can choose to build, whatever the wall.

Simetrical
01-02-2005, 20:54
Or two types of towers: wood and stone. The latter would be vastly more expensive in build points, but it couldn't be set on fire and would thus be immune to anything but siege weapons. Furthermore, both would cost a great deal more when assaulting larger walls. A wood siege tower used against a normal stone wall might cost 65 points, but one used against a large wall might be 110 points, and an epic wall could take 160 points. The engineering difficulties would scale exponentially, remember, as you increase the height of the tower.

-Simetrical

Arrowhead
01-02-2005, 22:18
Hey, what about a siege tower with a onager! ~D

Arrowhead
01-02-2005, 22:18
Oh and BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Frederick
01-03-2005, 22:40
I may be wrong but I'm sure my towers did fire flaming arrows at the siege towers, and I managed to set two alight before they reached the walls (with the aid of Pharaohs bowmen) just like you can set rams alight.

Stone siege towers?!? wouldn't they be a bit heavy

Watchman
01-04-2005, 02:49
They'd be ridiculously heavy. AFAIK the heaviest stuff that ever went into protecting siege towers was thin bronze plating, and even that was pretty much restricted to those crazy helopolis things ("...products of Hellenic engineering ingenuity coupled with unlimited imperial budgets...") the Successor Kingdoms liked to send against each others' walls.

I've gotten the impression the siege towers the troops build against the second-highest grade of wall have armor plating on their front section, while the crazy Epic skyscrapers have armor everywhere but behind. So far as I've seen (from a custom battle) the plating is damn near completely fireproof; or at least I had two full units of boosted Archer Auxilia pour arrows into one for quite a while for no perceivable effect, after which I started shooting the ground troops instead. Didn't notice any notable firepower on the siege towers, though.

This would seem to have the rather lopsided end result that Epic city walls are the hardest stone walls to defend, as the siege towers are the most difficult to burn down...

KiOwA
01-04-2005, 03:13
Which is why I say that Siege Towers, especially those built for Epic Stone Walls, ought to be alot more vulnerable to defenders' fire, and the only way to board an Epic Wall would be to overwhelm it with sheer force of numbers (of Siege Towers, that is)

Besieger
01-04-2005, 04:06
hey...thanx everyone for ur precious info on seige tower...thou its kinda strange that even using un-developed fraction like the germania and yet they still able to built something so advance when it comes to having to seige an epic wall??!! ~:confused:

Shahed
01-04-2005, 14:03
Lol