PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newb Question

MadSpazz
01-05-2005, 00:13
I looked throughout the manual and I cant figure out how to move my whole army in the formation, durring the battle. Thanks you for putting up with the silly question.

IrishMike
01-05-2005, 00:16
If me memory serves me right...... it should be ctrl+A. That should do it.

Welcome to the Guild MadSpazz. Hope your stay is enlightening and enjoyable.

Somebody Else
01-05-2005, 01:01
Hold alt down as well - that seems to help.

Fridge
01-05-2005, 18:22
Ctrl-A to select all your troops, and then just click where you want your army to go.. but... it can be awkward when you have large armies, especially in a long battle line. If you want them to move in a straight line, click ahead of them exactly in the centre, and hold space while you do it - while you hold space down you can see where all your units will end up wonce they've finished their maneuvers. If you click anywhere off the centre line when you move your army, you can see they'll end up at some weird angle. If you want to move them at an angle, either rotate them using < and > and then move them forward, or do what I do: Select, say, your infantry (Ctrl-I) and then use right click and drag to place them where you want them, then holding space, you can see where they're going to end up and you can (stil holding space) arrange the rest of your army around them (id you have to move the whole army, it can be useful to pause until you get used to it), and let them march into position. Remember: the space bar is your friend!

Didz
01-05-2005, 20:04
Couple of other points.

1) If you are not sure that your army is going whewre you want it to go, try pressing down the spacebar. This normally displays markers showing the destination of your unit(s).

2) As a general principle if you select more than one unit (or all of them) then they will move where you tell them to but retain the relative position they held to each other when selected. This can actually be a problem if you don't want them to, but it sounds like you do.

CTRL+M will select all missile troops.
CTRL+C will select all cavalry (including elephants etc)
CTRL+H all hand-to-hand troops.
CTRL+[Unit] All units of that type.
CTRL+A all the Army

These are the way I normally control my army rather than using groups which can cause problems.

Clicking the shield symbol can also be useful as it tells a unit to defend its current location. I find this useful with skirmishers as if they get driven off by the enemy they normally wander back later and resume their original position. Which avoids a lot of phaffing about collecting them.

Zorn
01-06-2005, 00:49
If you have assinged a couple of units to a group, a new icon appears at the right bottom.
Clickin on it will open a menu from which you can chose a couple of formation for your army.
http://www.zorns-kleine-farm.de/bilder/formations.jpg

djsway
01-06-2005, 01:44
Do you guys use different formations? I always use the same one, strongest infantry in middle, flanked by fast moving troops ie cavalry then archers in front or side.

Didz
01-06-2005, 02:26
Do you guys use different formations? I always use the same one, strongest infantry in middle, flanked by fast moving troops ie cavalry then archers in front or side.

The more or less standard formation I use is pikemen in the centre, axemen protecting both flanks, skirmishers screening the front.

Cavalry covering both ends of the line (unless one or both are covered by impassible terrain) Chariots and Elephants behind the cavalry on each flank.

However, this formation has to be varied if the enemy army has a lot of archers by pushing the archers further forward with close cavalry support.

KiOwA
01-06-2005, 03:27
If you can field elephants, I find that putting them in the center on the front line works reasonably well, if you can get flanking calvary or infantry on the sides (or behind the elephants, in a pinch). The elephants break enemy formations and throw some troops about, while your other troops rush in, taking advantage of the confusion, and proceed to tear the enemy apart.