PDA

View Full Version : Garrisons

MadSpazz
01-09-2005, 08:51
I was wondering what kind of troops you guys usually leave in your main towns, like the ones where you begin, and also the towns that you just conquer and are on the edges of your empires. If at all possible, if they are a non-Roman faction , could you tell me there Roman equivilents. Thanks.

daneboy
01-09-2005, 09:42
I have townwatch in my initial cities, the good stuff in the cities on my outer border. Also I have strategically based fortification on my homeland with kickass armies, so that I can swifftly meet a challenge. Mostly without generals, unless the have become so corrupt that they are worth to use for figthing. Lots of artillery and caverlery. That´s my figthing style and of course a few very deccent infantery units.

Also, a diplomat or 2 based so that they can meet an invading army and bribe them, should I decide to march on enemy homelands instead of beating the crap out their invading hordes.

It is important not to leave areas to exposed and unprotected in the event of invasions or brigands.

Blitz
01-09-2005, 10:12
wat does peasant do in ur city? does it affect the city happiness?

FURRY_BOOTS
01-09-2005, 12:46
in my juili campaign, i had one full stack army that slowly went north, as i conqured a settlement i would destroy everything i could, enslaved the populace, put 1 governer & 1/2 units of town watch, this works for every settlement, ie no rebellion, also send units back & forth to be retrained, this way you only need 1 full stack army , much cheapness! i also like to have governers in every settlement, i either wait for them or i bribe them,
works for me ~D

Dutch_guy
01-09-2005, 16:43
I agree with FURRY BOOTS, but I wouldn't put in my governor because I would take him to battle, to make him get command stars.sometimes I leave them in but only if the chance of revolt is high.
also the 1 full stack army works really good, I have 2 full army's btw, one taking over the north Gaul, Briton ( not their homeland of engeland, just their part in Europe )and later ,when briton is destroyed, germania.
the other army goes south west to spain
in my town and city's in Italy I leave town watch, and in my far away settlements I leave townwatch ( 3 units ) and sometimes in settlements at risk of attack I leave 3 townwatch and 1/2 hastati.
you can of course use peasants insted of town watch but on huge unit scale it really drains the populace which keeps you from training the normal fighting soldiers

KiOwA
01-09-2005, 17:45
They should really make those elite units have a bigger effect on public order than say, peasants. For example, Arcani could add a law bonus too, but this kind of thing would have to be capped somewhere.

GFX707
01-09-2005, 21:26
in my juili campaign, i had one full stack army that slowly went north, as i conqured a settlement i would destroy everything i could, enslaved the populace, put 1 governer & 1/2 units of town watch, this works for every settlement, ie no rebellion, also send units back & forth to be retrained, this way you only need 1 full stack army , much cheapness! i also like to have governers in every settlement, i either wait for them or i bribe them,
works for me ~D

Why destroy EVERYTHING? I thought just temples and that sort of thing? Faction/culture specific type stuff?

Kraxis
01-09-2005, 21:51
You need not destroy everything, but you need your buildings in place of the local ones (unless your enemy is of the same culture). Temples should in fact be destroyed last as they often add rather substantial bonusses (+10% happiness and +10% law is not good to lose if you run around with 85% happiness). Shrines should of course be destroyed when you like it to, but never forget that most buildings can be upgraded into your own type of building, even temples (though that requires that you read the temple guide to determine which temples are compatible).

R3dD0g
01-09-2005, 22:20
In M:TW it was proven that the type of garrison troops didn't matter, only their unit presence. And I believe the same holds for R:TW. So, in theory, peasants are just as good at garrison duty as Urban Cohorts.

In practical matters though, I normally have next to top line infantry (Principe, Early Legionary Cohort) following behind my conquering army stack and a horde of Townwatch behind them. So, my frontier is primarily high level infantry while the interior is entirely Townwatch.