PDA

View Full Version : Shogun:Total War Original

Khan^
01-03-2005, 23:15
Does anyone play the original Shogun Total War????
Just want to know because everyone seems to play WE/MI.
Is it possible to play on-line at all??

--------------------------------

Khan^

ichi
01-06-2005, 06:49
Does anyone play the original Shogun Total War????
Just want to know because everyone seems to play WE/MI.
Is it possible to play on-line at all??

--------------------------------

Khan^

I'm playing WE 1.02, but only SP.

There is an effort to make a MP mod for VI that will simulate 1.12 I think.

ichi

Jochi Khan
01-06-2005, 14:18
Hi Khan

Welcome.

Yes it is possible to play online.

Check the thread at the top of the page...STW

Tosa's FakeServer is used to loggon online.

Some people also have the original STW.

Jochi

Drisos
01-11-2005, 13:13
i played it once at a friend, but i can't remember anything about MP ~:confused:

Puzz3D
01-11-2005, 21:10
You could try Samurai Wars for mtw/vi. It plays a lot like original STW.

Sasaki Kojiro
01-12-2005, 20:47
I'd be up for some original shogun mp.

Drisos
01-20-2005, 13:13
in the original version everything was more expensive, wasn't it?
and there are units in WE that waren't there in shogun original.

:bow:

Togakure
01-21-2005, 02:31
Yep, buildings were twice as expensive and took twice as long to build. Some units were different too. I remember Geishas cost double what they do in WE/MI but only took 4 turns to build, etc.

No nag cav, battlefield ninja (and hence, no BN Dojo either), or kensai in the original.

The original also had a different opening movie.

Wilbo
01-21-2005, 02:48
I like the speedier build times and improved balance with 1.03 but I really dont like Battlefield Ninja or Kensai... I just don't see the point... ~:confused:

I wish I could change it back to the original set of movies too, I dont like the poor quality scene from RAN...

Has anyone modded their Shogun to be more like the orginal?

Drisos
01-21-2005, 12:20
i do like the new units(especially kensai! :duel: )

i like the movies in WE much, they couldn't be much better in original. ~;)

what i don't like are the geisha's, they are created too fast and are almost impossible to beat! ~:eek:

Togakure
01-21-2005, 15:12
IIRC, something in the hard-coding of 1.02 prevents modding stats to achieve 1.00/1.12-like performance. Puzz3D, the resident Org stat wizard, could tell you more.

Puzz and a group of others, who prefer the original stat gameplay over 1.02, have been working on an MTW-VI mod which is supposed to simulate the original Shogun feel. Check out the MTW forums for more info on the Samurai mod. They are about to use it for a multiplayer (MP) competition on a custom-made campaign map. Several clans will be participating.

I've never used Kensai much. Battlefield Ninja on the other hand can be extremely fun, but the trick is--you must build an army exclusively of BN units. This allows you to take advantage of their invisibility, as only the general can be seen by the enemy until you get very close, or attack with the other units. This makes for some fun tactics (bait and lead with the general while surrounding with the others, etc.). A stack of BNs make the best port raiders because the enemy sees a small force and sends a small force to counter ... hehe. For maximum effect, avoid using BNs like you would other units. They are a specialty unit, so use them as such by taking advantage of their special abilities.

Playing the Tokugawa 1580 campaign allows you to begin the game with 9 BN units, just enough for an effective BN army. Because Tokugawa starts with only three provinces in that scenario, raising koku is an immediate problem. Pillaging rich provinces with the BN army can yield a lot of koku fast (and also really slow down an enemy clan's koku and unit production). Give it a try sometime, it can be a really fun and interesting campaign.

Kill geishas with geishas. Just make sure that you develop some first, before the other clans produce any. If you do this, enemy geishas are rarely a problem. If they become annoying, locate the province producing them, port jump with a strong army to the nearest port, and make your way to the geisha-producing province. Then just raze it to the ground--no more geishas ~:) .

Drisos
01-24-2005, 12:24
once hojo had geisha's first ~:eek: , i lost one good general! :skull: , but i had a ninja kill that bitch! :hanged: and i did that trick with the port and destroyed every building there! :smash:

later i was always faster than any other clan and my geisha's ruled! :director:

InsaneFox
01-31-2005, 00:29
STW Was and will always be the Best Total War Game
And EA Should Be Shot For TAKING DOWN THE SERVER
May They Burn in HELL

Uesugi Kenshin
01-31-2005, 04:55
I unfortunately never got MI, too bad. Oh well the modding of RTW for Sengoku Jidai has gotten me back into STW and I just had to play as the Uesugi again. Still a great game.

Drisos
01-31-2005, 08:51
STW Was and will always be the Best Total War Game

i totally agree! ~;) ~(have you voted in entrance hall for STW too?)

And EA Should Be Shot For TAKING DOWN THE SERVER
May They Burn in HELL

i even more agree, never got a chance to play MP, luckily elmarkofear sets his own campaign!

i like your opinions! :bow: :bow:

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2005, 09:03
We still need a few players before we can begin so join up. :) I agree with STW being the best of the bunch. What makes it so good is it:

Had great atmosphere

Was simple to learn to move your men

Was easy to understand the mechanics of the game

Did not bog you down in too many details

Had a great strategy guide which explained how the battles were calculated and everything that affects morale and fighting ability of your units.

Had only 16 diffferent units you needed to learn to use, but allowed you to upgrade them to 9 honor levels which meant more different type of armies than MTW with its 100s of different units.

Had a campaign map that had specific maps for specific provinces.

Had a great MP lobby.

Had a great and loyal MP community and SP community, much larger and more active than at any time since.

Wilbo
01-31-2005, 14:51
I like the speedier build times and improved balance with 1.03 but I really dont like Battlefield Ninja or Kensai... I just don't see the point... ~:confused:

I wish I could change it back to the original set of movies too, I dont like the poor quality scene from RAN...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA!11! I just read this post thinking "Man this guy really hit the nail on the head. I 100% agree with this."

Frankymole
08-17-2005, 13:24

Does anyone know where to get the original movies? Instead of the WE one?

TosaInu
08-18-2005, 23:02
Does anyone know where to get the original movies? Instead of the WE one?

From the original STW?

Frankymole
08-19-2005, 01:28
Yes indeed - the bloke practising with the katana...

Shambles
08-19-2005, 20:18
the vid's would take an age to send and also the1s i have are on the cd that i scratched so some of them are broken.

as for playing Shogun mp,
You must update your shogun game fully with the updates from totalwar.com
otherwize you wont be able to see games to join,

there are threads that will tell you how to connect to fakeserver,