PDA

View Full Version : R:TW Movie?

KampfHase
01-02-2005, 12:07
Hi there,

I've never played R:TW but I was wondering if there is any possible way to record a battle (like in M:TW) and use the material to cut a movie with adobe premiere (maybe by converting the file into a compatible format if necessary) by using the "screen as a camera" while "flying" over the field and actually shooting scenes? I imagine that recording a battle is easy to do but I do not have the slightest idea (due to a lack of knowledge concerning R:TW and its machanisms) if it could be done to record what you see/shoot while watching the replay!
Well, at least it would be a fun idea for a patch to actually create a tool that would let you play director of photography in an epic battle and show the footage to your friends. You know like, watch a scene where your army is marching across the field, hit a button, record what you see and know it to be saved in a file as .avi or .mpeg... etcetera!
Don't know if this thread is worth the time it took to post it but the idea is fun to think about!

Take care! ~:)

aw89
01-02-2005, 13:59
Use fraps!

KampfHase
01-02-2005, 16:08
I'm form Germany, so please be so kind and tell me what "fraps" means?

Shahed
01-02-2005, 18:04
From what I have seen the pros do with flight simulators, I'd recommend the following for best results:

1. Write a short script (which units, terrain, weather, which units get the emphasis, etc etc)
2. Go online with a few buddies, use only 1 unit for yourself and tell them to act out the script.. i.e move the units around the way you want them filmed. this si because u want ur hands and screen free to do the filming and u can rely on humans better than AI.
3. GO Premier or even better IMHO is Vegas, edit, add sunbursts, mod colors, wahtever you want... insert music, voices etc
4. Publish ! (doh!) I can help anyone host a movie which they produce as my squad runs a download server. It is down for this week but next week it will be back up. It's free hosting, you get a username and password to the server and you upload what you want. Then EVERYONE can download your productions. The Legion is already doing this for the Lock On flight sim community and we do it for every game for which there is a production. There's pleanty of bandwidth, and we never ran out of bandwidth. The largest movie we ever hosted was 312 Megs (DVD quality) and it got downloaded surely more than +-1,600 times.

Please let me know via PM, email if you need anything hosting. Would LOVE to see some movies from RTW.

KampfHase Fraps is a screen capture program that allows u to record whatever is running on your screen. Check http://www.fraps.com/

or you can download a movie here, this is recorded with Fraps:
http://video.fraps.com/FarCry-2.zip

I'll try get back with some cool flight sim videos, they look like they are REAL. RTW is a great game for movie making, great graphics, great FX.. btw how do you remove the user interface from the battle screen ?

Good Luck !

Shahed
01-02-2005, 18:14
And about the tool, Lock On has a built in AVI renderer which can produce movies at a higher resolution than at which they were recorded. For example... Scene 1 Act 2... 5 planes bombing an army tank factory.. lots of explosions cut your FPS down and can make the film look choppy. So one solution is you record the track (replay) on a low resolution but when u want to create an avi file.. you choose a much higher resolution. The game then takes the data from the replay and renders it in higher resolution, with 100% accuracy. it takes time as your CPU is buzzing away.... but once u get back with a coffee, an act is rendered to perfection. I wish there was a tool like this for RTW, too. Woulc make movie making much easier and more perfect but still, not less time consuming. To create a masterpiece demands time. In the Lock On community some people work for months on the same movie, but of course others work just a week or two and come up with a very promising result.

Come on people ... LIGHTS !!! CAMERA !!!! ...

Arrowhead
01-02-2005, 22:37
If anyone is going to try it, I am right behind them! That would be really good! :yes: ~:thumb:

Anselm
01-02-2005, 23:27
Me and a few friends did this in medieval, using the napoleonic mod to make a mock up of a part of one of Bernard Cornwells Sharpe novels. We used Fraps aswell, alass, my PC is too out of date to be able to record with fraps and keep a decent fps rate on rome, many times have I tried. However, if you want help planning, scripting and the like I'd be happy to help.

Cheers and good luck.
Anselm

KampfHase
01-03-2005, 09:34
First I'd like to thank you all for your helpfull responses!

Alright, it seems to be possible to make a R:TW movie, so what I'm going to do now is run to the next store a buy the game ~:)

I'm not sure if I understood everything you told but I'll give it a try (though I'm more the guy who can come up with idea, script, storyboard and all that film-making stuff than with smart ideas of how to actually turn it into bits and bytes (due to lack of knowledge concerning the whole thing called personal computer and its strange habits ~D )

Thanks guys and we'll keep in touch, I hope!

(I hope I can get the english version of the game)

Shahed
01-03-2005, 22:12
Was hast du nicht verstanden ? Ich kann auch ein bitschen Deutsch. You can write it in German if you prefer. I don;t have time to actually participate but I can answer your questions the best I can. Gonna be very bust next few days so If I don't answer in this thread just use email or PM (in my profile). Good Luck & viel Spass !

the tokai
01-03-2005, 22:52
i posted a thread about this in the entrance hall but i guess i'd better put it here too:

i made a short rtw movie (2 actually) but i can't upload it anywere. can someone please help me?