PDA

View Full Version : Los

Puppyonastik
01-12-2005, 13:41
At the moment this is past you guys , but it may turn into something possible if our hopes for the patch come though regarding getting our hands in the hardcoded material... The AI for instance.

I've always found it quite ridiculous that in both MTW and RTW, you could be IN a forest and not be seen, but if you are BEHIND a forest and the enemy is on the total other side... magically he can see you and vice versa. (I'm speaking as though this is happening on flat terrain, but if the enemy is on a drastically higher level of land, obviously you both SHOULD be seen.)

Now since were all aiming for historical/realistic accuracy, having such a line of sight system would be appealing and beneficial. (No, I'm not talking about the kind in age of empires and the like where every unit has a set amount of area in which an enemy unit can be spotted. For clarification, I mean having it set so that if there is an object (ie:hill, mountain, building, forest.. whatever) a unit should not be able to view behind it considering its angle.) Especially for the factions and/or players that favor surprise tactics.
:hide:

Since I haven't seen this suggested I decided to spout the idea off here, and let you all take it for a spin.

:barrel:
Cheers,
Pupps

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-12-2005, 18:16
At the moment this is past you guys , but it may turn into something possible if our hopes for the patch come though regarding getting our hands in the hardcoded material... The AI for instance.

I've always found it quite ridiculous that in both MTW and RTW, you could be IN a forest and not be seen, but if you are BEHIND a forest and the enemy is on the total other side... magically he can see you and vice versa. (I'm speaking as though this is happening on flat terrain, but if the enemy is on a drastically higher level of land, obviously you both SHOULD be seen.)

Now since were all aiming for historical/realistic accuracy, having such a line of sight system would be appealing and beneficial. (No, I'm not talking about the kind in age of empires and the like where every unit has a set amount of area in which an enemy unit can be spotted. For clarification, I mean having it set so that if there is an object (ie:hill, mountain, building, forest.. whatever) a unit should not be able to view behind it considering its angle.) Especially for the factions and/or players that favor surprise tactics.
:hide:

Since I haven't seen this suggested I decided to spout the idea off here, and let you all take it for a spin.

Cheers,
PuppsSure. The idea is realistic and well thought off. But, IIRC, presently, it's impossible to implement because of the hard-codded battle AI.

There is another thing to add: I don't believe the patch will solve more than bug-issues. It will by no means resolve modding issues. And since there is going to be probably only 2 patches more (1.2 and 1.3) we will have to wait for the expansion to see if CA is going to solve such issues or not.

Puppyonastik
01-12-2005, 23:57
Sure. The idea is realistic and well thought off. But, IIRC, presently, it's impossible to implement because of the hard-codded battle AI.

There is another thing to add: I don't believe the patch will solve more than bug-issues. It will by no means resolve modding issues. And since there is going to be probably only 2 patches more (1.2 and 1.3) we will have to wait for the expansion to see if CA is going to solve such issues or not.

I understood this before hand. All just a tip of the hat to Hope. :hat: Thx for the reply btw.

Cheers again,
Pupps

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-13-2005, 02:14
I understood this before hand. All just a tip of the hat to Hope. :hat: Thx for the reply btw.

Cheers again,
PuppsNo problem... ~:wave:

Alexander the Pretty Good
01-13-2005, 03:03
They might ease modding with the expansion pack. Or at least seriously change a few hard-coded things beyond a patch-level amount (like with Viking Invasion).