PDA

View Full Version : Anybody miss the Early/High/Late Stages?

Swordsman
01-06-2005, 03:02
I wish RTW had the above like MTW does. I pretty much always play "High" campaigns in MTW, and I find in RTW that by the time I reach the Reforms to get the advanced units I'm either on the verge of winning or hopelessly behind. Just never really get to put those cool new units to a real test. Would be nice to have at least one other stage just as the reforms happen, with an appropriate historical redistribution of provinces/forces. Think it would add a nice wrinkle to the game. :duel:

KiOwA
01-06-2005, 03:16
Would also be nice to have it apply to all factions, not just the Romans. Evolution of standing armies would definitely freshen up the battle situation and also give the player something to work forward to.

Claudius the God
01-06-2005, 04:15
it'll probably be something that will be added for the expansion set so that you can start at the first years of the roman empire

soibean
01-06-2005, 05:09
yea I miss those times
like Kiowa said it did add some spice to the game
and more variety

Red Harvest
01-06-2005, 06:12
Yes, very much miss the different periods. Right now certain aspects of the game cover a roughly 500 yr period...all at the same time. I would like to see some shake ups to many factions. Everyone would start with weaker archers, weaker cav, better javelin, vanilla slingers with slightly more range (perhaps about the same or slightly less hitting power.) Elite archers would not appear until later except for specific mercs (still toned down in hitting power.) Archery would improve in range and hitting power (but less than what we have now...)

I would like to see a more detailed Early Republic Italian peninsula campaign with about twice the scale (so 4x as much "granularity" in Italian map.) Etruscans, Samnites, Lucanians, Epirus, Campanians, Gauls, etc.

Next would be current campaign (with changes described before.) After that would be the post-Punic Marian period.

Fall of Rome would probably be separate expansion pack.

Proletariat
01-06-2005, 06:43
I got so sick of this after three or four campaigns I just modded the build times for the required buildings way down. It's not perfect, but I can actually use the Seleucid Companion Cav before the game is over.

Parmenio
01-06-2005, 10:03
Addition of different start dates would be great.

metatron
01-06-2005, 10:51
Yes, and I went back to MTW. :P

Arkatreides
01-06-2005, 14:27
Well, this can actually be done without too much hassle - well, maybe it will take a day or so.

Simply create a new provincial campaign and make sure you upgrade all the provinces there (or even give them to different factions). All that's needed for the romans to have advanced (i.e. post Marius) units is the Imperial Palace in one province. That way you can start straight away.

Mikeus Caesar
01-06-2005, 19:37
I would love to see that. On MTW, by having early, high and late stages, you essentially had 3 games in 1, because each one could have a totally different outcome.

Puzz3D
01-06-2005, 20:55
Lack of selectable eras has also hurt multiplayer. The best units are always available now, and you cannot use a mod without a stat swapper. In MTW, mods could be added as new eras without swapping stats as long as you didn't change the projectiles.txt file. It would have been even better if MTW had supported separate projectile files for each era as well.

GreatOne
01-07-2005, 04:59
Yeah I miss MTW for that AND the MAP EDITOR!! Hopefully in the next RTW patch one will be available and have some really cool stuff with it.....

Don't you guys hate it when the ai controlled general comes as reinforcements and just :charge: , lose his life and gets his army dismantled?

Swordsman
01-07-2005, 05:25
Arkatreides,
That's a good idea. I could pretty much do that easily in MTW (and have messed around a lot with mods), but must say I find modding RTW a whole different animal. Guess I just haven't had the time to learn the new process. But ya never know-- one day I just may get the time/motivation...

Mikeus Caesar
01-09-2005, 14:45
the MAP EDITOR!!

From what i know, there was going to be a map editor, but for some unknown reason they didn't bother including it in the actual game. I think they just hid the unfinished map editor files somewhere deep in the game's files.

dismal
01-10-2005, 18:29
Well, I'm gonna break the trend and say I prefer the unit rosters to be fairly simple.

I'd rather have the challenge of winning with relatively balanced armies technologically. (Some games take this to an extreme and you end up with tanks against spearmen)

Ideally the game would force you into a relatively realistic spear/sword/archer/cav chess match.

I do like the experience bonuses.

sunsmountain
01-10-2005, 18:43
No, but none of my campaigns go beyond 200 BC. I usually pause my expansion to incorporate the marian reform units with 2 or 3 xp and silver/golden weapons, mainly the legionares and 2 or 3 urban cohorts for morale points (flanks, center).

I usually trigger the marian reforms myself with a lvl 5 government building, and as far as i'm concerned, they can toss out the 2nd and 1st century altogether. Not very historical i know, but i dont need them.

So what was this question about starting later? Doing the same things with a different counter in the bottom right corner? For historical flavor, perhaps. That archimedean screw does get boring after a while, as does the egyptian glass.

But for game purposes, no, i'm pretty happy with the present tech tree and speed. If only the AI would grow its cities to level 5 more, and not just in Egypt. Epic walls make for great sieges, if only the siege AI and pathfinding was less frustrating.

Mmm... medieval does start to look tempting..

Colovion
01-10-2005, 18:53
I find that RTW lacks the depth of MTW.

Possibly because of the many many inventions in military means during the Midieval Era and in the Roman Era anything that is invented by anyone is Roman.

It's strange that something as subtle as that could take away from the depth and gameplay of RTW.

KiOwA
01-11-2005, 02:21
The Greeks did contribute many inventions to history, though, and many of the barbarian nations utilized calvary to an extent that the Romans were not able to grasp.

master of the puppets
01-11-2005, 02:59
far better than the very forum of the senate this forum is.
so many old men gabbing and complaining but none with enough balls to lead the troops themselves.
is there any way to send an email to the RTW creators? make suggestions? i would LOVE a map creator, to build a small valley with cliffs on each side. defending that valley about 10 units of spartan hoplites, attacking 20 units of persian infantry, and reinforcements of heavy cavalry.
but still is there any place to voice our opinions to these creators? :help:

sunsmountain
01-14-2005, 15:04
No, master of puppets, we cannot force them to give us Map Editors, Battle Editors, etc. But we can start polls in forums and put them under pressure that way. Good idea, im going to start 1 on each of the 3 sites.