PDA

View Full Version : Whats EB's take on Epic and Large walls?

lt1956
01-08-2005, 18:34
Do they feel that these 2 walls border on unrealistic? Will they be in or out of the coming mod?

Also since onagers are not realistic for that time period which siege weapons are planned on? I got the Ballistas to fire Rocks, but the rocks are little too big ro the siege unit is a little too small. But it works great.

I'm just curious I always felt the Epic walls are fantasy, I'm sure there may have been some walls out there High enough, but on Average would you say Stone wall is the most accurate?

Lt

khelvan
01-08-2005, 19:43
Our siege equipment/artillery has not been fully defined yet. Onagers are definitely out.

On the walls, I am not the right person to ask.

lt1956
01-08-2005, 19:58
I'm sure you one of your team already has Ballista's throwing stones, but if not I can send you the changes to have them do so. About the only thing that needs to be done is a Modeler to make a smaller Boulder for the Ballista's.

As to the walls, who the guy! lol ~:)

I was just taking a look at the walls the other day and they do look LARGE. the stone wall looks good realistic but the Epic is totally over the top, but I'm not sure about the Large stone wall. I dont like the idea of No ladder walls, I feel thats kinda unrealistic, I know some walls were large, but on average I can't see the height factor. Even CA removed the Epic from the Greeks.

Lt

P.S. Funny how CA didnt make a realistic small Onager, but almost a Trebuchet. lol

Wikingus
01-08-2005, 21:35
The funniest thing for me is when playing a quick battle on the Rome map...the Epic walls looks ridicilous considering the time frame of about 270 BC :)

Keba
01-12-2005, 10:39
I'd say Epic stone walls are too much, but perhaps Large stone walls should be avaible to some of the civilizations that were old when Rome begins, that would be the Greeks, Carthage, Egypt and maybe one or two others.

Just my opinion here.

Byzantine Prince
01-12-2005, 16:01
Lol that's basically every one that already has it.

They are not too much. Rome's wall was Epic.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-12-2005, 17:59
Lol that's basically every one that already has it.

They are not too much. Rome's wall was Epic.You're mistaken given the timeframe of the 270BC-14AD. Rome only started to have really impressive "epic" wall defenses in the Late Empire. In fact, during quite some time, Rome wasn't a city known for exceptional hability to resist sieges. Do you forget that Rome was sacked by the Gauls in 378BC?

Urnamma
01-12-2005, 19:44
I've been thinking along these lines for a while.. We might just see a solution to this in the near future.

lt1956
01-12-2005, 22:33
Simple way is what I did, Remove Large stone and Epic walls from Factions and give the Senate the ability to build them, Therefore Rome will have its Epic walls over time. I also adjusted the game dates to 220BC-220AD. Seems more fitting for the game than 270bc. Anyone agree?

Byzantine Prince
01-12-2005, 22:47
You're mistaken given the timeframe of the 270BC-14AD. Rome only started to have really impressive "epic" wall defenses in the Late Empire. In fact, during quite some time, Rome wasn't a city known for exceptional hability to resist sieges. Do you forget that Rome was sacked by the Gauls in 378BC?

Yes know it was sacked. But right after it was sacked they statrted developing impressive walls. Plus you are onyl able to get the epic walls in around 180 BC. That doesn't sound so bad.

Also another thing. During the late Empire (I supose you mean around 500 BC) Rome was in dissarray so they didn't really build anything new. They simply could not afford it after paying all the barbarians to stay out of gaul and italy.

Meneldil
01-12-2005, 22:48
I think EB will start in 300BC. I'm not sure about that of course, so you'd better wait for an official answer ~D

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-12-2005, 23:05
I think EB will start in 300BC. I'm not sure about that of course, so you'd better wait for an official answer ~DHere is the official answer: ~3rd century BC > ~1st century AD :joker:

Shigawire
01-14-2005, 14:05
Also another thing. During the late Empire (I supose you mean around 500 BC) Rome was in dissarray so they didn't really build anything new.

Woot?

No. First, Rome wasn't an empire in 500 BC. That's "early", not "late".
In 500 BC, it was a mudhole like many other places.
Late Roman empire means precisely that: LATE. Meaning, lat-er. 14 AD is latER than 500 BC. 500 BC is earliER than 14 AD.

Rome didn't have "epic" walls until the imperial times of the Caesar Augustans and other emperors. Till then, they had regular and large stone walls.

It is said that Tyre had huge walls when Alexander besieged it and took it with some very large siege-towers. Though this is sure to have been exaggerated.

c00lizz
01-14-2005, 20:52
Rome's first set of walls was the royal walls that is belived to have built by Servio Tullio (half of VI century b.C.). These were the walls that failed to stop the Galliums in 390BC that sacked the city of Rome and set it on fire.

During the Republican age, ca. 378BC a new set of walls was created, the Serviane Walls. These stood with a with a height of ten metres, four metres thick and stretched nearly eleven kilometres.

The next major improvement in the defence of Rome was in 271AD during the augustea age when the Aureliane Walls which were finished in a amazingly short time, only four years. They stood 6-8 metres tall with a thickness of about three and a half metre. They stretched for about 19 kilometres to accomodate the ever growing city of Rome.

The next major changes happend in 401AD when the Aureliane Walls was modified to accomodate new siege techniques but that is well out of the timeframe.

Ellesthyan
01-15-2005, 01:20
Yes know it was sacked. But right after it was sacked they statrted developing impressive walls. Plus you are onyl able to get the epic walls in around 180 BC. That doesn't sound so bad.

Also another thing. During the late Empire (I supose you mean around 500 BC) Rome was in dissarray so they didn't really build anything new. They simply could not afford it after paying all the barbarians to stay out of gaul and italy.

Bull. If there was ever a time that the Empire saw need to build the most epic fortresses they could make, it would be in the late era. I point simply at the walls of Constantinople, and I assume I've said enough. You call yourself Byzantine_Prince, but I don't think that is appropiate.