PDA

View Full Version : are they sick or what?

The Stranger
01-11-2005, 19:39
greek cities long campaign in 240bc war broke out with macedon
the started to attack my frontier citt athens my garrion there is always a gouvernor or more 10 hoplite of athens(totalrealism 4.1) greek cavalry and a archer unit thats about 14 unit permanent

and every time they started their assault they got butcherd and now it's 160bc and they already lost 35,000 men and they are sieging right now
when i lost so much men to the same city i would hang myself

did somebody had something like it

Basileus
01-11-2005, 20:41
Thats the AI we have only thing you can do is kill them off heh

Zorn
01-11-2005, 21:00
Once the AI is determined to take a city, it will attack almost every second turn.
Really funny if you like sieges.
during one of my last campaings (I was egypt), I took athens and tarentum.
I had a siege almost every turn. When I finally quit, there must have been hundred thousand dead romans lying at the feet of the walls.
The sad thing is, that if the romans would attack properly, I could never hold those cities. But it just walks in, an stands in front of my towers. Some units use ladders, some a tower, but the bulk of the troops just stands there. After I repelled the first wave, the AI does nthing at all. It just stands there for 5 more minutes, then retreats. Or it even stands in front of my walls until the time runs out.
And not only that, it can even get worse.
I, as carthago, was defending corduba for decades against the gaul and spain.
Corduba has large stone walls. Now, spain comes, with one siege tower (would still win if it would just send everything up that tower, I can`t burn it and only have crap on my walls). When it reaches my walls, the AI retreats.
It has lost around 100 men from my fire, and 2000 on the retreat. Two days later this will repeat.
In field battles, the AI is not great, but decent, with a few weaknesses.
But in sieges, it is just incompetent. It nearly hurts.

The Stranger
01-12-2005, 17:32
indeed in the beginning it was fun seeing my hoplites just kill al those brutii and macedon forces but after a while it is annoying and you can't leave it to auto calc cause then you will loose

rebelscum
01-12-2005, 17:44
I don't even wait for them to seige, if they are standing next to your city, or as soon as they seige, attack and man the walls with archers. The morons still rush the walls.

Es Arkajae
01-12-2005, 18:34
Macedon is already massively handicapped as for some strange reason it keeps building massive amounts of lancers to the exclusion of other units.

Lancers usually make up the bulk of their armies, once I fought their biggest stack and there was only two phalanx units, the other 18 units or so were all lancers. Now lancers may be good in an initial charge but they're absolute crap in melee and go down in large numbers quicker than ten pins.

You can also imagine what effect this has on them in sieges of stone walled cities with so few foot units...