PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Victory

turbohacker
01-12-2005, 20:51
So, which has been your greatest victory. Provide details such as:

Men deployed, enemies men deployed, kills etc.

I think my proove is sufficient :P

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/turbohacker/RomeTW1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/turbohacker/RomeTW2.jpg

Provide screenshots if you can :)

As you can see though, i was only fighting rebels, most of them where spearmen. but 3000 is quite a big number :P

TH

Dutch_guy
01-12-2005, 21:12
that was a custom battle right ?

turbohacker
01-12-2005, 21:19
no.... was campaigne...... u want screenshot of my world map?

plus u cant deply more than 20 unit slots in custom battle, so why do i have a back up army in bottom right hand corner of my map :P

Anselm
01-12-2005, 21:29
Plus theres no 'save recording' button on the victory scroll, which there would be if it was a custom battle.

turbohacker
01-12-2005, 21:55
yes, well pointed out Anslem ~:)

turbohacker
01-12-2005, 22:40
well, nobody has great victory? u tellin me no one in here has won a battle???

Mikeus Caesar
01-12-2005, 22:53
Two first legionary cohorts .vs. hordes of eastern infantry, on huge mode. Amazing.

ibejeph
01-13-2005, 01:59
I'm playing RTW now but my greatest victory was playing MTW as the Turks. I had captured Venice with an amphibious landing and a rather sophisticated army for the Early Period. Sophisticated but not large at 900 men. The Germans to my north and the Italians to my east quickly formed an alliance and sent two massive armies to wipe out my Turks. I only had Venice in Europe and until my fleet could fight through the Italian fleets, I was trapped with no hope of reinforcements.

There I was, some units of horse archers, about 500 of Saracen Infantry and the rest was Turkish and Ghazi infantry. The Germans brought 2000 men, the Italians had 1000 and both were lead by their respective Kings! Being in Venice, their attack came down from the hills, so they had a height advantage as well. Things were not looking good for my noble Turks and their Prince. :help:

The Italians came from the NW and the Germans from the NE. First, I withdrew to the base of the hills, to level the field a bit and negate their height advantage. With my HA, I was able to draw off the German's only cavalry, the various princes and heir's of the German King. The Italians had no cavalry other than their king, being composed of spearmen, feudal men-at-arms and peasants. They took many casualties from my HA.

When the armies finally met, it was a battle royal. The Italians reached me first with the Germans not far behind. My west flank was hit by waves of Italian spearmen and peasants but it held. When the German hordes came down on the east flank, it held but barely. My Turkish Prince eyed the melee and waited behind his wall of Saracens for the right moment to lend his weight to the fray.

The Italian King watched from across the battlefield as his army as it clashed with mine. His peasants had routed but his spearmen and men at arms were holding. He attempted to turn the tide with a charge into the gap of my SI. When he hit their flank, my Prince charged and killed the King with the initial blow:charge:. Then I had the HA brandish their swords and plow into their rear of the Italian army. They routed in 30 seconds.

The German King was crafty and seeing my Prince engaged, hit the eastern flank of my SI. Their were shaken and wavering, tired as they were from fighting the numberless armies of the German King. Not a moment too soon, the SI that had been holding the Italian front came around and hit the right flank of the Germans. They routed almost immediately as the German King flayed helplessly at the SI he had attempted to flank. He fought on as the SI turned to give him their full attention, unwilling to concede defeat at the hands of Infidels. A Saracen's spear found his heart soon after and he fell amongst the many men he'd lead to their deaths.

Yes, this was my greatest victory. Two Kings died, the Italians had no heirs and my Turks held onto Venice. What a victory.

turbohacker
01-13-2005, 03:50
lol, very interesting story... i dont think the AI is very "intellegent" because they dont work together on the battlefield or on campaigne map. I wipe everyone out lol.

But maybe because my setting is on easy?

Oaty
01-13-2005, 03:59
I think someone modded a temple for extra bonuses there, As I've had 3 gold chevron equites and archers but golden foot units in mass?

Legerdemain
01-13-2005, 04:03
My greatest victories are hardly worth mentioning; during a Roman campaign on medium/medium (what I play at) it's easy to get to the stage where you don't lose more than a hundred men in each battle.

More fun was a Germania/Gaul custom battle, a full stack of Gauls (barbarian cavalry, chosen swordsman, warbands) against 10 spear warbands, three units of berserkers, and two of chosen archers. My line was a lot shorter than theirs. The berserkers managed to rout two warbands and a unit of chosen spearmen to keep the right flank clear, but while I was keeping an eye on that battle the barbarian cavalry got to my left flank and sent one unit of archers routing off the field. I sent my second group in to keep the cavalry, now supported by a pair of warbands, away from the flank of my leftmost spear warband, which was still in combat with a few stubborn units of chosen swordsmen. I started my now-very-tired berserkers across the field behind my line to push the cavalry and warbands back, but the archers were losing quickly. It could've been over there, if the chosen swordsmen hadn't routed and I hadn't turned a phalanx to meet the cavalry. Once that was done, it was all mop-up. Around 1200 out of 1400-odd men on my side were left, compared with around 1000 out of 1800 on theirs--None of my units were fast enough to give effective chase.

The other recent memorable battle was generally the same setup--Gaul vs. Germania. It was a city siege custom battle. Gaul's forces were, again, chosen swordsmen and warbands--2021 men--and Germania's were a bit larger--ten spear warbands, four chosen archers (never saw combat--I kept them in reserve), a unit of screaming women for morale support at the breaches, and two units of gothic cavalry, around 1700 all told. I gave the Gauls four battering rams, and lined up my spearmen on the road in the city, with the cavalry on one flank and the archers on the second level of the city's mound, just in range of the gate. The Gaul warbands moved forward, beginning to open breaches at three wall sections and the gate. Strangely, though, they abandoned the other rams once the gate broke, and charged all 2000 men through that gap. Pausing every once in a while to counter the five frames per second my dated computer could manage, I thought things were going reasonably well--until my center phalanx started to disappear. By the time I realized how quickly it was going, it was down to around sixty men. I managed to keep them pinned down by moving a second phalanx in from one side, and then putting another in the center while they were distracted by the pointy sticks coming from the new direction. They finally started to rout, and then I sent the gothic cavalry in. They chased the pursuers all the way across the map. It's my opinion that the AI would've won if it had used its numbers better--that is, used all four battering rams and charged in all at once. The only reason the phalanxes at the gate didn't break and run was the unit of screaming women behind it, a benefit which the flanks did not have. Anyway, that battle ended with an impressive body count--2020 of the Gauls' 2021 men were dead, and around 250 of mine were. When chasing down the routers, one of my units of gothic cavalry picked up a staggering 932 kills with no losses, and the original center phalanx pulled off 460 kills with 118 losses--three men left at the end of the battle. I probably could've made a similar victory with five phalanxes, one unit of cavalry, and the screaming women, all things considered.

HarunTaiwan
01-13-2005, 09:59
I had an interesting battle yesterday.

First of all, I was beseiging and was attacked by an outside army...interesting that it didn't take place at the city.

So I line up on a nice hill on the edge of my space and when battle commences I see the one small unit of the city garrison.

I say, where is his reinforcements?

Then all my units start flashing! The reinforcement army of 1500 Greeks materialized literally within my unit lines.

Pure chaos there. I also had two small allied Julli armies appear which was much needed as I might have lost.

SOSamurai
01-13-2005, 10:29
It's moral breaking which usually makes the number differences huge in my experiences. Usually distracting/holding off/grinding down units with my infantry and missiles, and flanking with cavalry to break units works well. And then just cut the army down as it runs. That's how my biggest kill ratios are usually achieved.

Sinner
01-13-2005, 13:28
turbohacker, how come you lost any men at all? With 5 Archer Auxilia having 8 experience and +3 attack, you should have slaughtered the rebels with missile fire alone, especially fighting on Easy.

breakfastsausages
01-13-2005, 14:12
The battle I remember was the most enjoyable was fittingly the final blow that won my 50th province for the greek cities. I had been mostly ignoring europe except for italy and was happily stabbing my way through egypt when the gauls decided in the grand scheme of things they would prefer it if I were dead. It turns out all the time I was ignoring them they were building up several full 20 unit armies, but luckily I had just finished putting together a nice division of spartans. I managed to fight the gauls more or less to a stand-still just west of italy with my rome-conquering armies. Then dropped the army of spartan hoplites by sea into southern france. I only needed 1 more city to win so I went straight to siege the most southwestern city in gaul. It turns out that city contained their largest and a general or two. A second army came to attack me from outside the city so the initial numbers were 1200+ gauls against my 500 ish greeks (vh difficulty settings). And we aren't talking a hoard of peasants here, the weakest thing the gauls had was a warband, but also a good quantity of chosen swordsmen and forester warbands. Since I was heavy on the hoplites I backed myself into a corner of the map and let them come, by the end of the day both sides had been almost completely wiped out, but I came out on top having killed 1100+ barbarians, several hundred greeks died as well but I had enough left to take the city and the world victory.

I admit ratio-wise it wasn't even close to my most efficient battle, but I find that it was much more satisfying to win an epic battle where the enemy has the strength and willpower to hurt you.

dismal
01-13-2005, 16:43
I had a battle as Parthians vs. a good Scipii stack where the casualties were roughly 1200-3 in a battle that lasted about a minute.

They were busy marching up a hill into 10 or so units of P-cav and a couple eles when an onager ball took out their general and white flags went up everywhere. The rout was on, and 10 units of P-Cav thundering down a hill made pretty fast work of the routers. An archer unit must've got off one volley to account for the 3 casualties.

GFX707
01-13-2005, 16:53
I had one yesterday with 1400 kills, no casualties versus macedon. Not a single man lost.

Gotta love armoured elephants

Mikeus Caesar
01-13-2005, 20:07
For a complete massacre, i just play on huge units mode and do this: I play as Carthage, with 4 units of wonderful armoured elephants, and put two armies of pontus and parthian eastern infantry in a fort (parthians and pontics make good elephant fodder). I then batter down the walls, attack the huge army inside, and before the elephants have killed the last few people, i pull them out to admire my destructive powers. The ground will have quite literally turned pink and blue with the dead pyjama people (i call them pyjama people because they look like they are wearing pyjamas).

ibejeph
01-13-2005, 21:17
TURBO, your right, the computer never practises any strategy or tactics, so imagine my surprise when they formed an alliance AND attacked in unison. The biggest mistake the computer made was letting the 3 other units of German Royal Knights go off and chase down my HA. It took them out of the battle and allowed me to keep the two armies in check. By the time they had chased my HA off the battle map, their King was dead, his armies routed and they were staring at the shiny spears of my Saracens.

Proletariat
01-13-2005, 21:55
I don't understand this. Why do the archers appear to have full ammo left?

th3freakie
01-13-2005, 22:02
Honestly, my best victories were not those where I gave no chance to the enemy, but those where I almost lost.

Problably the one that deserved the "Heroic" title the most was when, in a Carthage campaign I'm still playing (normal/normal), I decided to meet the latest Julii armies sent to conquer Sardinia on the field, confident that since the army size was more or less equivelent I wouldn't be too hard. (1k to 1k or around that large size units)
I enter batle and understand the enemy is hiding in the forest - no big deal, I have more cavalry and can still outflank them, so... go infantry, engage and then cavaly will follow.
Problems:
- something went wrong when selecting the army or moving it, so the only present General was lest behind
- Even before the cavalry could flank anyone, almost all infantry routs - what gives?
Then I realised... sardinia is poor and small and underdeveloped and.. you get the point, no real armies can be trained there.
I was fighting using Town Watch and Peasents!
The General had to run around stoping routing units and the cavarly (brought from the mainland of course) was heavely reduced when forced to hold the line agaist the Julii.
Long story short, with some sort of divine intervention, I manage to win the battle, get them routing and even use the couple of horses left to clean some filthy red romans on the run.

That was a great victory! (and explains why that "gauge" before you enter batles showed things so bad for my side)

After a couple other "heroic" defenses of the island, I reckoned it was starting to be too expensive to maintain such a small "city" without even a port (and that wouldn't get one if I kept on recruiting in it) so... I abandoned it. Until it becoms profitable again at least.

Arrowhead
01-13-2005, 22:07
Best Battles:Five units of tanked up forester warbands against hordes of peasants, need I say more? ~D

Another:
Germania vs Rome
In my usual 9 line formation, warhounds in three lines at the front with chosen archers at the very front and after the hordes of hounds, axemen, then chosen axemen, then spear warbands with berserkers gaurding the flank of each one (sometimes I change the last three round) then screeching women and last of all the gothic cav and the general.
Roman super steamroller came to me at the top of my hill with legionary cohorts, and they outnumbered me.(BTW no cav at all! ~:eek: )
They came up the hill dying in their thousands from the chosen archers arrows, who promptly retreated behind my gothics and got hit by the wardogs and kept going, got hit by the second line and kept going, got hit by the third line kept going and then my screechers started up and 6 units routed.Finally they made their way up the hill, exhausted, and into my arms of my axemen who warcryed and smashed into them :duel: . The romans broke through but I already had warcryed my chosens and thudded into them, sendind them reeling. My chosens were hacking their way into their lines and this was exploited by my spear warbands. OOPS Gotta go sorry! ~:cheers:

The Stranger
01-13-2005, 22:11
gaul vs julii 6 vs 1800 casualties 6 casualties from own missile fire

gaul vs brutii 2000 vs 6500 with reinforcements 2times/is 3 armies
casualties 850 and a dead king vs 4200 casualties and 3 dead generals
it would be much more if there wasn't a mysterious breach in my walls
see the wall mistery thread

thats not my greatest in mtw spain vs almohads 20000 vs 7000
500 casualties vs 4500 dead

The Stranger
01-13-2005, 22:12
gaul vs julii 6 vs 1800 casualties 6 casualties from own missile fire

gaul vs brutii 2000 vs 6500 with reinforcements 2times/is 3 armies
casualties 850 and a dead king vs 4200 casualties and 3 dead generals
it would be much more if there wasn't a mysterious breach in my walls
see the wall mistery thread

thats not my greatest in mtw spain vs almohads 2000 vs 7000
500 casualties vs 4500 dead

Arrowhead
01-14-2005, 09:09
Right back again,Hereafter there was a bloodfest of romans fighting back and my soldiers getting slowly pushed back, I thought nooooooooo they are going to win and threw in my last 2 reserves, my chosen archers and my berserkers (who threw themselves in ON THE FLANK! Ouuch berserkers on your flank.)
They started running in their thousands with the gothics slaughtering them.

starkhorn
01-14-2005, 15:00
Well yes my favourite battle was a victory but it was such a silly battle is the reason that I remember...so not strictly my greatest victory....just the battle that I remember the best.

So I'm Egpyt VH/VH and I'm at war with Selucid and I'm moving towards Antioch. I have some nile spear's, some archers, slingers and some bedouin camels. Facing some chariots, lots of Phalanx's and some light greek cav from the Seluicids.

I was outnumbered about 2-1, it was a bridge battle and I was attacking. The only reason I went into the battlefield was my army was commanded by my 8-star Pharoah and theirs by a captain (god it's really annoying when the AI does that. after I won I found the Antioch garrision commanded by a 4-star general with only 300 troops...why wasn't he out commanding the 1000+army?!?)

Anyway, I deploy as usual for a bridge. Archers either side and I got 1 unit of spears to cross.

I got half-way across the bridge when the selucids sent cav and chariots against me.....so I halted my troops and decided to wait on the bridge for him and let me archers take his troops. Well what happened next was just silly. the Chariots didn't align properly to the bridge and most of them drowned....ever more silly was that this was the general unit. His cav properly routed at this and that was the pattern for the whole battle. I never had to move my spears unit once......and only 1 time did an enemy unit make it to the spears before they routed.

1 or 2 units would come up to the bridge, get killed by my archers and then rout. Remember I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE ATTACKER, but all I did was sit there (this a bug or something ?)....

Anyway I was happy as I was expecting a tough battle....eventually I got the message that I had won and whether I wanted to continue battle. Well I decided to continue so I clicked on my only cav unit which was my Pharoah who had been sitting on my side of the river all through the battle. Ordered him to hunt down the routing infantry and I sat back awaiting the slaughter............of course what occured to the AI also happened to me. The pharoah's chariots didn't align properly to the bridge and most of them drowned in the river....including my 8-star Pharoah... :dizzy2: :dizzy2:

I was gutted but I couldn't stop laughing at my own stupidity. Guess I'm just as 'smart' as the AI then. ~D

Cheers
Starkhorn