PDA

View Full Version : Confounded Warring Allies Messages?

Red Harvest
01-12-2005, 07:20
How am I supposed to answer those message boxes that drop down to say:

"Your allies, the Arseclowns, have been attacked by the Armpit Sniffers. Would you like to aid the aggressor in their war."

I've been answering almost randomly and no matter how I answer, the alliance seems to be broken, particularly if I am allied with both (I end up losing my alliance with both.) Is this RTW's version of "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" And what confused individual came up with the wording in those messages? :dizzy2: ~:eek: I miss the MTW dialog box that told you that answering yes would break (or not break) your alliance with the Swarthy_Little_Men_Faction. Also, it sure would be nice if before answering we were allowed to look at the map or the diplomacy screen... of course...only if the the question is a real one rather than rhetorical as it now appears.

Darius
01-12-2005, 07:29
My answer to that question is usually to kill them both because they're causing a message to pop up in regards to the alliance I signed even though I know its not worth the virtual paper it was written on.

Either that or I just pick whomever is farther away. It's much harder for them to betray you when they dont border you. Though I have found that Scythia has yet to break an alliance with me. Most likely because they have to use all their armies to march around for years to kill scattered bandit groups.

Bartman
01-12-2005, 13:09
Also, it sure would be nice if before answering we were allowed to look at the map or the diplomacy screen... of course...only if the the question is a real one rather than rhetorical as it now appears.
Click on the little tiny square in the upper right corner of the message window.
The window will minimize to an icon, and you can do other things before deciding which ally to support.

Sin Qua Non
01-12-2005, 16:51
Big surprise. The amrpit sniffers and arseclowns are always fighting.

Red Harvest
01-12-2005, 17:07
Click on the little tiny square in the upper right corner of the message window.
The window will minimize to an icon, and you can do other things before deciding which ally to support.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time. I knew I couldn't click outside the box.

I wish I had some idea what side I was choosing when I clicked those message boxes. Whether I'm trying to side with my ally against an enemy/neutral or with one ally against another, I never seem to get what I expect.

asearchforreason
01-12-2005, 20:44
I've only ever seen that box appear when I am allied with two factions and they go to war with each other. The game won't allow you to be allied to both sides of the war and makes you choose one or the other. I don't recall the text, but I thought it was clear which group attacked which. I'll have to look more closely next time.

Red Harvest
01-12-2005, 20:54
I've only ever seen that box appear when I am allied with two factions and they go to war with each other. The game won't allow you to be allied to both sides of the war and makes you choose one or the other. I don't recall the text, but I thought it was clear which group attacked which. I'll have to look more closely next time.

It's clear which is attacking, but I don't seem to be staying allied to the group I should based on the message.

dismal
01-12-2005, 21:42
Ha! I've had the same problem. I want to stay allied with one guy, and I end up allied to the other.

My recollections is it says something like: "Our allies the Scythians have launched an aggressive attack the noble Dacians. Do you want to remain allied with these scum?"

From the wording, you'd think the Scythians would be "the scum" in question, but apparently not.

I was going to report the message's wording as a bug, but I thought maybe it was just me not reading carefully enough.

I think MTW used to give you a click box that said something clear like:

__ Stay allied to Germany
__ Stay allied to France

Red Harvest
01-13-2005, 01:51
Yeah, MTW would give you message something like:

"The Italian king has offered the hand of his daughter, ImaNotPrettyButImaFun in marriage to your son, GuntharOfTheBeerGoggles. If you accept this proposal it will break your alliance with the Pope. Do you want to accept this offer?"

I never had any trouble identifying what would happen when I responded in MTW... Of course I could say the same for RTW, I know what is going to happen it is just that I'm 99% certain that what it won't be what I wanted to happen.