PDA

View Full Version : wats fav cavalry unit?

bones58
01-05-2005, 22:01
mines is sacred band cavalry wat urs?,

Uesugi Kenshin
01-06-2005, 04:25
I love the Seluecid Companions, they look cooler than Macedonian companions but mainly I like them for their huge charge bonus and loyal service to me during the great wars of ascension. They were not the backbone of my army but the allowed even my worst phalanx troops to be used in large battles against post Marius Rome. Militia hoplites have a use! A buffer to allow flanking attacks!

KiOwA
01-06-2005, 06:47
Cataphracts, without a doubt. Great armour & charge, they tend to ride roughshod over almost anything in a charge. Plus, they only require level 3 stables to re-train, whereas companions need level 4

Somebody Else
01-06-2005, 09:13
War elephants. They still count don't they? And they do scramble pretty much any formation - so that the follow-up by pretty much any other cavalry will devestate the enemy force. If it's enemy cavalry - the elephants can deal with them themselves - they just seem to find infantry a little too small to gore effectively.

acheronsbane
01-06-2005, 09:47
yup, it's all right there, war elephants (heavy cavalry). i just use them for the archers, anyway, hehehe. an enemy army facing me usually collapses before my elephants do their thing. so there up most of the time mostly for the archers. playing carthage, which don't have any archer units, doesn't really give me opportunity to practice missile tactics. so elephants hone my skills. hurray for the elephants.

Sinner
01-06-2005, 11:08
I'm getting to really like the Armenian Cataphract Archers. You get all the usual horse archer goodness and in addition their high armour makes them great for archer duels, able to outshoot even elite foot archers even without forming a Cantabrian circle. The same armour and their strong secondary attack also allows them to fight well in close combat, often better than many melee-only cavalry types. On top of all that, they're only tier 2 and very cheap to maintain, offsetting their 2 turn build time and expensive purchase price.