PDA

View Full Version : Usefulness of Command Rating

Azi Tohak
01-12-2005, 06:19
Following "The most important unit buffs?" topic, I am curious about what exactly the command stars do for my generals (aside from look pretty). I understand how everything else works, but I don't know what good it does for me when I am in battle.

If I have the computer auto-resolve I can understand how my 7 star would fare better than my 1 star, but beyond that, its effects baffle me.

To be honest, I would not object to a system like what Shogun had with its command rating.

By the way, this is my first post here in a very long time (I could not remember my old password, hence the new name). So I say 'Hi' to everyone in these great forums.

Thanks,
Azi

chemchok
01-12-2005, 07:11
Those little stars do a whole lot.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=597041&postcount=15

It currently affects both morale and combat ability - we tried it for a while with just morale, but it ended up being not enough of a bonus. The combat calculations have changed so much from Rome to Medieval as to be unrecogniseable, so it's no longer easy to equate stars to experience.

As a rule of thumb it's one point of attack per command rank, up to a maximum of 10, and this can become negative for very bad generals. This combat bonus is applied to all troops under his command on the battlefield. Experience is one point of attack and one point of defense per chevron, plus a morale bonus as well.

The general's command also controls his radius-of-effect, which is set to 30 m + 5 m * command + 2 m * influence. This is used to award morale bonusses to nearby units (in addition to the combat bonus), and when testing which units are affected it tests the distance between the actual general's position and the centre-point of the unit being considered.

Fridge
01-12-2005, 14:00
Jesus! So a unit of peasants under a 10 star general has an attack of about 14? That's quite an effect... Shame the AI generals never live long enough to get more than a star or two.