PDA

View Full Version : Offer to attack Faction

Justus II
01-06-2005, 22:25
I have a question on Diplomacy, specifically the offer to attack a faction. I've searched for any answers (including in the excelent Diplomacy guide), but I can't find a good answer for my situation.

Playing as the Julii, I will frequently approach my Roman brothers (who seem to have more money than they know what to do with), and can usually get them to pay a decent sum (2,000-3,000 denarii) if I offer to attack a faction. I generally choose Gaul (since we are at war anyway) or Rebels (if there are some nearby, or I am ready to take a rebel city). They seem more than happy to pay me for the assistance against our common foe.

However, within a few turns, I get the 'Transgression' message (accompanied by the sound of a cracking whip!), for not dealing with them honestly. After several instances, I eventually got a message from SPQR that they no longer desired my help against ANY of their enemies, thank you.

Now, I've always offered to attack factions that I am at war with (and that they are at war with also), and try to be sure to attack at least one stack of that faction within the next 2-3 turns. At least once, I was besieging a city, maybe that didn't count?

I'm confused why they think I am breaking promises. At first, I thought maybe it was a problem of approaching the same faction with offers to attack two different factions (Rebels AND Gauls, for example), but that doesn't seem to be it. Or is it because I approach two different factions (say SPQR and Brutii) with the same offer? (I especially like to do this if I get a Senate mission to attack Caralis, for example, and get SPQR, Brutii, and Scipii to pay me for attacking Carthage the turn before I attack. It's a big income boost early on, when I need the money).

Or are they just catching on to the fact that they are paying me for attacks I was going to carry out anyway? ;)

Any help, or references, would be greatly appreciated.

Oaty
01-07-2005, 00:05
Transgression was progammed in to tell you to quit leeching off of the A.I. and once you get that message you have less options with your diplomat, not there is a whole lot you can use with the A.I.

Kraxis
01-07-2005, 02:27
I'm partly with oaty here... chances are that the game doesn't consider attacking factions you are at war with as a way to fulfill your duty. It might be a glitch or bug, but it shouldn't happen if you offer to attack a faction you are not at war with (such as Carthage just after the Caralis mission when you are not at war but it is inevitable).

drone
01-07-2005, 03:47
Maybe it requires a diplomatic transition, from peace/allied/neutral to war, to register as an attack, thus fulfilling the agreement.