PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Modders

hoggy
01-09-2005, 10:40
My plan on starting Blue Lotus has always been to get a head start on the art side and then expand to a team later on once the basic themes were laid out. The amount of work involved in modding this project is huge and getting bigger and as such I could really use some help with the modding of text files and the campaign map. With more people on board I can concentrate on the art side and as a team we can get a really good mod.

To start with I’m after just one person to implement the new Asia campaign map and mod the base of the Blue Lotus mod. This is not a small job, it’s essentially the backbone of the whole mod and involves changing a lot of files. Ideally someone with modding experience, someone with the time to devote to this project and an interest in it and preferably someone who is up for becoming a permanent fixture. Later on we can sort out a work plan and get more people on board but for now we just need to get the basic campaign working.

Please PM me with details if you’re interested.
Many thanks - hoggy

edit - blindfaithnogod has got this job in hand.

Raziaar
01-09-2005, 13:49
I think you'll find more help than you could hope for Hoggy. The attention your mod has been getting, is bound to attract both experienced, and not so experienced people(who want to help in any way they can).

I hope you find the help you need, and get this mod finished in a time frame you desire!

Big_John
01-09-2005, 21:21
hey raziaar, are you the raziaar on the hl2.net forums? just curious..

Myrddraal
01-10-2005, 20:42
Hoggy, I would love to help, but you make it sound onerous. I can't commit myself full time, I've got to stay loyal to the Wheel of Time mod.

Raziaar
01-11-2005, 07:14
hey raziaar, are you the raziaar on the hl2.net forums? just curious..

Yes I am. I am the only Raziaar ever in existance.

Big_John
01-11-2005, 08:36
Yes I am. I am the only Raziaar ever in existance.sounds lonely.. i used to hang about those forums, but you wouldn't recognize me unless you are mad genius or some kind of maniac space alien telepath.

Myrddraal
01-13-2005, 14:20
Hoggy, do you want me to do what I can...

hoggy
01-13-2005, 16:10
cheers Myddraal, i know you're a bit swamped already with Wheel of Time and forum moderating. If I could ask you for bits of help later that would be good. the main thing i need doing at the mo is the campmap and it's too big a job to ask you to take on. many thanks for the offer though. :bow:

hoggy
01-15-2005, 12:12
Wanted
It looks like we may have found someone to work on the campaign map so look forward to seeing updates on his work in future. Here are some other tasks we could do with volunteers for. If you fancy taking them on please post here and we’ll allocate as we go along.

http://www.awrate.com/chrishogg/images/portrait.jpg
Portraits – (ideally someone with photoshop or psp) we need to replace the existing portraits in game. They will be images off the net or scanned in (no photos, just coloured artwork) and I’m hoping to get as many people to contribute as possible. We could do with one person though to coordinate and mod them in.

Quotes – we’ll be replacing the quotes in quotes.txt with suitably sourced quotes. I’ve made a start on this adding more Confucius and Sun Tzu etc. but we could do with more. Ideally again, we could have one person coordinating contributions etc.

More to come hope you can help.

Raziaar
01-15-2005, 12:16
Wanted
It looks like we may have found someone to work on the campaign map so look forward to seeing updates on his work in future. Here are some other tasks we could do with volunteers for. If you fancy taking them on please post here and we’ll allocate as we go along.

http://www.awrate.com/chrishogg/images/portrait.jpg
Portraits – (ideally someone with photoshop or psp) we need to replace the existing portraits in game. They will be images off the net or scanned in (no photos, just coloured artwork) and I’m hoping to get as many people to contribute as possible. We could do with one person though to coordinate and mod them in.

Quotes – we’ll be replacing the quotes in quotes.txt with suitably sourced quotes. I’ve made a start on this adding more Confucius and Sun Tzu etc. but we could do with more. Ideally again, we could have one person coordinating contributions etc.

More to come hope you can help.

For portraits, if we could find somebody to draw them, it would be nice, since consistency on the design of the portraits rather than a bunch of random ones would lend alot to the 'professional' appearance of the mod.

Al Khalifah
01-15-2005, 13:01
Some of my personal Sun Tzu favorites are:

All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him.
Appraise war in terms of the fundamental factors. The first of these factors is moral influence.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

I wonder if he meant bribe the enemies armies to disband to the fields with the fourth one. he he.

A good source of intelligent quotes would be the Shogun: Total War CD. That had lots of ones taken from other sources but sadly didn't acknowledge them (the ones that played when you clicked on your adviser in the throne room). I'd list some but my Shogun CDs are MIA.

Lief
01-15-2005, 19:10
Hoggy, this kind of has to do with portraits, but are you going to put your concept art into the game for the 2d unit pictures that you see when you call up their information? That would really be cool.

Bulten
01-15-2005, 23:49
If you have not already found someone I would be happy to help out with stuff that doesn't require 3ds max skills and stuff.. (i'm still a 3ddesigner rookie :P) Those portraits or unit/building description and stuff.. :bow:

Bulten
01-16-2005, 00:12
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload3/portrait.jpg

Sheep
01-24-2005, 14:39

I'd be happy to help make up quotes from famous Demon warlords. :)

wilpuri
01-24-2005, 15:29
I thought I'd chip in what little I have to offer, so I will give you some Japanese quotes:

The man whose profession is arms should calm his mind and look into the depths of others. Doing so is likely the best of the martial arts.
Shiba Yoshimasa (1350-1410)

-Without knowledge of Learning, one will ultimately have no military victories.

-One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness.
Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

-No matter whether a person belongs to the upper or lower ranks, if he has not put his life on the line at least once he has cause for shame.
Nabeshima Naoshige (1538-1618)

-Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy.... It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways.

-Students of the Ichi school Way of strategy should train from the start with the sword and long sword in either hand. This is a truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn.

-In strategy your spiritual bearing must not be any different from normal. Both in fighting and in everday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased.

-If the enemy thinks of the mountains, attack like the sea; and if he thinks of the sea, attack like the mountains.
Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

-Anger itself does more harm than the condition which aroused anger.
Samurai Maxim

-The angry man will defeat himself in battle as well as in life.
Samurai Maxim

-Truth exists for the wise, beauty for the feeling heart.
Samurai Maxim

Some Mongol quotes:

"It is not sufficient that I succeed--all others must fail."
-Genghis Khan

"The Greatest Happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you. To see his cities reduced to ashes. To see those who love him shrouded and in tears. And to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters."
-Genghis Khan

"Not even a mighty warrior can brake a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows. As long as you brothers support one another and render assistance to one another, your enemies can never gain the victory over you. But if you fall away from each other your enemy can brake you like frail arrows, one at a time."
-Genghis Khan

hoggy
01-24-2005, 15:49
haha, top stuff. love those mongol quotes! I'm creating a new thread for quotes now to keep them all together I'll paste these in there.

bthizle1
01-26-2005, 07:19
I'd love to hoggy, but I just resigned from modding the TW series since the days of Shogun. I was in charge of the China TW mod you may know of, and did scipting and some skinning, but now I have to quit due to little time. I wish you good luck with this mod though.

hoggy
01-26-2005, 09:47
no problem Bthizle1, thank you for the offer anyway. i think you
definitely deserve the break. ChinaTW looks excellent.