PDA

View Full Version : Time machine

djsway
01-04-2005, 23:07
If you were able to travel back into the RTW period, which faction would you join, and what type of soldier would you be? Or would just be a peasant and live a safe life?

-edit- Ok let me rephrase this question... Lets say you are drafted back in time, which army would you join and what type of soldier would you be? :charge:

nokhor
01-04-2005, 23:48
peasent live a safe life?

if the lord ain't knocking up your misses on her wedding night, you might get conscripted or have to 'volunteer' the manual labor for his castle or die from any old disease since medicine is way too expensive for the likes of you, who knows you might reach the ripe old age of thirty.

i know what you meant with the question though, so i'd chose the life of a eunuch in one of those eastern courts. bribe my way through the medical procedure, and live the idyllic life in the harem. nobody kills the eunuchs. peasants die of starvation and warriors die of combat and lords die of assassination, but nobody kills the eunuchs.

djsway
01-04-2005, 23:52
peasent live a safe life?

if the lord ain't knocking up your misses on her wedding night, you might get conscripted or have to 'volunteer' the manual labor for his castle or die from any old disease since medicine is way too expensive for the likes of you, who knows you might reach the ripe old age of thirty.

i know what you meant with the question though, so i'd chose the life of a eunuch in one of those eastern courts. bribe my way through the medical procedure, and live the idyllic life in the harem. nobody kills the eunuchs. peasants die of starvation and warriors die of combat and lords die of assassination, but nobody kills the eunuchs.

What's an eunuchs?

drone
01-05-2005, 00:13
A eunuch is a castrated male. They were used to guard harems and similiar collections of females, as they could be trusted not to be tempted. Unless, of course, they bribed their way through the medical procedure....

djsway
01-05-2005, 00:55
A eunuch is a castrated male. They were used to guard harems and similiar collections of females, as they could be trusted not to be tempted. Unless, of course, they bribed their way through the medical procedure....

Ouch! You better hope ou can bribe your way or else :stars:

Somebody Else
01-05-2005, 01:01
Eunuchs - very worrying things. They weren't exempt from being killed either. They had a habit of trying to be the power behind the throne, usually succeeded too - they could be single-minded about it at least.

Proletariat
01-05-2005, 06:19
I'd prolly go with Sacred Band cavalry, if they'd let in a female of course. Otherwise I guess I'd have to go with Head Hunting Maidens, due to recruiting restrictions. ~;)

Akka
01-05-2005, 07:12
Roman patrician or Greek merchant.

A rich estate and plenty of female slaves to do the housework - ALL the housework :evilgrin:

Proletariat
01-05-2005, 07:25
Roman patrician or Greek merchant.

A rich estate and plenty of female slaves to do the housework - ALL the housework :evilgrin:

Okay, I change my answer. Anything Amazonian.

Kraxis
01-05-2005, 14:00
I think I would be a nice Persian cavalryman or horse archer... I would stay away from melee as much as possible.

Basileus
01-05-2005, 14:05
A student/philosopher at the lyceum in athens with aristotle.

SwordsMaster
01-05-2005, 14:07
I cant decide.
Captain of a Quinquirreme, I think. Land is good, but sea is better.

I think I would be Carthaginian or Roman. I know its a bit of a opposite, but hey.

My second choice would have been Praetorian cavalryman.

Akka
01-05-2005, 14:46
Okay, I change my answer. Anything Amazonian.
Now that you make me think about it...
I'll be sure to buy a bulk of amazonians captive for my slave housework :evilgrin:

Crownsteler
01-05-2005, 23:09
Hhhmmmm, definatly Sacred Band Cavalry during the second punic war :D
There are either 2 things which can happen, either your send of with Hannibal, one of the few generals you can be sure off not to trow your life away, and he loved his cavalry, so chances are, I live :D The other possibility is that you aren't sent along with Hannibal and you have to remain at the temple and prouncing around a bit on your beautiful horse and armor and attracting all the beautiful young girls...

oh, and don't forget about that you probally join in the fun of holy prostitution with the temple virgins too :D

And did i mention you are very rich too??
Definatly the place I'd like to make my career :D

One place I definatly wouldn't want to be is any roman legion during the second punic war :P That just doesn't sound like a good place to make a career for yourself :P

IrishMike
01-05-2005, 23:16
Leader of the Spartan Hopolites. Sounds like a good job. I would spread the word around greece how to beat the romans, then lead the invasion of rome, and win. Then become king.

master of the puppets
01-06-2005, 01:36
spartan for the respect and fear ~:eek:
urban cohort for the power and skill :duel:
assasin for the shear fun of it ~:cheers:
an elephant driver for nice squishing sound ~D
a general for the command and authority :charge:
and with any of those the ability to die with honor :knight:

master of the puppets
01-06-2005, 01:43
to say "i'd kill for some food" and mean it

HORRAY I FOUND WHERE THE REST OF THE SMILEYS ARE :hide: :inquisitive: :juggle2: :laugh4: :wall: :whip: :egypt: :evilgrin: :devilish: :jester: :alien: :stunned: :smartass: :smartass2: WHAHOOO

Oaty
01-06-2005, 22:32
A high ranking generals body slave. Not a Greek general though.

Proletariat
01-06-2005, 22:40
Now that you make me think about it...
I'll be sure to buy a bulk of amazonians captive for my slave housework :evilgrin:
:blankg: One day I'll forced to join this idiotic feminist movement. Thanks, Akka! :eeeek:

Akka
01-07-2005, 02:06
:blankg: One day I'll forced to join this idiotic feminist movement. Thanks, Akka! :eeeek:
Well, you know, there also were male slave and female slave owner at the time ^^

Epistolary Richard
01-07-2005, 14:23
It would be the Cataphract Camels for me... they're so far up the tech tree that I'd never be built!

Or maybe join up as one of the bodyguard of a family member who's such a good administrator that they're never risked in battle and left to govern one of the major cities.

Shadow
01-07-2005, 18:24
I think I will be a Cataphract archer (don’t like hand to hand) or a mercenary captain of some kind. :charge:

EGO
01-08-2005, 00:27
I'm thinking I'd want to be one of the Roman Wardog handlers. You just let the dogs go and then run off the battlefield. When the next battle comes along you'll have your dogs back ~D

Khorak
01-08-2005, 03:10
"Seleucid dude in the howdah of an Armoured War Elephant."

Survival is almost gauranteed.