PDA

View Full Version : A temples idea

Arkatreides
01-13-2005, 12:02
I found it quite strange that each faction was only limited to the 3 temples or so it can build when historically they all had a whole pantheon. In particula I find it strange that when the Julii capture a Vulcan (say) temple they can no longer upgrade it. So my idea was to mod the building files so that all nations can UPGRADE all temples from they culture. They way to do this is to leave the tier 1 temples unaffected but make the tier 2-5 temples available to the whole culture. e.g. the tier 2-5 Vulcan temple would say:

temple_of_forge_temple requires factions { barbarian, greek, roman, }

instead of:

temple_of_forge_temple requires factions { dacia, seleucid, romans_scipii, }

This still means the temples cannot build from scratch, but they can be upgraded once captured.

Sinner
01-13-2005, 12:23
A nice idea ~:) although since the Parthians worship a single god rather than a pantheon they should perhaps be an exception.

You'll need to edit the export_buildings.txt file as well to add descriptions to the appropriate factions.

Arkatreides
01-13-2005, 12:32
I don't think export_buildings needs to be changed as the descriptions already exist (once you capture them from another faction of the same culture, you can see the description without problem) - but I will test this more thoroughly

Sinner
01-13-2005, 13:32
Actually, looking at the file it looks like it will be Ok... the descriptions are already by culture, not by faction like I feared. Cool, it's even easier to do. ~:)

Herakleitos
01-15-2005, 14:56
Good idea! Do you know if it works on previous saved games? Cause I'm playing the Seleucids right now and would like to upgrade my temple of Nike in Sparta... ~D

Arkatreides
01-15-2005, 16:01
Yes, it does. The buildings file is read at the startup of the game so it will work with the saved games.

Kraxis
01-15-2005, 16:31
Good idea! Do you know if it works on previous saved games? Cause I'm playing the Seleucids right now and would like to upgrade my temple of Nike in Sparta... ~D
The Greeks do tend to build Nike in Sparta... Wonder why... ~D

Herakleitos
01-17-2005, 11:03
I still have to wait for Spart to hit 12,000 before I can build the awesome temple though... (But the migration of peasants from Egypt is speeding up the process!)

Kraxis
01-17-2005, 18:01
So, how does it work out for the temples now? It seems such a great idea (yet I see potential balance issues), but what about other cultures? I'm thinking about Armenia, Pontus and Thrace, aren't they sort of borderlines... And can the Germans build on the Gaul tamples and Dacian temples? Or even the Scythian temples?

Arkatreides
01-17-2005, 18:13
As far as the game is concerned, Thrace is Greek, Armeania and Pontus are Eastern (but not Parthia)

Kraxis
01-17-2005, 18:42
As far as the game is concerned, Thrace is Greek, Armeania and Pontus are Eastern (but not Parthia)
Interesting since both Pontus and Armenia gets Greek gods... But hey, at least they have their own line.

Arkatreides
01-17-2005, 19:14
Yeah, I know ...

Anyway, this is how the cultures are grouped:

Barbarian:
Briton, Gaul, Germania, Dacia, Scythia, Spain

ct_carthage:
Carthage, Numidia

Egypt:
Egypt ~:)

Greek:
Greek Cities, Macedon, Seleucid, Thrace

Eastern:
Armenia, Parthia, Pontus (but Parthians have differnent God)

Parthia:
Parthia ... ~:confused: yeah, well, don't ask