PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve a ceasefire?

Arkatreides
01-07-2005, 01:43
I was playing as the Egyptians, happily and slowly expanding until I took a city in Greece which the Brutii subsequently took. I was then at war with them and obviously the other 3 roman factions. The problem is, no matter what I do, I cannot get them to sign a ceasefire. I beat the Brutii all the way back to Italy and within 1 city of them being annihilated and they still refuse a ceasefire. I even offered to give them all their settlements back in return but still no luck.

Is it impossible to stop war against the roman factions once it has begun? :help:

Uesugi Kenshin
01-07-2005, 03:36
The Romans are impetuos: We beat the Samnites and Etruscans, Egypt is nothing!

My form of ceasefire is take all cities but Rome, leave Rome so it will rebel kill most of the rebels, take settlement when ready to end the campaign.

Arkatreides
01-07-2005, 10:51
Yeah, well, I COULD beat them but I don't really want to. It's only like 200BC and I am still building up my cities in the East and have no intention to conquer all the roman cities yet. All I want is a bit of peace.

derF
01-07-2005, 11:06
All i can say is that its probably a bug or stupid AI. Anyone beaten back to just one city would accept a ceasefire.

The Stranger
01-07-2005, 17:05
if you got loads of money then send an missionary to each roman family and offer them ceasefire for something like 100,000 for 10 turns long after they accept it cancel the payment be shure that you've done all bussiness before doind this cancel payment because the dont want to talk with you for the rest of the turn

Byzantine Prince
01-07-2005, 17:11
The real reason you can't get a ceasefire is because Rome is divided up in the game. It's actually one faction split into 3 so to get one of them to ceasefire while another is still at war with you is impossible.

Daan
01-07-2005, 17:12
when i played with Carthage i had wa with the Romans to early :S but i conquered whole of sicily and then allied with them (somehow).... although they had all of they're army near my cities :S

Red Harvest
01-07-2005, 18:13
It is the Senate "attitude" towards your faction that is probably the issue. (That and arranging ceasefires with 4 factions at once.) Historically, this tenacity is a fairly accurate representation of Rome during the Republican era. Once Rome determined you were a mortal enemy, they were unlikely to accept a ceasefire until *you* surrendered. The Carthaginians discovered this after whipping Roman armies in major battles in the 1st and 2nd Punic Wars. They expected to negotiate a settlement, but Rome wouldn't even consider negotiation, let alone a ceasefire.

Ptah
01-08-2005, 01:50
The Romans never stop, never surrender.

As for other factions, usually showing them that you are clearly superior to them works. The AI may not be very smart, but it does seem to have a clear set of internal reasoning which determines whom to be allies with or not.

Lay seige to one city, threaten them into ceasefire. If they refuse, conquer that city and pillage it to the ground. Then, negotiate return of the city(if they refuse every terms, just give them back as a gift). Move to the next city, lay seige, threaten for a ceasefire. If does not work, repeat the above steps. Usually, after smiting about 3~4 of their cities, they get the picture and grovel under your feet.

Or, sometimes they have a deathwish - in this case, make a trip to all their cities and loot and pillage. It's like going to the bank. By the time you've looted all their cities you've amassed probably more than 30k denarii. And then, coax them into a ceasefire by offering the money you've looted from them. Usually 20~30k does the trick. Works like a charm.

Now, in some cases they still refuse to ceasfire.

In these cases, sometimes giving them time works. When somehow you are at war with a faction really far away(like, due to the stupidity of random port blockades), if there hasn't been actual military clash for many years, even decades, you can get a ceasfire easily.

Other times, some factions refuse to ceasefire or ally with you because their interest lies in the same area as yours. If you show them you will not tolerate incursion, they get the picture and agree for a ceasefire and/or alliance.

Like, for instance, I was playing the Seleucids. I've been trying to get an alliance with the Parthians for a long time, but they refused everytime. After a few years, the usual "Seleucids vs the World" scenario broke out. The Ponthids betrayed the alliance and started attacking, and the Ptolemaics and Parthians also started attacking at the same time. So I smacked the Ponthids and destroyed their faction. And then attacked the Ptolemaics and gained two cities, and set a strong defense line. Now, it was time to deal with the Parthians. But I've sent a diplomat first. Well what do you know, they must have seen what we can do to others. They agreed for a ceasefire, and an alliance, too.

Sometimes, RTW diplomacy weirdly makes sense.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-08-2005, 04:29
I do not bother wth diplomacy because Rome is a magnet to me, I always assault it early and take its greatness for my own, when at war with Rome few people will ally you. Who cares allies are overrated and right now my Hellenic superiority is obvious, because the great state of Sparta is fighting: Britanny, Gaul, Scythia, Numidia and Egypt all at the same time.